Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with RICCS Mirage 2000......

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help with RICCS Mirage 2000......

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
kens999
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with RICCS Mirage 2000......

Hello,

This Mirage is my first RC plane and I am truley a novice to this. After assembling this RTF model I have a queston about the controlled surfaces. On the transmitter using the Right side control stick....moving the stick north or south controls left wing aileron up and down. Moving same stick east and west moves right wing aileron up and down. The only way to move BOTH ailerons together in tandem is to move the control stick on a diagonal. Is this normal? In this configuration it seems that climbing and decending will be a very difficult task. If this is incorrect then can you please help me correct this problem.

Thank you,
Ken
Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Help with RICCS Mirage 2000......

Hi Ken -

Welcome to RC flying!

I can't help you with setting up the elevons on your Mirage, but let me be the first to warn you. That plane is a very poor choice for a beginner.

If you are a complete novice to RC flying, your first flight with the Mirage will last maybe 5-10 seconds before you have a heartbreaking crash. Please put the Mirage away until you have mastered a trainer and at least one other intermediate airplane. Then you might be ready for an advanced and fast plane like the Mirage.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to fly a cool plane like the Mirage as your first plane, but it's close to it. A very un-cool high wing trainer is the best way to start.

In [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666829]this review[/link] of your Mirage, the writer says:

Is this airplane for a beginner?
No, I would never recommend this for a new pilot. Although it is very neutral and forgiving, the Mirage is simply too fast and responsive for someone new to the hobby. However, I wholeheartedly recommend it for someone who is looking for their first aileron or ducted fan powered ship.
Just my 2-cents worth!

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Leo L

Hi Ken,

Welcome to R/C flying. The controls on your plane are definitely not correct. Moving the right stick forward should move BOTH control surfaces down and pulling back on the stick should move both control surfaces up. Moving the stick to the right should cause the right control surface to go up and the left one to go down. Moving the stick to the left should reverse the movement of the two surfaces. Its possible that the servos are plugged into the wrong ports on the receiver. If you get the control surfaces to move at the correct time, but in the wrong direction, change the position of the appropriate reversing switch, which should be located near the bottom of the transmitter.

Jeff is absolutely right when he suggests that you set the Mirage aside and start with a good beginner plane. The first plane that I bought was a very cool looking 4-channel Cessna. When I received it, I realized that it was way too much plane for a beginner, so I set it aside and spent a year learning to fly with beginner planes before I tried flying it. Even then it was a handfull. Your Mirage is much more difficult to fly than my Cessna was. Even if you had an experienced trainer working with you, the Mirage would be a very poor choice; but from your post I gather that you are on your own. Set the Mirage aside and get a good beginner plane like the SuperCub. You won't regret your decission.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
kens999
My Feedback: (2)

Thank you Leo. Yes, I agree, this plane will not be flown until afer I am proficient on a Sim and a trainer. I was led to believe, from the advertising, that it was suitable for a beginner, so yes, I may very well be in over my head with this jet,being a novice. However, I own the plane now and will need to get my elevon issue worked out. My receiver is 5 channel. Throttle and Rudder control seem to work fine. A little internet research revealed that Elevon control seems to require some form of signal mixer, that Im not sure I have or know how to activate. The radio is a Dynam NE-KO 4 that appears to be a bare bones 4 ch. radio. I will attempt to experiment with moving around the elevon servo connections though. Thank you again, and If anyone has experienced this same issue, please let me know what fixed it for you -Ken.