Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

air filter/after run oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 04:57 AM
nunnya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter/after run oil

Alright, I have the air filter ready to put over the carb but it doesn't look like it'll fit over? Is there any easy way of stretching the filter so the rubber boot like thing won't rip? Also, everytime you run your engine, even when heat cycling at idle, you put in after run oil. Do you put it in the head and carb of the engine? Also, if you put it down the carb you have to remove the air filter everytime, is that difficult?
Old 05-23-2003, 06:33 AM
Burrabú

It either fits tightly around the carb, is too small for it, or is a little bit loose (which means it will fall off any second with vibrations). Some are too loose, some are too tight. Put it in at an angle then work your way to the other side sliding back and forth... it's hard to explain. But if it's too hard then it's not the right size.

Rip=too small

After-run oil can be applied either via the head or the carb. Some people do both, I do neither unless it'll be a looong time 'til my next run. Putting it through the head involves removing the glow plug and therefore I consider it too risky because who knows what will fall inside. The damage any particles that fall inside will cause to the engine later on defeats the purpose of the after-run oil

So I go for the carb, I remove the foam filter only, not the whole air filter. So it's easy but a tiny bit messy on your fingers but you get to clean the air filter foam, which is also good. IMO the carb opening is not as dangerous to expose as the engine head is.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:35 AM
dg2b

Filters are your best friend in this hobby. This is true for both fuel and air. I would not sacrifice a few dollars saved. I would buy the correct filter for your carb. Look into the motor savers.

For after run oil - if only idling, I would not use. I only drop about 5 into the carb and then turn the engine a few times to spread the oil internally.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:06 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

i only use after run oil if im putting the car up for a while. i try to drive a few times a week, so there really isnt a need for it imo.

even if i drove once a week i wouldnt use it yet.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:24 PM
shoehead

Motor saver filters are cool cause you dont have to remove them!
You just take the top of and put the oil in. There is a good reason
to put it in the carb though and not the head. When you put
it in the carb and turn the engine over several times it gets the
oil all through the internals through the fuel path. If you put it
in the head it wouldnt get to the crank shaft as much.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:55 PM
nunnya

Ya, I'm just using the filter from the rc10gt kit but it won't fit my novarossi. So I should get a filter that fits, (preferably a motor saver one), and drop it through the carb? When your not running your car how do you protect the engine head, just leave the glow plug in?
Old 05-23-2003, 09:03 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

After run oil will eventually build up inside the engine so it's only good to use if you're not going to be running for a matter of weeks or months. Just a few drops is all you need then turn the engine a few times.