Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Solo Up-start use - line retrieval?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Solo Up-start use - line retrieval?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo Up-start use - line retrieval?

I've got a GP Spirit on my wish list and I'm pondering some gear I'll need to fly it. I'm considering using an up-start at the nearby school field. My question is, when running solo, are there any tricks to retrieving your line once your plane is up?

somegeek
Old 11-18-2008, 01:47 AM
kwmtrubrit

Default RE: Solo Up-start use - line retrieval?

Once your plane has left the up-start, you fly and hopefully land safely. Your up-start chute will bring the line down in your direction (subject to wind direction). When you've landed, you walk to the up-start chute, pull it back to your launch site and start the process all over again. No fancy retrievers for these things, just leg work.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Use the chute as a spot landing target, if it came down on field that is!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

An up-start is pretty short, total of about 100 feet I presume. So no need for any kind of retriver. Like OzMo, I use the chute as the landing target. Then, when I land I just pick it up and start walking.

For a hi-start, 400-600 feet long, the chute should still come back toward you.

When I deploy my HS I reel it out along the wind direction. When the while thing is deployed, I usually leave the reel on the ground at about the point where the hi-start finished coming off the reel. Even if a wind shift takes it to the left or right, this gives me a good depth starting point.

If there is no wind, then it is likely at or near the spike area as it will tend to fall straight down from the release point.

Using the chute as the landing target saves hunting time and gets you back in the air faster.