Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Ignition replacement for Evolution 45

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition replacement for Evolution 45

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 PM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition replacement for Evolution 45

This is the second module on this motor, I can not see spending another 300 bucks on a new module, does anybody know of a module that would work? The price of the modules is a very big deterrent for buying the motor.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Ignition replacement for Evolution 45

Call CH or RC Ignitions and convert it to RCxel, Cost will be around 1/3 cost of the original ignition.

Milton
Old 08-18-2008, 06:35 PM
RC Extreme power

http://www.rcignitions.com/

http://www.ch-ignitions.com/

Milton
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

If you have a panic need to fly asapCH has a system for you NOW, but you will have to mod the engine.
If you can wait a few weeks we are prototyping a bolt on system. It should be under $115 but won't know until we get it done and are happy with the way it looks/works.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 PM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

You think they need a beta tester?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MVVS produces a conversion to the new ICU-L ignition. The conversion is a bolt-on item and includes a new prop drive washer with magnets.
Look for:
http://www.mvvs.nl/MVVS/main_bestanden/accessories.html
3314-3098 Electronic ignition ICU conversion set for 35cc (to replace Vlach ignitions), consists of ICU Ignition with Vlach type plug boot, and includes a new prop drive washer with the magnets at 120° spacing.
Price is Euro 114.04
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
cscheli

Pe,

Thanks for the response. I had sent you a PM regarding this same question last night which you can ignore. Would you happen to have a picture of that module? Or is it pretty much the same as the one that Horizon sells under the Evolution brand? 114 Euros converts to $167 USD so that's better than the $250 Horizon wants but still a bit pricey if there might still be any issues with the boot down the road.
Also can the boot be repaired at all in the event it has any issues?

Thanks Much,
Old 08-19-2008, 08:33 AM
cscheli

Pe,

Also on a seperate note I notice you have this:
3220-130 D10-WAT Walbro membrane kit for WA and WT types 26/35/45cc

Does that include the diaphram pump and all the other rubber parts I need to do a simple rebuild on the carb? Horizon doesn't even have those for the carb, they will only sell you a whole new carb.

Thanks Again,
Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM
pe reivers

It is the ICU-L version that is supplied with the MVVS 16cc and 35cc, but equipped with a Vlach-type boot. I am not sure if one can repair that at home, but am quite sure it can be sent in for repair. The firm that fits the boots should be able enough I think. I think the Evolution ignitions are different in that they do not offer the L-version, which has no choke channel. The ones I have in stock now are -S versions (with choke) for L-version price, due to momentary MVVS stock shortage of L-ignitions.

The D10-WAT kit includes gaskets and both pump and regulator membranes, like needed for small carb maintenance jobs. IMHO, it should have a place in every field box of a gas engine pilot. Are you sure Horizon does not offer it? Any chainsaw repair shop will.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
cscheli

Pe,

Is this the same version of the ignition that you have? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EVO3314SB

I called Horizon just a moment ago and they said that they cold take a look at my module if I send it in with my engine (since they don't have engines laying around to test it on) but there out of stock on the ignitions until Late October and I'm sure they have a ton of other people and distributors who are already on back order so I doubt they would be able to even replace mine if they decided to under warranty before November. So I would be without an engine as well until then. Frustrating!!!

Also I asked them about the carb membranes since they don't have them on there site hoping they would sell them seperatly from the service center, and they said nope all they sell is the entire carb for $113. And even that is on backorder with no estimated arrival date. Really frustratig!!!

I really like the performance of this engine but it's not going to be very economical to maintian and keep running unless I can find an alternate supply of redially available parts. I'll try my local chain saw shops on the carb parts.

The Rcexcl ignition looks really good for $70 if it would be a drop in fit and I look forward to seeing the C and H as another local alternate. And I can replace or repair both of those boots if damaged.

I'm honestly considering getting this thing running and selling it in favor of something like a DA 50 just becase I can get the support I need to keep me flying. Which would be a shame becuase its a great engine and runs really good.

Thanks again for your help and expertise,

Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM
pe reivers

yes, for practical purposes, it is the same. In the basics, your engine is MVVS, so you can use MVVS replacement parts.
With an ignition that means that you have to be sure that prop driver washer (with magnets) matches the ignition you will use.
In the MVVS ICU ignition, the North pole magnet fires the ignition, and the other magnet, leading by 120°, is a south pole item, used for algorithm control and reverse rpm shut-off.

I am testing the RCexcl ignitions on my current tow plane, and making a magnet ring is no big deal IF I have your engine's prop drive washer to convert. So far. I like most of what I see, save for the viscious kick-back that these ignitions may show when flipped slowly like a ICU. When you flip that prop, you have to mean business. ICU ignitions fire very close to top dead centre, and will not kick back, unless you rotate the prop in a slowhand-playful fashion.
Also, the RCexcl ignition will not shut off, and stays live as long as the juice is on. Knowing MVVS, just a lazy flip will set the engine running if the carb is adjusted well, so with the RCexcl ignition the engine is alive and kicking as long as the ignition is turned on. The ICU ignition goes dead after 90 seconds of zero rpm, wich may help save fingers, hands, or even more of the unweary that can't resist playing with your prop.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
RC Extreme power

That is the same as the Falkon ignition and I used ti like them until they started to give problems,

I have been converting, buying and flying gas engines for about 12 years now and used mostly CH ignitions which are the same set up as the RCxel and have never had one to bite me. I do like the idea of the ignition turning itself off but for the cost I can live without it.

Milton
Old 08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: RC Extreme power

That is the same as the Falkon ignition and I used ti like them until they started to give problems,

snip

Milton
Not by a long shot.
Falcon was nice though, but not in the same league as ICU or RCexcl considering durability. CH has helped to make the already good RCexcl ignition even better.
These two present opposite ends of the model engine ignition spectre. Both are very reliable and both give what you pay for. Extra options do not come cheap in the low volume market that we model engine users represent. That is why the ICU is quite a bit more ecpensive.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
cscheli

Pe,

How long does it normally take for your items to ship and arrive in the US? And do you send via UPS, FedEx, or another?

Thanks,

Sean
Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
pe reivers

I ship first opportunity as soon as I get the order, per conditions as noted in [link=http://www.mvvs.nl/MVVS/main_bestanden/Shipping.htm] My shipping info [/link]
Fedex starts at about USD 90.00 (shipping only), but provides full track-trace and faster shipping. Choices are yours. It will be cheaper if you arrange a pick-up. The Dutch Fedex charge through the nose.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 PM
tkg

OK its ready
CH has a bolt on-no modification timing kit for the 35cc + Evolution engines. The complete package (ignition, timing kit) is $99.95 for a single, twins are $ 119.95 plus S&H.
The timing adjusts from 25-35 degrees BTDC so you can do some super tuning with different exhaust setups
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 AM
pe reivers

That is an excellent price.
I currently have this ignition (own conversion set) on my 58cc engine, timed at 27°. Runs flawlessly.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM
skillet92

TKG What is the web site i have a 45gt2 that i need an ignition for???
Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM
cscheli

Do you have any pics yet?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
tkg

We just got them in. No pn yet, just call and order the "new Evolution kit" 307 858 6897
Terry

ORIGINAL: cscheli

Do you have any pics yet?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97639.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1024664  
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Outlw36

how much for just the adapter mount?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM
tkg

ORIGINAL: Outlw36

how much for just the adapter mount?
$99.95 and I'll throw in a free ignition.
Sorry right now the demand exceeds the supplies. When we get caught up, we will work out the timing kit as a separate item