Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

what would be a good 1st crawler

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

what would be a good 1st crawler

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
LoudAssGeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would be a good 1st crawler

question pretty much sums it up. yall helped alot with setting up my 1/10 stadium truck so i figured i would come to yall on my new toy.

i am looking just for a "toy" crawler that i can play with. something me and my 4 year old daughter can enjoy. lol, she cant control the stadium with its Sidewinder 6700kv brushless motor. so i figured a slower moving crawler for her to play with and for me to climb rocks would be perfect.

i am looking for RTR with a modest budget of 250 or so (so axial is out of the question). have looked into the Duratrax Cliff climber and the Losi 1/18 mini crawler. the cliff climber looks ok and all with the 1/14 size, 4ws and locked diffs, but i have not seen a review on it yet and it looks a lil too stiff (no articulation). on the other hand the losi has gotten some pretty good reviews and she looks pretty flexible. both seem to be around 230.

i guess its a toss up, but i know i cant get bigger than then 1/14 or 1/18 but thats why i came here. thanks in advance!!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: what would be a good 1st crawler

Axial RTR .... Around $240ish if you shop around. IMO minis suck !
Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
vdubman

tower hobbies will price match i got my rtr axial for 234 minus the 20 doller online coupon then 9 for shipping total came to 223 shipped
Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
LoudAssGeo

see, i was thinking in that price range i was stuck getting a mini. until i went to hobby town yesterday and seen the rtr axial. but the review i read on it recently was all that hot imo. i mean the first thing needed is a 65 turn motor. they said its too fast.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
LoudAssGeo

but, then again i was watching a video of the rtr from axial and it looks really really stiff. hardly no articulation whatsoever.not to mention it seems really fast (for a crawler) out of the box. it appears to be a basher more than a crawler. and after seeing the cliff climber in person its really flexible. so i am kinda unsure of what to do.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 PM
munro300

Get the axial and soften the springs or get a softer set.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:53 AM
LoudAssGeo

ORIGINAL: munro300

is that the only thing that keeps this truck from having the articulation of a crawler? because in the video she looks like she rides on bricks.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
dacaur

Articulation is not the end all be all of crawling... too much is actualy bad... as long as the truck keeps moving forward, it has enough articulation

I was all set to get the cliff climber too... till I heard about something called "clod stall" (named after the clodbuster, which has the same setup as the cliff climber) (here is a vid http://www.hobbyzip.com/videos/404/d...f-climber.html) Its where you have a motor on each axle, , moving slowly and one axle has more weight on it, therefor more traction, so that motor stalls, while the other tires spin wildly... not a lot of crawling happens while thats going on.... Basically to completely stop it from happening, you need to have an ESC for each motor, and the ability to control them separately, like with a stick radio and one esc on each stick.... so if you are looking for low cost, go for a single motor crawler. Axial RTR or the losi, but I dont think I would be happy with a 1/18 crawler after driving my wheely king crawler... Out of those two, I would get the axial....
Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 AM
LoudAssGeo

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Articulation is not the end all be all of crawling... too much is actualy bad... as long as the truck keeps moving forward, it has enough articulation

I was all set to get the cliff climber too... till I heard about something called "clod stall" (named after the clodbuster, which has the same setup as the cliff climber) (here is a vid http://www.hobbyzip.com/videos/404/d...f-climber.html) Its where you have a motor on each axle, , moving slowly and one axle has more weight on it, therefor more traction, so that motor stalls, while the other tires spin wildly... not a lot of crawling happens while thats going on.... Basically to completely stop it from happening, you need to have an ESC for each motor, and the ability to control them separately, like with a stick radio and one esc on each stick.... so if you are looking for low cost, go for a single motor crawler. Axial RTR or the losi, but I dont think I would be happy with a 1/18 crawler after driving my wheely king crawler... Out of those two, I would get the axial....

ok i can understand that. but some articulation is good lol and the axial looks as if it has none. it just looks stiff like a NewBright from walmart. but i know the axial history and they are great crawlers, and get rave reviews. i just dont see why on this rtr. i was some flexability and i am trying to figure out what would fix it if i bought it. i know out of the box its kinda fast ( for a crawler) with the 27t motor. thats an easy fix with a 20 dollar lathe motor. but the flex is what i am looking to fix.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM
dezfan

There is nothing wrong w/ "clodstall". It is a virtue of the MDA axle design. IMO it is less of an issue that torque twist that is associated w/ a shaft driven axle design . You just have to learn to use it to your advantage. The most competitive 2.2s being built at this time are based on the Berg axles which are a MDA (motor driven axle) design. Duel ESC's are not needed to foght "clodstall", lower gearing and a little extra voltage go a long way to reducing it. Plus w/ MDAs, you can have front and rear dig for about $25.00. Lets see a shafty do that!

I own a Cliff Climber and it crawls really well. The Cliff Climber poster in that video has having some issues (as you can see the left front wheel isn't pulling) and is completely stock. W/ some very minor tuning, being sure that all 4 wheels are engaged, and some simple weight placement, the Cliff Climber is very capable for a mini crawler.

Here is another Cliff Climber video to show the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziqg6q4sL4I
Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 AM
chev12olet

Buy the axial axles and tranny and show on rcp crawler or rc4wd or even the crawler store for a good chassis.For a COMP rig or scale those axial axles and tranny will be your best bet.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 PM
munro300

ORIGINAL: LoudAssGeo

ORIGINAL: munro300

is that the only thing that keeps this truck from having the articulation of a crawler? because in the video she looks like she rides on bricks.
with a few mods you can do yourself you will be wanting less articulation on the axial,I moved my links inboard and a few other things and then had to reduce the artic cause it was too much.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM
LoudAssGeo

i can understand. i just thought by looking over the videos it appears to be really stiff and has no give.