Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

tuned pipe for 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 AM
trickysavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuned pipe for 5.9

I had bought a xl a couple months ago and noticed a lot of the issues with the HPI tuned pipe (hunk of junk). I did not have the money to replace it right away but now I do.

I have been reading posts on the ofna 086 pipe and I had read one about a kid running a gpm pipe and watched both videos on youtube. The trucks run great by the way.

To get to my question my LHS mentioned a THS pipe "made" for bigger engines and from what I have heard they are good pipes, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience using a THS pipe before and if it would be worth my money to try.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:41 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tuned pipe for 5.9

I've been watching this pipe debate too. Anyone have a p/n for the GPM pipe? Does this GPM pipe require a new header to run it?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 PM
black mamba

Is the OFNA 086 pipe the same as the Dynamite 086 pipe? I'm starting to get confused here.[&:]

How about this BUKU pipe?

http://www.bukupower.com/bigBlock.html

http://rc411.com/pages/scopes.php?scope=47&page=2
Old 08-31-2008, 06:05 PM
BudBud

It was interesting to watch Bankrupter go through the Buku challenge. I think he got frustrated and boxed his up again. Is that all the GPM pipe is? A buku with a new or different name? Bud
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 PM
black mamba

John Schultz from HPI ran a BUKU on his *small block* powered Savage and mopped up at the Digger event. I never did find out what engine it was. $110 for the BUKU is kinda pricy....and it doesn't come with a header from what I see.[&:]
Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 PM
BudBud

I think Bankrupter left this forum because of all the modified posts, but he was doing a pretty thorough job of working with that Buku. It was interesting to follow, I always respected his opinions. He is the main reason I never tried the Buku. It looks like they are skating the edge of too lean all the time.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM
black mamba

Hey BB, I edited my post above so you probably didn't see it. Are the OFNA 086 and Dynamite 086 the same pipes?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
black mamba

"I think the Ofna 086 Ofna part# 10056 pipe with a short buggy header is the best you can find for an extended chassis. It does not work well on a standard Savage chassis though because of the location of the fuel charge nipple. For a standard chassis, the Tsais header and Dynamite 086 pipe seem to work the best. The buggy headers will not clear the shock tower on a standard Savage. The fuel nipple on the Ofna pipe will wind up pointed straight down or straight into the chassis plates, neither being the ultimate set up. The Dynamite pipe has a wider angle for the fuel nipple and when you point the exhaust stinger down, the nipple lays next to the chassis."

From the man himself, BB. [8D]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 PM
BudBud

Boy, A guy goes out to burn off a little nitro and when he gets back, his spot has been taken.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:48 PM
black mamba

I just kept the seat warm for ya while you were out................