Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Charging AA

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 AM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging AA

Is it safe and ok to charge recharcheble AA batteries in a superbrain 960 charger in a 4.8V battery reciever pack.If you do not know what i mean the recieve rpack for rc cars that you stick 4 Aa betteries in,is it ok to charge the batteries in that with a 960 charger?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
systemlord

Default RE: Charging AA

Charging AA's in a drycell (thats what there called) box only if the charge rate doesn't exceed .5 amps or 500mAh. The reason being because theres electrical resistance between all those nickle plated springs, if they were gold plated then maybe you could charge at a higher rate. I just leave my NiMH rechargeable TX battery plugged into the wall charger 24/7 until I need it again, this doesn't cause any problems.

If you charge at a higher rate, you could send the charge current back onto the charger causing it to melt of explode! In any case always charge NiMH and Li-pos @ 1C, if you have an 8 cell 9.6V 1600mAh battery then 1C would be 1.6 amps. Remember we are just talking about TX or RX batteries, NiMH batteries can be charged at 3C if there designed for it and if the leads or wires are 10-12 gauge. A battery with thicker leads (10-12 gauge) can handle the extra current, those little 2.5mm leads are small so keep the charge rate low in this case.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 AM
naynay12

Oh thanks for the explanation.I have a wall charger though it has no indication of when the batteries are charged.Though if i ever do decide to charge it in a dry cell,you say to charge at no more then 500mah,does that mean do not charge batteries that have more then 500mah?Sorry im not that experienced with elctrnics like chargers.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Oh thanks for the explanation.I have a wall charger though it has no indication of when the batteries are charged.Though if i ever do decide to charge it in a dry cell,you say to charge at no more then 500mah,does that mean do not charge batteries that have more then 500mah?Sorry im not that experienced with elctrnics like chargers.
If you are going to charge your drycell with any programable charger, don't set the charge rate more than .5 amps. You can always charge a battery at a lower rate than 1C, example: You have a 9.6V 1600mAh TX battery for your transmitter, you can charge it at .6 amps if you wish, it will just take longer to charge it to full capacity.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:30 AM
naynay12

Oh ok thanks for that,ill forbably set it to .3 twice as wuick as my over night charger.I just hope your working out is right and that it will be ok with . 5
Edit:It does not matter howmany mv it is set to right?