Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS 61SX H Crank Shaft removal problem

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 61SX H Crank Shaft removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 61SX H Crank Shaft removal problem

I am trying to install a new crank shaft in a OS 61SX H engine but I am having trouble getting the old shaft out. The piston rod just won't lift up enough to get it off the shaft. I hope the liner doesn't have to be taken out isn't it pressed in. All my other engines when you take the backplate off the piston rod just pulls up and off easily. What's the trick.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 61SX H Crank Shaft removal problem

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzEco3EDUM
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSoXPLGzOI

Xjet's videos might help....
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Basil Yousif

Great just bake the engine at 300 degrees for 10 minutes to get the liner out and heat with a torch to get the bearings out. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Basil Yousif

I put the new shaft in but am confused about the Heli vs the airplane shaft. Are they different lengths from the bearing to the end of the shaft. I got the .61SX h engine the shaft I got extends 1 3/16" inches from the bearing to the end of the shaft. Will this work for a heli where you need to get the clutch/Fan assembly on instead of the airplane shaft where you would need the thickness to take the prop washer and propeller hub.
Also when I put the backplate on the shaft won't turn when the screws are tightened only when there loose. A small amount of pressure makes the difference. Does the shaft usually have to be pushed forward in place.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...either the rear bearing or the crankshaft, or both, are not fully seated forward.

Re-heat the case and bump the crankshaft forward with a few sharp raps and seat
the parts.... or remove the crankshaft, heat the case, and bump the outside race on
the rear bearing with a drift punch to make sure it is seated.

FBD.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 383 Likes on 309 Posts

Will this work for a heli where you need to get the clutch/Fan assembly on instead of the airplane shaft where you would need the thickness to take the prop washer and propeller hub.
No. In most cases it will push the assembly up into the clutch bell. If you're using it in a heli you need the heli crankshaft or you're going to have to cut the airplane one down.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Basil Yousif

OS engine support said the OSMG4641 is the same as the OSMG4643 (one manual calls for) but I think they are different. The 4641 is not for the WC version of this engine and the 4643 is. The 4641 was cheaper so I got it thinking they were the same. The crank area behind the bearing is a hair thicker on the 4641 that's why the backplate stops the shaft from turning.