Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Canard foreplanes - proper name ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Canard foreplanes - proper name ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Boo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canard foreplanes - proper name ?

Hi,

It's been eating me and I just cannot remember the "proper" name for canard foreplanes on a jet ?

Thanks,

Boo
Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Canard foreplanes - proper name ?

anytime i've seen a flying surface on the front, its always been called a Canard... or are you referring to something like what the eurosport has? as i've always called those canards as well.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe he is asking about Strakes like on the B-1 Bomber??
Old 08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boo2

Hi,

It's been eating me and I just cannot remember the "proper" name for canard foreplanes on a jet ?

Thanks,

Boo
For a minute there I thought you said "foreplay". Anyway, this is what one aviation reference says about canards;

In aeronautics, canard (French for duck) is an airframe configuration of fixed-wing aircraft in which the tailplane is ahead of the main lifting surfaces, rather than behind them as in conventional aircraft, or when there is an additional small set of wings in front of the main lifting surface.

That's the only term I know for them unless you want to call them "ducks".

Craig
Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Robrow

On the Typhoon they are referred to as foreplanes but I find I naturally refer to them as canards. Not sure what the difference is (if any) when they are not all flying?

Rob.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Big feet

ORIGINAL: Robrow

On the Typhoon they are referred to as foreplanes but I find I naturally refer to them as canards. Not sure what the difference is (if any) when they are not all flying?

Rob.
Easier to build.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Boo2

Hi,

Thanks,

Boo
Very few jets have actual canards, ie: lifting surface ala a Rutan canard.

Most of the time, they're foreplanes. Which is to say they control the nose in the same fashion as the tail-plane controls the tail.

In the case of the XB-70, it's a pitch control device that is only deployed with flaps. As you know, a delta-winged aircraft cannot have flaps, per se, because it's the same thing as down elevator. North American added the foreplanes so they could add flaps. When the flaps come down, they produce a nose-down moment. To counter this, the foreplane adds lift to the nose.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90158.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1005023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55805.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1005024  
Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
seanreit

Dan, I agree with your consensus, however, are you indicating that the airplane in the pictures is a "delta wing". I'm not sure I agree with that since it has clear horizontal stabs. I'm not saying that when that airplane deploys flaps on the wings, that the nose doesn't pitch down, it very well might, but I'm not sure that using elevators might not counter act that nose down problem.

A long time ago, I came up with the idea that canards keep the nose from stalling at a higher angle of attack, I don't know if that is right or wrong, but it works in my head. IE when I am holding full up elevator in a turn in a eurofighter, the nose does not stall out of the turn, it just keeps flying because there is an aerodynamic surface there creating lift.

Maybe I'm muddying the water, but maybe not........
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: DanSavage

Very few jets have actual canards, ie: lifting surface ala a Rutan canard.

Most of the time, they're foreplanes. Which is to say they control the nose in the same fashion as the tail-plane controls the tail.

Guess it depends on whose definition you use. The source I looked at says (in part) a canard is a "...flight control surface mounted at the front of an aircraft..." Doesn't have to be a lifting surface and may or may not be fixed. Seems like canard and foreplane are used interchangeably and some sources even refer to them as "canard foreplanes".

BTW, it looks like "foreplane" may have originally been a nautical term, such as the foreplane or bowplane on a submarine.

Personally, I still like the French term for them.......ducks.

Craig
Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
tralalala

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Dan, I agree with your consensus, however, are you indicating that the airplane in the pictures is a "delta wing". I'm not sure I agree with that since it has clear horizontal stabs. I'm not saying that when that airplane deploys flaps on the wings, that the nose doesn't pitch down, it very well might, but I'm not sure that using elevators might not counter act that nose down problem.

A long time ago, I came up with the idea that canards keep the nose from stalling at a higher angle of attack, I don't know if that is right or wrong, but it works in my head. IE when I am holding full up elevator in a turn in a eurofighter, the nose does not stall out of the turn, it just keeps flying because there is an aerodynamic surface there creating lift.

Maybe I'm muddying the water, but maybe not........
His example was concerning the NA XB-70.. aka Valkyrie... The pictures he posted are of a Sukhoi 37
Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
seanreit

Whoops, if it hasn't been obvious in the past, it should be blatantly obvious by now, that I do not know my full scale aircraft............Sorry.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think one of the most interesting canard configuration designs was used on the TU-144. It's retractable and functions similar to a traditional elevator with a hinging surface. Interesting to read the jet couldn't fly (take-off/land) without it.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: DanSavage
Very few jets have actual canards, ie: lifting surface ala a Rutan canard. ...
As far as I know the first supersonic fighter jet to employ canards was the Swedish SAAB AJ-37 Viggen which first flew in 1967.
The canards were not primarily there to increase maneuvering capability, but was a result of quite stringent STOL requirements by the Swedish Air Force.
Interestingly for Burt Rutan fans, it was the Viggen which inspered him to develop his very successful canard aircrafts. His first canard design was named [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutan_VariViggen]VariViggen[/link].
Later on when fly-by-wire and inherently unstable designs were introduced (e.g., JAS 39 Gripen) canards became foreplanes, which are not only lift augmenting devices, but are also used for control and maneuvering.

The STOL-performance of the Viggen was quite impressive (by fighter jet standards). Have a look at this YouTube clip: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpxz_-ELi6U]Viggen STOL[/link], where a full stop landing followed by a turn around and take-off is accomplished within 53 seconds, of which 8 seconds are used to spool up the engine after the full stop.

Name:	Pn35841.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1005090  
Old 08-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Robrow

Heee....heeee....just to add to the info.....the Typhoon also has flaperons and uses both flaps and foreplanes together!!

That Viggen can turnaround nearly as quick as the Typhoon

Rob.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: Red B.

As far as I know the first supersonic fighter jet to employ canards was the Swedish SAAB AJ-37 Viggen which first flew in 1967.
The canards were not primarily there to increase maneuvering capability, but was a result of quite stringent STOL requirements by the Swedish Air Force.
Interestingly for Burt Rutan fans, it was the Viggen which inspered him to develop his very successful canard aircrafts. His first canard design was named [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutan_VariViggen]VariViggen[/link].
You're absolutely right Red B. It just so happens that I built one of those later canard designs, a Vari Eze. Along with the follow on Long Eze it became one of the most popular homebuilts of all time.

The canards made the Vari Eze very maneuverable in pitch and with the small side stick controller it had the closest feel to a fighter type plane than any other light aircraft I have flown.

This is my son and I in my Vari Eze in about 1980.

Craig

Name:	Sp45316.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1005158  
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM
PARCS46
My Feedback: (35)

Hey Guy's: I need a little help trying to locate this Jet enthusiasts. Has anyone ever heard of Jim Martin? He flew his Valkyrie in the 18th Superman Jet Rally, at Cape Girardeau Regional Airport FL. in 2006. SKS video may still have a copy of that event! Jim Martin's Valkyrie is a large bird at 22lbs. w/four 4' fans, putting out 6 lbs. of thrusts each. the battery pack weight at 13 lbs., guess he wasn't using LiPo's then!

I would appreciate any info received, then I may be able to make contact with Jim Martin. He's from Illinois, near Chicago, and he mentioned on the video that he was going to kit his bird, wouldn't that be great! Thanks Much: Bill Watson - PARCS46 "Always Keep 'em' Flying"

Name:	He97419.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1648912  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts

You would probably have better luck starting a new post, rather than digging back up a 3 year old thread.