Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
hse32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

on the speed control there is 3 wire white red black
the red and black is power
the white is ?

I have a receiver
that must have the power to go plug in the battery slot

how can I use the receiver with a speed control

and have it plug in a channel

can i have the white wire plug in the channel and the black and red wire to
the battery slot on the receiver

Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Radio

....i think what your asking is how to use a seperate battery pack with you rc vehicle that has a ESC powering the reciever.

i'm not completly sure but i think you cut the red (power) wire and then the esc doesn't get power to the reciever so you can then use a seperate battery. i wouldn't suggest doing this unless you are drag racing or going for speed. there is really no use for all that extra wieght on the car.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Barber420

It seems you're trying to say you have a receiver that does not have BEC(Battery Elimination Circuitry?, I think), which means you need to run a seperate battery pack to power your receiver. You can either, A - Buy a rechargeable 4-5 cell pack to power your receiver(AA not sub C batts), or B - Buy a AA battery holder which holds four regular AA batts and plugs into your receiver. Then you plug your ESC into the receiver, but leave ALL 3 wires INTACT on the ESC.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
hse32

can I have the white wire go to my channel 2

and have the black and red wire go to battery slot in the receiver
Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Barber420

I don't know about that. I personally wouldn't try, but hey, it's your RC.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
hse32

do any one now how to use the receiver and the esc

with out a another battery
Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Druss

you don't need to put the red and black to the battery slot, that battery slot is specifically meant for nitros.

If you've got an electric car/truck then the electronic speed controller (esc) will power the receiver, just plug the esc into the throttle channel on the receiver, it will both power it and get the signal to the esc from that channel.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
dacaur

Ignore the first 3 responses. They are either dead wrong or not understanding what you are asking..

Druss's post (post 7) is the first one with any good info... +1 on everything it says.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Barber420

ORIGINAL: Druss

you don't need to put the red and black to the battery slot, that battery slot is specifically meant for nitros.

If you've got an electric car/truck then the electronic speed controller (esc) will power the receiver, just plug the esc into the throttle channel on the receiver, it will both power it and get the signal to the esc from that channel.
Not all receivers have BEC nowadays still!!! I have a Futaba 3PM synthesized that gives up the BEC for the synthesization circuitry!!![X(] Who knows what kind of Rx he has, if his doesn't have BEC then he can't very well run it without extra Rx batteries!!! You can't tell what the heck he's using by his post.[&:]
Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Druss

just to clear some things up...

as far as i know, NO receivers have a bec now a days.... they take up to 6v power input which means that the electronic speed controller (esc) must supply that power and also therefore the bec is integrated into the esc.

so while you're right that some really (i mean really) old receivers used to have the bec function, most now do not. and if he's using an esc instead of a mechanical speed controller then it will have the bec built into it so it should be outputting the correct voltage.

to back that up, my old mechanical speed controller does not use the standard 3 wire servo connection for power to the receiver, it uses a jst power connector because it has no use for a signal wire (it's mechanical and not electric). so based on the fact that he has a 3 wires coming from the speed controller I'm going to assume it's electronic.

it's also true that he can use a separate battery to power the electronics even though he has a built in bec by cutting the red wire, i don't believe that's what he was asking though.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
hse32

I have the Traxxas Rustler XL elect.
I have a ssynthesized receiver that i cant plug the Speed control in the ch 2 on the receiver
because i will not power my receiver
Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

Hse have you tried it in ch2 and not worked? I don't know of any new receiver that doesn't allow power from any servo slot. If for some reason it doesn't allow it you will need a separate bec or run another battery for the reciever.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Barber420

hse32 - This is what I was talking about in post 9!!! I had the same issue when I got my Futaba 3PM-FS, it came with a Futaba R303FHS Rx. You sacrifice having BEC for your synthesization circuitry in the Rx. I personally wouldn't cut the wire and try to rig it up the way you were talking about(form your ESC), but you could try it. I just got a battery holder, put four 2650mah Duracell rechargeable NiMh's in it and zip tied it in. Everything works great, batteries last a LONG time, and the extra little bit of weight seemed to have no effect on cornering, jumping, or speed/acceleration. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
dacaur

Im calling BS on this one. Impossible.
I cannot even begin to imagine how that would work, and the reason behind it.... On any reciver I have ever seen, the battery + and - pins are all connected, so if you plug power into ANY slot, all slots will have power... in order for the futaba RX to NOT act this way, futaba would have needed to properly add a diode to each pin to prevent power comming in from pins other than the battery slot, and would need to have a much more complex power bus so that power could get from the battery pins to the rest, without any of them being connected, which would raise their cost with absolutely no benefit to anyone. In fact it would be a detriment to MANY, and would basically be a really stupid move on futabas part... Can you imagine the meeting that dreamt that up? "OK guys, we are selling too many receivers.... what can we do to sell less of them?" "Oh I know, we can make it so that electric guys wont buy them!" Yea, right...

You are doing something wrong if you cannot use the BEC in your ESC to power your servos. Are you sure your ESC has a BEC and its enabled? Also Its a fact that some ESC's wont work with synthesized receivers.

ORIGINAL: Barber420
Not all receivers have BEC nowadays still!!! I have a Futaba 3PM synthesized that gives up the BEC for the synthesization circuitry!!![X(] Who knows what kind of Rx he has, if his doesn't have BEC then he can't very well run it without extra Rx batteries!!! You can't tell what the heck he's using by his post.[&:]

Receivers with B.E.C's are from a bygone era, Before ESC's with BEC's. back when the mechanical speed control was king, so that you didnt need a seperate battery pack for the servos...