Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Heat-sink Airflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:10 AM
NitroHolmes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat-sink Airflow

Does anyone know what direction the airflow through the heat-sink(head) is suppossed to go? Does it matter? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about adding a fan to my engine but I wanted to know which way I should have it blow...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80547_34814.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	47610  
Old 05-22-2003, 05:11 AM
NitroHolmes

or like this?

Name:	80548_34814.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	47611  
Old 05-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Dlock

I would think the best way would be for it to go accross the heatsink. I would put it toward the front of the vehicle and let it blow to the rear. I modded your picture a little .....

Name:	80551_21532.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	47612  
Old 05-22-2003, 06:02 AM
NitroHolmes

Cool, thanks. Do you think it's necessary to cut holes in the windshield of an MT? I was thinking it might not be necessary because of how high up the body is, which would allow air flow to flow over the heat-sink as it is.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:32 AM
aznx2fine

ALWAYS CUT HOLES IN A NITRO VEHICLE...remember that
Old 05-23-2003, 03:06 AM
spadworld

If you already have a fan that'll mount to the top you'll want it to draw air up like in airflow 2. The reason there are heat sink extensions is to draw the heat away from the engine. HEAT RISES! you want to pull cool air into the lower fins to cool teh engine and head and suck it out of the top. Just remember heat rises and you'll never get a heatsink installed wrong or fan blowing wrong.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:57 AM
NitroHolmes

Duh, heat rises......why didn't I think of that? :stupid: I guess it was so obvious that I didn't see it...
Old 05-23-2003, 04:32 AM
Dlock

I cut out the front window right in front of the cooling head. Along with the side passenger window. And then one more directly behind the cooling head. It really depends on the type of body you run. If it's truck style you won't need the one behind the head bacause the head actually sticks out of the bed. If it's a hummer you actually cut part of the rear of the cab out to make it fit nicely. If it's a SUV then you cut out a rear window so the air does not get damned up inside the body and flows freely through...
Old 05-23-2003, 04:43 AM
solo racer

Originally posted by spadworld
If you already have a fan that'll mount to the top you'll want it to draw air up like in airflow 2. The reason there are heat sink extensions is to draw the heat away from the engine. HEAT RISES! you want to pull cool air into the lower fins to cool teh engine and head and suck it out of the top. Just remember heat rises and you'll never get a heatsink installed wrong or fan blowing wrong.
But if you mount a fan on top you can't use the glow ignitor unless you use a special type.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:51 AM
NitroHolmes

Yeah, the whole fan idea is looking like less and less of a good one the more I think about it....
Old 05-23-2003, 03:42 PM
jpetrusek

ya know I mod PC cases and thought about doing the same thing for my Razor. I was thinking of making more of a "radiator" type fan, in the front of the car blowing the air over the engine. Maybe add some ductwork or something even? Who knows could prove promising.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:24 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

I have seen a magazine with a 4 stroke nitro engine that did in fact have a little duct work and a functional fan, it was a 1/8 buggy and couldn't have worked without the fan unit without over heating. Generally the 4 stroke engines are used on airplanes where cooling isn't a problem. Apparently its a good idea that has the potential to work, if you are after better cooling beyond what the carb needles can produce.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:23 PM
NitroHolmes

You say you're into PC mods....have you ever heard of heat-pipes? Do you think they'd work here?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:40 PM
jpetrusek

hmm a heatpipe would probably work, you'ld still need some sort of fan to cool the pipe. but that would be easier if maybe you could replace the heatsinks with a heatpipe?
Old 05-23-2003, 08:08 PM
fun_dude101

I knew a guy who put a fan in the front mounted to his hood. Then used the cockpit off of a 1/8 buggy to make a duct to the engine. So the air would flow from the hood through the duct and onto the bottom part of the fins. He tested it with a temp gun and it ran cooler when he added it. I can't remember how much cooler. been a while