Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

coving a built up wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

coving a built up wing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 PM
acerpal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coving a built up wing

I have been that when applying Balsa sheets to the bottom of the. wing paint the ribs and any place of contact on the wing and balsa. witl Tight Bond glueThen let them dry. The next day you start to iron the balsa to the wing with an iron. The heat will activate the tight bond an it will adhere the balsato any point of contact between the sheeting and frame. This way you can be the sheeting is glue to the greatist area. Is a god idea.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: coving a built up wing

It's a good idea with some problems. But everything takes technique. Learn the things to do and the things not to do and most processes will work for you.

If the wing sheeting is thick and/or your iron isn't very hot, you can have a really unpleasant time. Also, the glue will generally do a good sticking job once. It won't do very good if you try to pull and redo it after a botched job. So don't botch it the first time.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 AM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

da rock, I'm impressed that you understood that. I have read the post three times and still don't get it.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: acerpal

I have been that when applying Balsa sheets to the bottom of the. wing paint the ribs and any place of contact on the wing and balsa. witl Tight Bond glueThen let them dry. The next day you start to iron the balsa to the wing with an iron. The heat will activate the tight bond an it will adhere the balsato any point of contact between the sheeting and frame. This way you can be the sheeting is glue to the greatist area. Is a god idea.
HUH!!!!! did I miss something?????????????
Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DaRock is correct, most aliphatic glues work this way. Put on a thin coat, let dry, mate the two surfaces and add heat. Hold in place until cool. A very good joint. This also often works well on loose covering, coat the area to be rejoined, let dry then iron down the loose covering.