Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Battery question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
payj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

Hello,

I have a Futuba 3pk radio. I am currently running it with a 4.8v battery pack on HRS mode, but it suggest I use a 6v. Why is that? I have ran the boat a few times by now and it seems to do ok. Does it have to do with the range or something? I plan on getting a 6v soon but am running my boat tomorrow with the 4.8. It should do ok?

thanks,

Justin
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 PM
dicko

Default RE: Battery question

It will affect range and servo response time. With higher voltage the servo can rotate faster and also provide more torque. Another issue is that failsafes will kick in at low voltages. If you run 4.8V and the servos need to pull a lot of power for a hard turn, the voltage can drop below the failsafe cut off and you can find your boat in failsafe mode in the middle of the pond.

I recommend running a 5 cell 6V pack.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 PM
rcboateric
Banned

let's say if you have a Hitec 645mg rudder servo, if using a 6V battery, it would be being 133 oz of torque to turn your boat, 106 oz of torgue by 4.8V, 133 oz VS 106 oz, which battery do you like?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Dan S

the 3PK and the 3PM requires 6volts,

one of the main reason is that the built in Fail Safe low voltage cut off is set to 4.2volts, you are also running on HRS with digital servos.

6Volts is the minimum requirement, you may have loss of control, FSU may not operate and you run the risk at damaging the module and servos.

Dan.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 PM
payj

I picked up a 6v today, only thing is my charger says to use it with 4.8v or 9.6v batteries. Aww shi** the thing is completely dead and its the only charger I got. Is it possible to use it or is that just a bad idea, I'm in a pinch...

thanks
Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
rcboateric
Banned

you should go to hobbypeople to look for a new charger.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/158326.asp

Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
payj

Ok so I just realized I have 6v NIMH battery not NICD does that matter?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
rcboateric
Banned

My bad, I thought your charger didn't work, I'm using a 6v NIMH 2500 mAH battery for the receiver, never used a NICD battery so have no idea.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM
dicko

ORIGINAL: payj

Ok so I just realized I have 6v NIMH battery not NICD does that matter?
Yes it does, you will need a charger that will charge Nimh cells, you can get a new charger that will be able to charge Nimh, NiCd, LiPo & lead acid batteries at any rate you specify. They run about 100 - 170 dollars depending on how technical you want to go. I suggest you get one like the duratrax intelipeak charger or similar.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 PM
payj

thanks for the replies rcboateric I spoke with a guy at the local hobby shop and he said nimh are actually better and said it would be ok to use in my boat and to go ahead and use the charger with it. even though it is a 4.8, 9.6 charger he said it would not hurt anything? lets hope hes right lol. Its been on the charger for almost 2 hours now and it hasn't blown up or anything, which is a good start. again thanks for your help.

-Justin
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
payj

dicko, I was writing my response as you were writing yours...anyways like I said its been plugged in and I took it off and put it on the volt reader it my boat and it said it was almost 100% charged. Before it had close to nothing. So I guess it is charging it?