Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

nitro vs electric I don't get it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Justintoxicated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro vs electric I don't get it!

ok i was about to buy a savage because new batteries and charger etc was going to cost as much as a nitro car.

So i decided to get the savage.

Then i realized the savage needs more chargers than an electric car!

1 for the glowplug and 1 for the hump pack, so im buying even more chargers and batteries than i would have for my electric this is insaine!

the topic should be ELECTRIC Vs. nitro&electic!

Someone please explain to me why I cannot use my battery charger to charge a 5 cell hump pack! I can lower the amps, but im told it still won't work why not?!??! Why can I charge 8 cell batteries fine if I just charge them multiple times on it?!?!
Old 05-28-2003, 11:24 PM
1stPlaceRace

I use my orion charger for my reciever packs set to one amp. As long as you can charge at 1 amp instead of the 3-5 you use on your normal stick packs everything will be fine.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:31 PM
joelacrane

Heck, just use Alkaline batteries!
Old 05-29-2003, 01:02 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yeah,Alkalines...they last longer than a rechargeable of the same size and if the C cell in the glow starter dies you can go to the store across the street and get one instead of goin home and waiting for a charge.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:38 AM
1stPlaceRace

Alkalines have the disadvantage of 4 cells, or 4.8 volts. 5 cell receiver packs are 6 volts. This has a direct effect on the power of your servos. A servo that is 48 oz of torque with 4 cells is over 60 oz of torque with 5 cells. Speed is also slightly higher with 5 cells.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:50 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by 1stPlaceRace
Alkalines have the disadvantage of 4 cells, or 4.8 volts. 5 cell receiver packs are 6 volts. This has a direct effect on the power of your servos. A servo that is 48 oz of torque with 4 cells is over 60 oz of torque with 5 cells. Speed is also slightly higher with 5 cells.
Alkalines are 1.5 volts each (NiCD and NiMH are 1.2 V per cell). A 4 alkalines in a battery holder is the same 6 volts as a 5 NiCD or NiMH pack.

What type of charger do you have? If it is a timed charger, you should consider getting a basic peak charger.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:15 AM
GALAXY

yeah,when I do that math I got 6V too.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:03 AM
1stPlaceRace

I guess I never thought of it like that, I dont use anything but rechargables, My 5 cell 1100 mah receiver pack reads 7.1 volts right now on the multimeter and it is fully charged so maybe the newer NIMH cells are close to alkalines in voltage. all I know is Im only out $21 for the OFNA receiver pack and it works awesome. I use a team orion bc 48 ac dc charger. Sorry to make you guys do math Stan www.1stplacerace.com
Old 05-29-2003, 03:41 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

or just make your own 5 cell AA holder.for $1.00 at radio shack. just get the 5th cell holder and wire it into the standard 4 cell box and you got yourself a 6v pack. just put electrical tape around it to ensure batteries stay in.
i have a bunch of 1800 nimhs, so this works great for my batteries.

if you have a regular battery charger for the 7.2v, like he said if its 1amp, you can buy an adaptor for it.

sorry pics are blurry, but i just got back from shootin darts, and i had a few beers so my hands arent very steady right now.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:29 AM
Justintoxicated

what I have is a timed charger, with adjustable current (amps)

So I can just buy a 5 cell pack and use the charger I have? I hear it will destroy the batteries but it didn't make sense to me.

Someone please explain.

im also going to make my own from ratshack for when im camping, but id like to get a rechargable for other times.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Chase023

I built my own receiver pack as well. I was going to buy a 1100 mah receiver pack but then might as well build my own with 2000mah NiMH AAs. I used shrink wrap and electrical tape to cover it. I used that single battery holder from radio shack with a 4 cell holder to build a 5 cell pack. It might be a little larger but I will get more capacity out of it.

Well from the looks of it I wouldn't charge my receiver batteries on your charger. I wouldn't recommend a charger with a timer.
Also you need to know if the charger can charge smaller cells. I would not charge small cells at higher amps.
New cells need to be charged at C/10 for the first few charges to optimize on capacity. C/10=capacity divided by 10. After the initial charges then you could charge it at higher rates but for these small batteries I would just charge it at lower rates than C.
Also when you look at the wire gauge of the receiver packs they are small like 18 gauge and smaller so charging them at higher amps could heat them up and cause some damage.

For example I would charge mine at 0.2 amps for first 3-5 times I charge it. After those initial charges maybe charge it at like 0.2 to maybe 1amp, but I don't think I need to charge it faster for a receiver pack. If you need more advice I would go to the battery/charger forums on these forums.

Old 05-29-2003, 11:58 AM
spadworld

Since no one wants to address your charger issue, I will. I have one charger that charges everything that I have. TX RX and Glow starter. It's the Hanger 9 Double Vision. It's a fairly inexpensive charger as well. Also you can buy a Glow starter with charger also. The charger it comes with will slow charge the battery also allowing it to last longer. Also TX/RX wall chargers are really cheap too. Just pick one up at tower or any other seller.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Unstable

Default Re: nitro vs electric I don't get it!

Originally posted by Justintoxicated
ok i was about to buy a savage because new batteries and charger etc was going to cost as much as a nitro car.

So i decided to get the savage.

Then i realized the savage needs more chargers than an electric car!
I realized this when I started in planes.

charger for the TX. and RX. charger for the glow starter. charger for the field box batt. ***.. I though I was flying gas here.

with cars I had alkalines in the TX and one batt to charge... now with multiple planes and several RC cars I cant keep track of all the batteries lying around.

I cant walk in my room for fear of tripping on a airplane or one of the many wires running to it to charge it.

this hobby makes you insane :bananahea
Old 05-29-2003, 02:50 PM
joelacrane

Yes it does...
Old 05-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Justintoxicated

my whole point was to avoid buying another charger.

i already have 1 more than i had for my electric cars.

So Nitro's need even more battery chargers than electronic cars they should call them electric-nitros.

Anyways I don't want to buy another charger. 2 is enough. I thought that because i could lower the current to the batteries that I could use the charger i have. If I were to just leave the battery plugged without the charger in it would trickle charge the battery (.1 amp I beleive) but since you say it can't work I guess ill just have to use disposables and the 4 cell battery pack with my new savage.

If I buy a high torque servo would this have the same effect as a hump pack as far as steering is concerned?

so far im disapointed in nitro, since my whole reason to switch was to avoid batteries at least as much as possible, and now I have even more batteries than before!!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:52 PM
spadworld

get into 1/4 scale and rig up an alternator and a dry cell. To charger your tx just fire up the car and plug it into the TX!
Ok ok I'm just kiddin. Just goto wally world and pick up a cheap aa aaa charger that slow charges batteries. order some of the BULK batteries from a discount battery store online and goto town charging them up! Works for me! when I don't want to use my field charger!

Old 05-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Unstable

the problem with charging RX packs on a charger like that is that most RX packs now for cars are NiMH.. unless your charger can do NiMH dont try it as it can possibly fry the packs.

if you get a NiCd pack then you can charge them on yours... but just dont go over 2c (2 times the capacity of the pack*) when charging

*if its a 1000mah pack 2c is 2 amps
Old 05-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Justintoxicated

what about just buying a high torque servo instead of increasing power to the stock one? it owuld be cheaper AND i don't have to have a charger then...What do you think?
Old 05-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Realistically. Although I don't get the chance to fly as much as I would like. I find charging batteries for nitro to be rather simple. I have 2 glow starters which I put on the charger once a month. Maybe less. The dry cell battery in my field box runs an electric fuel pump and an electric starter and I can make it a whole summer on 2 charges. My TX batteries last a month and my Rx i charge before going to the field. So with the exception of the Rx battery, I do very little charging.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Justintoxicated

but what about , my last question

a Hum pack and charger is about $50 and a hgih torque servo is only like 22

if i ust switch it to a high torque servo would that benefit me the same as running extra juice to the stock one?
Old 05-30-2003, 01:24 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

you have to check the torque ratings on the servo.
it has two different torque ratings for two different voltages.

about the charger and having a lot of them.

i have
AA charger
12v for starter box
?v for glow ignitor
hobbico for the 7.2 packs and 6v hump packs.

sure its alot, but the glow ignitor comes with one. the starter box charger was $10. The hobbico charger was $30, but you said you have one from running electric.The AA charger......well how many AA's you using in your house now?

i use AA in remotes, toys, battery eating digicamera, much more.

get yourself a AA charger forget the $25 hump pack, and make your own 6v packs. no one said it was cheap
before you knwo it you will go from worring about a $30 charger, to a $200+ engine.

hey chase
when you put that 5th cell on, how did you connect the wires from the old 4 cell holder and the new 5th cell holder?
I soldiered mine and then put the soldiered wires into those blue things in my picture.
they are gel filled indoor/outdoor telephone wire connectors. i use em at work, so i figure the added protection from water and stuff would help.
with those "B" connectors, you put the wires in and crimp down so im sure its a very solid connection.

how did you do it?
Old 05-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Chase023

Well how I did it was, I took a 4 cell battery holder and where the wires lead out to the rx plug, I cut the positive wire in the middle.
Now I have a 4 cell holder with the negative connecting to the RX plug and the positive end split into two wires that have open ends.

From the positive wire that leads out from the plastic battery cell holder (4 cell holder) I stripped it and soldered it to the negative wire end of the single battery holder. Then I took the positive end of the single battery holder and soldered that end to the positive end of the wire that was coming from the plug. I shrink wrapped all naked wires.

I wanted to protect the pack from dirt and elements so I covered it all up with some blue electrical tape and shrink wrap. I thought this would be safe to do because all those aftermarket RX packs are all covered in shrink wrap.

I hope you can understand the explanation. It would be of course easier just to show it to you hehe..

4 cell holder with airtronics RX plug (Tower Hobbies)
1 cell holder with positive and negative wire that lead out from the holder. (Radio Shack.)

I used 5 2000mah AA NiMH Batteries. Much longer capacity than most RX packs sold. I think they range from like 600mah to 1100mah that I seen.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Justintoxicated

thanks for everyones input, I think ill try it out stock first, i get my savage tomarow WOOHOO!

I knwo how 1 servo can be, i remember using 1 servo on my MRC thunderking and it turned VERY poorly, but with 2 servos it turned like a champ, even on the same batterypack.

Ill look into making my own pack, but i will still need a charger