Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cub help wanted

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cub help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 06:43 PM
george-rca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub help wanted

Hello,
I have a 6o size Cub, in need of windshield and side material for windows. Can anyone recoginize what mfg. it is? I have no Idea who built it, I lost the windshield in an unsucessfull landing. Any suggestions as where to get material for windows and how to make the windshield, especially around the upper area that juts out for the wing.

I need a new cowl also.
Crashes do all kinds of nasty things to an airplane.
Check the web for picture, Thanks
Click here for link to picture of Cub, Thanks
Thanks
George
Happy Flying
Old 10-16-2002, 10:14 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default Cub help wanted

Most local hobby stores that deal with RC cars will carry sheets of lexan/polycarbonate. It's used to fix them car bodies, and also to make windsheinds for planes! You can get stiff stuff, as well as stuff that's fairly flexible. I go tsome recently for exactly the same thing, but it was a 1/4 scale cub..

Make a paper cut-out first, before commiting to the lexan. Start off with a triangle with a pretty generously curved bottom edge. cut 'arm holes' in the sides to fit around the wing leading edge protrtusions. It'll be a bit of trial and error, but patients will pay off.

The other thing to do is contact a kit manufacturer. They're all pretty close, that is, they all copied the same plane, with about the same dimensions... Pretty much all of them will sell you the extra bits. Fiberglass specialities will sell you a fiberglass cowl...
Old 10-17-2002, 12:06 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Cub help wanted

For windshields and side windos, my fitrst source is 2 or 3 liter soda bottles. I've found that for most sport aircraft and plance similar to the Cub you can get a nice looking windshiled just by picking where on the bottle to cut. (That about a 80 inch span? if so.. 3 liter will do it.)

The soda bottle PET plastic is nearly indestructable when used as a windshield or cowl... Depends on how accurate to scale you want to be, but I'd bet you could cut the top 1/3 of a bottle into a cowl for the cub and hav it look good for stand-off scale.

Manufacturer of the Cub isn't really necessary... you just need to find the corect scale, find any manufacturer with the same scale kit and thier cowl and windshiled should fit.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:57 PM
george-rca

Default Cub help wanted

THANKS, That sure helps.
Winter is nearly here in Northern Ind, I have all winter to finish.
Happy Flying