Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Too many choices... HELP!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Too many choices... HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many choices... HELP!!!!

So, I'm getting back into the R/C hobby... I dusted off and flew several planes this past weekend after about a year break. This weekend I'm taking my switzer 300(nitro hawk sport converted to Pro+ scale fuse) out for a go... spending LOT'S of time on G-4 this week

Anyway, I'm interested once AGAIN in getting an electric heli to fly in the back yard, pratice hovering and so on when I just can't get out to the flying field, NO 3D!!!!!!! I'm to damn old and slooooow and, I've always been more interested in SCALE than 3D.

What I HAVE... 8 HS-55 servos, several small 6-8 channel receivers, several Lipo's/chargers (11.1v various maH) and of course my tried and true pair of futaba 9C's. I COULD pull my 401 gyro out of my hawk but I'd rather NOT.

What I WANT... not sure!!! I think something in the 450 size CP RTF thats a good solid SCALE type flying machine... if it turns out that its also a 3D machine fine... I'd rather give up 3D performance for solid scale performance. I've been looking at several RTF heli packages that range in price from $150 to $300... I really don't want to spend more than I need to. I don't think I need a Trex or mini titan for what I want... I don't want junk either. MOST important to me in the RTF package, Mechanics first and foremost, motor/ESC second, Gyro 3rd, Radio,receiver and servos not so much... charger not at ALL... I probably won't use it. Battery... well I've learned that these are expendable and I have some that will work anyway.

Here's some of the packages so far

http://www.xheli.com/7channels.html

BlackHawk 450SE... good choice for my needs? more than I need? better service life with all the upgrades?

Exceed G2... step down from the above... same basic questions.

Belt CP... step down from BOTH the above... same basic questions.

Any other heli's I should be looking at... PLEASE let me know!!!

Thanks
John
Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Too many choices... HELP!!!!

with your choice, the only downfall I see is that the main gear isn't the same as a t-rex, no big deal at all I guess, but I'm thinking that if it was compatible you wouldn't have to wait for parts..

with that said, I've been looking at this one, but it's not RTF like you are looking at...

http://www.xheli.com/version-2-exi-450-helicopter.html

I'd go with a t-rex or clone just for parts availablity...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

You could go the route of EXI 450 which completely compatible with the Trex SE V2 for parts and put whatever innards in you want. X-heli just had them on sale which I bought one, shoulda bought two.
Anyway its another option.

happy fly'n
Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Missileman

I have a number of helis both nitro and electric and I have been quite happy with an HDX 450 from Helidirect.com
I have even installed it in a scale EC135 fuselage. (the fuselage is from Align)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80343.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1034738  
Old 09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: Missileman

I have a number of helis both nitro and electric and I have been quite happy with an HDX 450 from Helidirect.com
I have even installed it in a scale EC135 fuselage. (the fuselage is from Align)
how is that fuselage to put together? I'm thinking about putting one on an MX400 this winter...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Check out DarthDrk heli bodies too... he has a big selection to choose from and good quality, good prices.

happy fly'n
Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

Check out DarthDrk heli bodies too... he has a big selection to choose from and good quality, good prices.

happy fly'n
oh man, I butchered one of those.. it was a mess... that whole patience thing didn't work out in my favor

it was a very nice body, until I got hold of it...
Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 PM
jsn

Thanks for the input guy's... I've been doing some checking up on Xheli.com... I will NOT be ordering from them...even though I live in Vegas I'm not a gambler

I'm leaning more towards the BH450 from Ka-planes... the T-rex is nice but I'm not willing to spend that much right now and I'd like something to fly NOW... the T-rex or knock-off will be my NEXT project... heck I have over a dozen planes so half a dozen heli's should be about right

John
Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Dave ESPI

Hirobo QUARK SRB.

Its a holy Grail for us who like to fly, and want to relax and not have a heart pulse rate of 140 every second its in the air for fear of crashing.

seriously, check it out. You will love it, I promise
Old 09-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: thestratcat

ORIGINAL: Missileman

how is that fuselage to put together? I'm thinking about putting one on an MX400 this winter...
It wasn't real hard. The part I had problems with was sliding the rear fin through, I ended up cracking the tail a little. (Note: to avoid this problem make sure nothing like a control rod guide or anything else is in the way )
Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 AM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a BlackHawk 450 SE I got from KA Planes thats been flying well since last year. At on point I put a bell 222 body on it. Its out of service right now due to pilot error but it will be back up and running.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68411.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1035095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88762.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1035096  
Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Edwinssiv

I had a Black Hawk 450. Great stable helicopter. I loved flying it...all the way up to the point I ran into a chain link fence and broke the frame. Ka-Planes has great customer service...I would recommend them highly!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
jsn

Thanks Ed... just what I wanted to hear... well not the chain link part[] just so happens my back yard is bordered with block wall... that shouldn't hurt the heli like chain link... right

I've spoke with mike over at Ka... I'll be placing my order friday per the wifes orders[:'(] damn women...always making us wait

On another note... I flew my nitro today... well hovered it in the drive way... felt GOOD after over a year break! time permiting I'll take it out this weekend for some real flight time.

John