Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GP 330L wing shear webs

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 02:31 AM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP 330L wing shear webs

I have built a couple GP kits. The others have shear webs between each rib with the grain running vertical. The 330L I'm starting has solid webs with the grain running horizontal. I don't understand what a horizontal web does for the strength of the wing or is there something coming up I've not read?----- Oh yea the cardboard wing tubes(whats up with that) are not going in,phenolic coming from tnt.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:20 AM
BrianMorris

Um...,you have to sand the holes out just a little.

I used a dremel tool.
Mine fits perfect.If they arrived with the holes too big,then you would have a problem.You have to sand each rib anyway to remove any bumps or rough edges.
After reading everything in this website about this kit, I have mixed feelings.I beefed up the wings a little to give a little more strength.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:39 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I've built both the 60 size and 1/3 scale GP Extras. You are right, the "normal" shear web orientation is with vertical grain. That provides the maximum stiffness. But when you have a wing tube, the shear forces are carried directly by the tube. In fact, at the wing root (where the bending is maximum), there is no stress on the wood structure. It is carried 100% by the tube.

I pretty much followed the plans although I substituted some lighter sheeting. I though much of the provided wood was too hard. I'm using the paper tubes but phenolic would be a nice upgrade.

I also added some sheeting to the fuselage below the wing openings. That was mainly to keep them from breaking the sides when I pick it up!

I've been interested in increasing the span a couple inches by NOT pushing the wings all the way into the fuselage openings. What do you think of that? It seems like a way to get 50 sq-in of "free" wing area.

Tom
Old 05-28-2003, 02:12 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Default well ?

ronk1

did you ever get the plane from hawk21

let me know

dennis
Old 05-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Tim_Indy

Originally posted by greenboot
I also added some sheeting to the fuselage below the wing openings. That was mainly to keep them from breaking the sides when I pick it up!
I always pick mine up lifting at that big landing gear plate on the bottom. Can't break that.
I've been interested in increasing the span a couple inches by NOT pushing the wings all the way into the fuselage openings. What do you think of that? It seems like a way to get 50 sq-in of "free" wing area.
One inch spacer blocks accomplishes this easily with zero negatives, it does work.

I, too, used the paper tubes and after well over 300 flights, there is a bit of play. Phenolic tubes would have prevented that.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:06 PM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

Bodymann, Yes it came yesterday to my delight. Hope your shipment comes soon. He must not like email
Old 05-28-2003, 04:12 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

LOL glad to hear it.

i never bought anything from him. just checking up cause of the P.M you sent me

dennis