Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Canisters and Tuned Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canisters and Tuned Pipes

There are lots of posts that mention canisters and tuned pipes for our gas engines. Is there any place that tells the pros and cons of them or can someone spell it out for me. I'm running a DL50 in a 3D type plane.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Canisters and Tuned Pipes

ORIGINAL: chuck l

There are lots of posts that mention canisters and tuned pipes for our gas engines. Is there any place that tells the pros and cons of them or can someone spell it out for me. I'm running a DL50 in a 3D type plane.
There isn't enough room here to explain it all, I'm no expert and so and I won't try to do that either....

There are a few generalizations;

Canisters are quieter and will generally improve performance a bit if your in cowl muffler setup is more restrictive as most of those are.

Pipes are also quieter and can increase power significantly, but there's no free lunch. Too much power increase and the power band becomes so narrow the model can be difficult to fly as it comes "on and off" the pipe. Changes can be made to improve that, but then you get less power increase. Those changes include modifying the header length, pipe design, prop size and what suits your flying style. The difficulty comes from the fact that an engine/header/pipe/prop combo that works well on one model, or for one flyer, probably won't work as well on another model or for another flyer.

Then there is always an argument about what brand/style works best in either cans or pipes.

Both systems require more room in the model, are heavier, and cans cost a bit more than in cowl mufflers while pipes can be quite spendy.

Do a few searches and I'm sure you come up with LOTS of reading material....