Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Gear keeps coming off...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:17 AM
jpetrusek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear keeps coming off...

Stock motor on my Nitro Razor, the smaller gear on the engine keeps spinning off. Can I use some loc-tite (I'm thinking blue?) to hold it on?

The gear in red is the one that keeps coming off the spot marked in red in front of the larger gear..

Thanks for the info!

John
Old 05-20-2003, 03:16 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Tool

You need a way to hold the other pinion to tighten it. Serpent makes a tool for this as I think Mugen does also.
You could use a rag and hold it in your hand, thats the way I do mine. Just make sure to get it tight for now and grab the tool.
Tower may have one.

Dbow
Old 05-20-2003, 01:11 PM
jpetrusek

Default Re: Tool

Originally posted by dbow
You need a way to hold the other pinion to tighten it. Serpent makes a tool for this as I think Mugen does also.
You could use a rag and hold it in your hand, thats the way I do mine. Just make sure to get it tight for now and grab the tool.
Tower may have one.

Dbow
Cool I'll check out the local hobby shop.. Can I still put threadlock on there just to be safe?
Old 05-21-2003, 01:32 PM
jpetrusek

well I took apart the entire engine last night. Cleaned every last bit of it, looks like new again! I even took some light-grit sandpaper to the pies and muffler to get some of the rust/scratches out. They're a nice not-so-mirroed finish now. I used some elbow grease and blue loc-tite to hold that gear on, lets hope it sticks.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:47 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch bell gear that is backing off is for first gear. When the car shifts into second, the larger spur gear (first gear on the spur) should spin freely on a one way bearing. If this bearing is dirty (and doesn't spin freely but has some resistance to it), it will apply pressure to the clutch bell and over time will unscrew first gear from the clutchbell (this also robs power from the engine and will negatively affect performance in second gear).

I would take the 2 speed assembly apart and check the one way bearing for smooth operation.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:55 PM
jpetrusek

Originally posted by i8tweety
The clutch bell gear that is backing off is for first gear. When the car shifts into second, the larger spur gear (first gear on the spur) should spin freely on a one way bearing. If this bearing is dirty (and doesn't spin freely but has some resistance to it), it will apply pressure to the clutch bell and over time will unscrew first gear from the clutchbell (this also robs power from the engine and will negatively affect performance in second gear).

I would take the 2 speed assembly apart and check the one way bearing for smooth operation.
well I can spin the gears by hand and they seem okay, but I'll do that.. I just remove the allen screw on the front of the two gears right?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:15 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quick and dirty way of checking it (without major surgery) is to remove the engine and spin the gear by hand. It should spin freely in one direction (with minimal resistance and not feel gritty) and lock to the shaft in the other direction. Remember - any resistance felt when spinning it by hand is magnified by the rpm it turns when you are running your car.