Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Need advice on doing the Harrier

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Need advice on doing the Harrier

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Ken4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on doing the Harrier

Today I attempted the harrier, but there seems to be a problem. I cut throttle, slowly pull up elevator to get the nose up, add a little throttle to keep it from stalling. It's very difficult to get my plane stable in a 45deg angle. When I do manage to get it into a 45deg angle, the wings rock back and forth, sort of like protesting. And even when Im not doing any aileron correction, the wings keep rocking (swaying back and forth) by itself. It's definately not the wind, cos it was a calm day. Why is my plane so unstable? Is there something wrong with me or the plane? Do I need to adjust the CG back to do 3D manoevers? Im flying the Fliton Votec 351 with OS56alpha 4stroke. Isnt this supposed to be a 3D plane?

My 1st attempt on video here. 4:05mins onwards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBdycAnXhk

Thanks for your replies.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need advice on doing the Harrier

What you are refering to is called "wing rock". Your question could best be answered in the 3D forums but I will tell you from my experience that many of the smaller 3D planes will have excesive wing rock in harrier. The wing rock is caused by one wing stalling and falling then you correct and stall the other wing and you just go back and forth. You may be able to tame it by laterally ballancing your model. Sometimes flapperons or spoilerons can help as well.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Ken4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh....now that makes alot of sense. My engine is mounted sideways, so it is heavier on one side. When I hold the plane up (by the spinner and fuselage), the plane it not balanced laterally and drops to the heavier side. Have to figure out a way to balance my plane. Thanks very much for your quick answer!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This question is beyond the scope of the Beginner's forum. I'm moving it to the 3D forum, they will better suited to answering your question.

Ken