Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Decals with Crikit machine.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Decals with Crikit machine.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 PM
shleprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decals with Crikit machine.

I don't know if many know about this machine, but it works great for vinyl decals. I used my wifes to make my AMA #s to put on the side of my plane. Also made some 2 " squares to make a checkered pattern. You can get cartriges for letters, shapes, and many other items. Just use peel and stick vinyl in the machine.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Decals with Crikit machine.

What is a Crikit machine??? I've never heard of one.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a stencil cutter used for scrap booking. My wife has one, however I have not yet used it for my planes, but with this thread I will be doing some exploring with it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They had an advertisment on televison here for the Kricut machine. I was sort of hoping it could be computer fed, but no. It has a stand alone computer within it. Then can only make what they have loaded into the thing at the factory best I can see.

Wm.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
DavidAgar

The one that my wife has does hook into the computer and you can design stuff with it. Kinda cool I think, Dave
Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 AM
w5kfg

Dave
Could get the information on the machine your wife uses? I would like to get one that you can use with a computer
Regards
Bill B
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
mikegordon10

I have used a Crikit to cut numbers from ultracoat, works like a champ.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM
crossman

I have cut numbers from trimsheet with my wife's cricut also. They is supposed to be software available to design stuff as well. I have not tried Ultracoat in it yet. Too bad it won't cut balsa.

Here is some info on it, They sell them at Micheal's and JoAnn fabrics.

http://www.cricut.com/Default.aspx?A...ookieSupport=1

Chuck
Old 11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
DavidAgar

Now that I have checked, hers is a Silhouette made by Quick Kutz. You can design anything on the computer and make a stencil from the design. I have not tryed covering materials, but it does a good job on stencils. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time I saw that infomercial I of course thought about how I might apply its use to modeling.

Lettering and registration numbers would be a piece of cake with this machine. 3 color roundels would require three steps and layering three layers of material. I don't much like the thought of that. Heavy you know? Extra weight and a more complicated assembly and if you don't get the colors centered just right you might not have a second chance. On the other hand the Windex method could help get positioning subsequent layers.

The biggest thing that I thought of was material cost. I bet the extra blades are specific and more costly than other really sharp blades one can use. Keeping a sharp blade is important no matter what tool you use.

Certain really cool graphics might not be feasable for reason of size. Like a large checkerboard pattern or a cool flame job. Once again more than one color and layering and...

Sure it can be used but where you want to keep things really light like small planes or large planes where weight poses not much threat, you would be faced with a patchwork quilt job.

I just think it is not for me but it is a cool machine.

Robert

Old 11-09-2008, 02:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife has one - thanks to me Now to try and get to use it......darn teachers............they hog everything
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

I have access to one, but from all the reading online and on the box, you can hook it up to a PC, but BUT you have to have the font cartages installed to use them. So I cant just pull up a font I have installed on my PC and cut it out, or draw a design up and cut it to. If you search, there are a lot of people trying to hack the system so they can do this.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
shleprock

There are two Cricut machines. The more expensive model is the only one that can be linked to a PC. You do have to have correct cartridge(s) for it to work. I only use it for numbers and small "decorations"!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
CoosBayLumber

Prock...

The one they were pushing on television was this one: http://www.4cricut.com/ and it cannot be connected up to any computer. Think you have to be satisfied with their selection or lump it.

Wm.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

Based on David's "recommendation" above, I decide to purchase a Silhouette unit too. Seems to work well with Monokote Trim sheets, but you still need to use the include "carrier" to keep the blade from getting hung up. I was actually surprised that the 1/4 letters came out at good as they did, especially since I used a piece of "scotch" tape as my transfer medium. The unit can be found for about $150 on a popular auction site.