Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Saito 125 or YS 110

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Saito 125 or YS 110

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:59 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 125 or YS 110

Looking at some four strokes for a 3d plane and was wondering if the saito 125 or the ys 110 would have more power they weigh almost the same ys being ever so slightly heavier and the they are the same price since horizon went ape**** with their prices. Also I would be running 15% fuel.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 AM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: Saito 125 or YS 110

If you want to run 15% fuel then the Saito will be your choice.

The YS engines recommend 20% and really perform best with at least that much nitro.

The YS110 has more power than the Saito but the Saito is no slouch and over time, will be a far more consistent engine, requiring less maintenance and fiddling.

The reality is that they're both excellent engines and both have their proponents sometimes it's a religious thing.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The YS is a lovely engine, with the pressurised system the throttle response is so crisp but with that it comes at a higher operating cost. It loves high nitro and 15% nitro will not be a good choice, you will find that the idle sucks and there is not real top end. I find that it performs really nice on 25% Cool Power for helis.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: tIANci

The YS is a lovely engine, with the pressurised system the throttle response is so crisp but with that it comes at a higher operating cost.
For under $50 you can add an Iron-Bay regulator to your Saito and get the benefits of a fully presurized fuel system without the need for the regular YS maintenance and hi-nitro demand.

Just something few people actually consider.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 AM
chuck993

I have a YS 110, I run it on cool power 20% pattern fuel, it runs excellent, no issues at all, starts immediately, I have also run the engine on 15% and it ran fine too, so you can run it on 15% despite what was said above. The more nitro the more rpm for EITHER engine.

I have had more reliability with the YS vs. Saito, I had a brand new Saito 100 that kept losing mufflers and breaking the crankcase and Horizon would not fix it after it happened twice, the POS Saito is in a bag and the YS 110 flies every weekend on my Edge... I have had no issue with the YS.

This is more of a Chevy vs. Ford debate, always is.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: chuck993
You're dead right there!

My Saitos have been nothing but perfect in terms of reliability and performance.

There is a bit of "learning" to be done with any brand of engine.

For example, tightening the muffler/manifold on a Saito engine involves more than just leaning on a wrench. If you don't understand the correct technique then the muffler *will* keep coming lose and you'll either lose it or flog out the threads in the head.

However, YS engines aren't without their own "special needs and techniques" so it's down to users to make sure they get the right info and learn how to set up and use their engines properly.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

The YS will make considerably more HP. Especially the higher elevation you get. The YS has a "superchager" which cannot be duplicated on the Saito. It will allow less of a HP drop the higher you go. The Saito will by much easier to tune. More or less just set it and forget it. The YS....when they work they work great but you can get a lot of dead sticks if you don't get the regulator set properly. The factory says don't touch the regulator because it is factory set. With my 5 YS 110 I had to set the regulator on 4 of them to get them to not deadstick. After I got the hang of it they are stone reliable and very powerful and I love them. On average I'd say the mighty YS will turn about 400 RPM more than the Saito. Obviously the YS will work better on higher nitro. I use 30% Heli on mine and never looked back. It helps tremendeously on the Idle and transition. The Saito will run better on the lower nitro than the YS but it benefits from 30% also.

My YS experience has caused me to coin the phrase .....Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... YS....ya love 'em till you don't.

Thanks
Barrry
Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
samtech

Well... Ford or Chevy... I like the Saito's but the YS is a great engine too... YS has more power but Saito's seem to last forever. Saitos will run great on 15% but they both like 30% and will chug it all day... The one thing that has me sold on the Saitos is that I like to hand start...Or should I say chicken start... The YS's have really high compression and are slightly more likey to back fire and throw the prop off. Don't get me wrong, they'll both do it but the YS is worse. If you're after nothing but power... Get a YS.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

I was looking for an engine to power a seagull edge 540 68" wingspan for some intermediate 3D.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 PM
lou1947

I have that plane and have used a Saito 100 and a 125. The 100 flies it well but its a rocket with the 125. I have 8 saitos and none of them have ever failed me.If you take your time and tuned them correctly you will get years of enjoyment. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 AM
chuck993

throw in another engine, say an O.S. 120 AX and you will now get the Ford vs Chevy vs Doge...I have an O.S. 120 AX, it runs great, lots of power, starts right away, but it needs an electric starter, even O.S. tells you to use a starter in the manual. The YS can be trickier, but when in doubt send it in for service and it comes back like new, just put it back on the plane and fire it off, they tweak it and run it before sending it back to you so it is set up. I had a Saito 125 that was great also, the older Saitos seem to be less problematic then the new ones from talking to guys at the field. Saito is light and powerful, O.S. tend to be a little heavier but they are very durable, just keep ticking, Y.S is excellent also, can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

I agree with all the posts above. I have owned 3 110s and have 2 saitos 125 now. If you dont want to run the higher nitro content fuels and want less findle go with the saito, but again now with the higher saito prices thru Horizon you can buy the 110 cheaper or about the same price thru central Hobbies. The only real maintenance you have to do on the Ys 110s is clean the regulator assembly about 1 time a year with alcohol and replace the diaphram once a year or two depending on how much you fly. The sound of a ys with the straight pipe , no muffler is awesome and Central hobbies has those to for 19 bucks now. Its a toss up really i love both motors and both would fly your plane well. The ys motors run the best on 20 or 30 % heli fuel i use the Wildcat heli Curtis Youngblood blend which is 30% nitro but now its price is up to $ 23 dollars a gallon at the local hobby shop. But also the Saitos love the high nitro content and it really improves the idle and top end .
Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: XJet

For example, tightening the muffler/manifold on a Saito engine involves more than just leaning on a wrench. If you don't understand the correct technique then the muffler *will* keep coming lose and you'll either lose it or flog out the threads in the head.

However, YS engines aren't without their own "special needs and techniques" so it's down to users to make sure they get the right info and learn how to set up and use their engines properly.

Xjet, care to give any tips on the muffler technique? Or perhaps a link to another thread about this? Thinking strongly of getting an .82 Saito for my Reactor this spring, and I've noticed a lot of the used Saito engines on here and Ebay have muffler pipes/mufflers that are quite scarred up from "leaning" on them, LOL. Would like to avoid that myself...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
TimChurch
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: chuck993

I have a YS 110, I run it on cool power 20% pattern fuel, it runs excellent, no issues at all, starts immediately, I have also run the engine on 15% and it ran fine too, so you can run it on 15% despite what was said above. The more nitro the more rpm for EITHER engine.

I have had more reliability with the YS vs. Saito, I had a brand new Saito 100 that kept losing mufflers and breaking the crankcase and Horizon would not fix it after it happened twice, the POS Saito is in a bag and the YS 110 flies every weekend on my Edge... I have had no issue with the YS.

Send me a PM I'll take that bag of Saito from ya
Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM
TimChurch

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

ORIGINAL: XJet

Xjet, care to give any tips on the muffler technique? Or perhaps a link to another thread about this? Thinking strongly of getting an .82 Saito for my Reactor this spring, and I've noticed a lot of the used Saito engines on here and Ebay have muffler pipes/mufflers that are quite scarred up from "leaning" on them, LOL. Would like to avoid that myself...
Tighten while warm I have both also..Same thing happens to my YS and stops when tightened while warm
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Anyone else mess with the iron-bay regulator? Is it really that good?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 AM
TimChurch

They work very good as does the kline, but you shouldn't need them with a Saito. Unless you running long fuel lines the Saito draws fuel without a problem. Perry pumps are also a option when there are fuel delivery problems.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:32 PM
bigbuster
My Feedback: (12)

I have been in the hobby for 20yrs and flew all types of engines until 3 yrs ago when I switched over to YS. I had purchased the engine 8or so years before but never tried it. I always thought that the 4cycle would be less power. I met 2 guys that only flew 4 cycle engines and mainly Saito's. I put the YS 120 sc on my new funtana 90 and wow that thing was a beast and the only dead stick I had was when I ran out of fuel. That engine has been in the plane for most of three years and I have never touched the needles. I fly 20%. I now own 8 ys engines and they all run like champs and I can hand start them as well. I have never thrown a prop or had my hand bitten. I pretty much fly YS exclusively except Gassers.

My experience has been that you can get some great info off these sights but you also have several people that have problems with every engine they touch. Either engine will serve you well but the YS is a beast and if you take the time to set it up in the beginning it will be without problem for years.

I definitely love the YS engines.

Just my .02 cents
Jeff
Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM
TimChurch

Good post, I have both YS and Saito, Both have served me well. I think the Saitos are a little eaiser to tune , but once tuned they both run well.

The advantage Saito has is wieght and many diffrent sizes. The jump from a 13X6 on a YS 63 to a 16 x 6 on a 110 is huge gap.
Saito has the 82 and the 100 between those two that will turn a 14 x6 and 15 x 6
Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

I have 6 YS engines and I have had 2 or three others. I have had 3 Saitos. I love the YS engines. I have had only had one issue with a YS. I had a 110 that wasn't right from the beginning. I sent it to Nevada and they fixed it under warranty. I haven't flown or un an engine in almost 3 years until today. I got out a plane with a YS 63S and started it, let it run rich for a couple of minutes then flew the plane. No problems, no trouble. Awesome engines. The Saitos ran fine as well, but I have a couple of planes with inverted engines and that got me into the YS engines as they seem to be more reliable at idle on an inverted setup. If they're the same price, I'd buy a YS.
Don