Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ phenolic block sealant??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZDZ phenolic block sealant??

Hi all, I'm just about ready to bolt on a brand new WT 76a carb on my ZDZ 40 . I noticed a small amount of some type of sealant that is grey in color on both sides of the hard, fiberous brown phenolic block that was previously used. All the gasket sealers (Red RTV) I have on hand says not compatible with long term exposure to gasoline. I do have a small can of Permatex "High Tack" gasket sealant that states and I qoute "Will not be disolved by gasoline, kerosine glycol, transmission fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze solutions, grease, glycerine, lube oils, propane or butane gasses"! Also the can states" High Tack never hardens therfore prevents seizing and permits easy dissassembly". The can comes with a brush to apply and the sealant has the consistancy of very thick grape juice. Do you think this stuff will work. Of course I'll be very careful not to obstruct any holes or passages. OR is there something better?? Thanks in advance as I'd like to fly the plane tomorrow afternoon. This is the stuff I'm referring to http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...9400&YAHOOSHOP
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 PM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ZDZ phenolic block sealant??

Hey Bass, I wouldnt use any sealant just install new gaskets
Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Bass1

There were no gaskets. Just the block and a sealant of some sort.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Gaskets are old school.... Most all engines are using liquid gasket material. Better sealing. Each engine manufacturer will use their own particular liquid gasket brand. Check with them and use it!! Easy.

Cheers

Henry
[link=http://www.zrcgf.com]RCGF Engines - North America[/link]

Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Bass1

Yeah, That was my last resort as I was hoping to button this thing up and reinstall the engine in the airplane tonight to be able to fly it tomorrow BUT I definitely don't want to have to re- do it especially with the rear carb and no engine box on the airframe. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to fly something else.. although that Permatex "High Tack" gasket sealant looks awfully tempting!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Bass, That Permatex wors great, I've used it many times. Use it sparingly, a little bit goes a long ways .............
Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Bass1

Antique, Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it would be ideal to me and I stumbled on it at the auto parts store as I've been down the sealant isle many times and never noticed the stuff. I received an Email from Mike Dooley at RC Showcase (ZDZ engines) and he told me they use "Permatex Moto Seal 2 cycle Cranckcase sealant". Probably would be difficult to find so I'll give the Permatex high tack a shot and WILL use it sparingly as you suggested.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silicone gasket material sold as RTV (red or blue) works well also. Spread it on (rub in) real thin on both contact surfaces, and let it get dry to the touch before you assemble.
I use it often on bare metal assembly, but also to cover both sides of regular gaskets to re-use them!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

ok i guess gaskets are old shool espspecially if you dont have them go to the motorcycle shop and pick up Honda bond or Yamaha bond crankcase sealer or whatever jap bike dealer happens to be the closest.