Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Which masking Tape? Gray primer or white Primer?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Which masking Tape? Gray primer or white Primer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:23 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which masking Tape? Gray primer or white Primer?

You know, I've been using regular masking tape forever when masking off for oil base enamels. Is there anything better you think I ought to use, or will this suffice?

Also, I'm planning on using two finish oil base colors; Red Rustoleum and White Rustoleum. The entire plane has been primed in Rustoleum Gray Auto Primer (using their shelf spray cans). I will use a spray gun to shoot the entire plane first in gloss white, and then go over the white with the desired red patterns last. I was debating if I should now apply white primer over the gray primer. But I was concerned that it would be harder to see how the white paint is covering over the white primer. Seems to me too, that the gray primer might actually produce a richer hue under the white. What da ya think? Should I just leave the gray the way it is and start painten and do less talkin?
Old 05-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Leave the gray primer. It will be fine.

3M Fine Line Masking Tape is the best. It can be found at auto stores that sell automotive paint.

Less talking. More painting.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:57 AM
KJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grey is good

I agree with 'aptar'. It is nice to know when I get a consistant coat of paint over an applied primer. The slight contrast in colors between the primer and main color helps. I used a light grey primer on an acetone cleaned fiberglass sailplane fuselage and after 4 days to let the primer dry completely I painted the fusellage gloss bright white. Looked absolutely great.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:29 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And I will ditto the 3M Fine Line tape!
Old 05-30-2003, 02:15 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I'm on the topic of masking: How do you guys accomplish a glossy finish coat without ugly, globbed paint over runs at the tape edge?

I have applied flat war bird style paint very successfully in multiple light coats. Spraying light coats of flat paint produce a drier and misty coat.(which results in the matt finish desired anyway)

But to accomplish a glossy finish on a sport plane, I have sprayed gloss paint very wet so it dries shiny. However, I would peel the masking tape off to discover sloppy overuns at the tape edge. (No real surprise I guess). Can I accomplish a shiny glossy finish by spraying the gloss paint in the same style light misty spray as I have with the flat paints. I am under the impression shiny finishes require a wet spray. (-which then result in the sloppy over runs)