Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Installing a Stator coil for electric power

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Installing a Stator coil for electric power

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 AM
asong26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Stator coil for electric power

Hi,

Is it possible to modify the magneto, or add a secondary independent coil for power generation onto motors such as G260RC, or G230 motors?

I am trying to create an alternator without the added weight and space of a brushless motor. I'd like create something that will provide power to a dual regular at 6V and 12V to power accessories such as lights while powering servos.

Possible?

Another thought is to modify an extra stock magneto and mount it in the flywheel enclosure similar to how the the stock magneto is mounted on these engines.

Thank you.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Installing a Stator coil for electric power

Sullivan made something like this a while back. Don't think it caught on.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

I think there was to much radio interference with the system but now with the 2.4 that might be a different story.

Milton
Old 08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: asong26

Hi,

Is it possible to modify the magneto, or add a secondary independent coil for power generation onto motors such as G260RC, or G230 motors?

I am trying to create an alternator without the added weight and space of a brushless motor. I'd like create something that will provide power to a dual regular at 6V and 12V to power accessories such as lights while powering servos.

Possible?

Another thought is to modify an extra stock magneto and mount it in the flywheel enclosure similar to how the the stock magneto is mounted on these engines.

Thank you.
A magneto is a special application of a brushless motor. Its designed to give a high voltage output to create a spark.
What you need is 6V not 25KV. A low voltage alternator is what you need to get voltage and current to drive servos.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
PAPE

this can be created with a brushless motor??? how???
Old 08-31-2008, 12:51 AM
dirtybird

Can what be created by a brushless motor?
A magneto is an inrunner brushless motor. It needs no diodes because you are only using the positive pulse.
An outrunner brushless motor is a multiphase alternator. All you would have to do is hook diodes to the output coils to get DC out of it when you drive it like a generator. Then you would have to have a regulator to get the voltage you want. You would have to rewind the coils to get decent efficiency.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 PM
asong26

I am aware of the brushless motor based alternators using rectifier / regulator combo. Wanted to see if there was a way to reduce weight and space down further. My intention is to install this onto the car.

I removed the magneto unit the other day and thought, if the magnet can generate up to 20,000 volts based on RPM, then why can't we tame this voltage down to lower voltage to say 6 to 7 volts.

If I understand correctly, magneto amplifies the voltage by passing the electricity through a secondary coil within the magneto. My thought was, what if we eliminated the secondary coil? How much electricity would it then generate? If it's down to a manageable level, then instead of using a brushless motor, we can simply mount a secondary magneto specifically for alternator purpose.

The downside of the brushless motor is that it requires a gear to rotate. Which means, in my case, the flywheel itself needs to be modified to have a gear installed on it. This poses another problem of actually fitting the brushless motor in the vicinity of the flywheel.

Since the application for this alternator is on a RC buggy, strapping the brushless motor onto a spur gear is not practical, since the gear doesn't spin at idle.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
dirtybird

I removed the magneto unit the other day and thought, if the magnet can generate up to 20,000 volts based on RPM, then why can't we tame this voltage down to lower voltage to say 6 to 7 volts.

If I understand correctly, magneto amplifies the voltage by passing the electricity through a secondary coil within the magneto. My thought was, what if we eliminated the secondary coil? How much electricity would it then generate? If it's down to a manageable level, then instead of using a brushless motor, we can simply mount a secondary magneto specifically for alternator purpose.
You can of course. All you have to do is rewind the coil. Then to get DC you have to add diodes. Then to get the voltage you want(at all speeds) you need a regulator.
Have at it. Tell us how you make out.

On second thought I guess you will not need the diodes. The magnets for the magneto are on one side of the shaft so I guess you will not have the negative pulse. But that means you will get only 1/2 the power you would get from an alternator or a brushless motor.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 AM
asong26

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

You can of course. All you have to do is rewind the coil. Then to get DC you have to add diodes. Then to get the voltage you want(at all speeds) you need a regulator.

On second thought I guess you will not need the diodes. The magnets for the magneto are on one side of the shaft so I guess you will not have the negative pulse. But that means you will get only 1/2 the power you would get from an alternator or a brushless motor.
I think even at 1/2 the power, it would be sufficient to provide enough power to supply the juice needed to the receiver, which power 2 servos at 6V. Also, are you saying that this setup does not require a rectifier?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
twpetry

This is probably not a lot of help but might be worth looking into. Tanaka Power Equipment , (chain saws , trimmers, etc. (A Japanese mfg. co. )) used to make an electric start trimmer (weed whacker ) that used a combination starter/alternator, that was pretty reliable and ingenious, would both start the engine and charge the battery. I don't know what the voltage was but maybe a Tanaka dealer-repair place could give you more info on the set up .
I know this because I had a landscaping business for 20 years.

Tom
Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TOM: That was good thinking! Capt,n P.S. I see you are new on here...welcome to engine world!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Eagleburger

I have seen it done on 20cc gas choppers. I dont have details though.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I think even at 1/2 the power, it would be sufficient to provide enough power to supply the juice needed to the receiver, which power 2 servos at 6V. Also, are you saying that this setup does not require a rectifier?
No you will not need a rectifier. But you will need a good filter.
It all depends on what servos and receiver you plan to use. Some servos can draw up to 4A. A high servo drain can drop the voltage to less than what the receiver needs. ( about 3 volts) The new receivers that have a microprocessor will reboot and you could lose control until it comes back on line.