Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Eolo R22 and Piccolo Pro

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Eolo R22 and Piccolo Pro

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Bacon2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eolo R22 and Piccolo Pro

Hi,

Has anyone got one of these as I'm interested in one of them or a Piccolo Pro.

Eolo is new I think?

Thanks,

David
Old 05-31-2003, 02:54 PM
cebrey

I have the Eolo from Midland Helicopters (www.modelhelicopters.co.uk). I'm just in the process of building it now, but 2 other guys at our flying club also have them. They were flying it outside the club house last night, and it seemed to be an excellent chopper. However, I guess it depends what you want out of it. I've just encountered a problem during the build of mine though; they've given me 2 lower servo mounts rather than an upper mount and a lower mount. Bit of a bummer, but Robbe will replace missing parts etc without any quarrel (or so I'm told).

HTH.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Dodgey99

Hi mate. I have ordered both and will report back next week..... :-)
Old 06-01-2003, 08:51 AM
Bacon2002

Hi,

Dodgey99, both, what are you like???

Thats great news, I think I'm after a heli I can fly in doors and out doors on a calm'ish day and I also want it to be CP.

My Dragonfly/Hummingbird flys really well inside but outside its hopeless. Even in the lightest of winds it goes nuts.

The thing for me is that if the Piccolo Pro can fly outside I can use some of the Dragonfly stuff on it. But the Eolo looks quite big so I don't know if it will be any good inside and I'll need new stuff batteries etc.

I'll be very interested to hear what you have to say.

Cheers,

David

PS I ordered that Triton charger and lithium 1200 3s pack is your any good?
Old 06-01-2003, 08:56 AM
cebrey

The Eolo's not something you can fly in your bedroom, if that's what you mean You could fly it in something like a large hall, but it's an outside heli really.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Bacon2002

Thanks,

I had a feeling that would be the case, looks like its the Piccolo Pro unless something else comes along.

Cheers,

David
Old 06-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Bacon2002

Hi,

So has anyone got any experience of flying a Piccolo Pro inside and outside who could comment on how it flies?

Cheers,

David
Old 06-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Dodgey99

Bacon, I know, I Know (nuts!)

I got the Pro as I can't fly my HB outside, as you say, even a fart sends it skywards!

I got the Eolo because I want something as a backup for my Eco 8 when it breaks (hate waiting for parts!). The eolo seemed the only similar choice to the Eco 8, letting me use the same batteries (8 cells) and all. Besides, I like bulding them, and I also wanted a heli that looks like a real one.

I know your itching to know now, but by mid-next week I'll let you know how the Pro fares in and outside.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Bacon2002

Cool,

If the Pro is crap outside just lie (only joking), I really want someone to tell me they fly OK in a little wind and I'll be happy. Don't tell the bank mananger though....

Also I wanted to say thanks for your tip about using tape on damaged parts, excellent advice, I've been using superglue and parcel tape on broken blades etc and now they are stronger and more resilient than before the initial damage.

Thanks, let me know how you get on with the pro.

David
Old 06-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Dodgey99

hehe. You're welcome. Parcel tape is like cement!

Will let you know how I get on... (just had some great Eco 8 flights in the garden, running smooth as butter now :-) )

Roger
Old 06-02-2003, 12:22 AM
flyflie

Default Hey I want a Eolo

Im seriously considering ordering an Eolo r22 this week, as I want something more advanced then my Hummingbird. It was a good starter heli but im ready to move on.
I like to hear from the Eolo owners what they think of their helis.
any pro's and cons?
I will convert my Hummingbird into a palm size heli, I will use the plans for making the piccolo smaller and Try to make the Min-Hummingbird, Will post pics and plans when is all done. it i'll be even friendlier for indoor flying..
Old 06-03-2003, 02:10 PM
aashu
My Feedback: (6)

Default I own an Eolo

It just flies like any big rc Heli .. a friend of mine hovered it too in about 10MPH wind and it was great ..

for info check this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=94628
Old 06-04-2003, 11:58 AM
tim tompkins

With the addition of a hacker c-40 10t and model/sport c/f 395 blades I can do very fast loops and reasonable rolls.With the head speed@ 1900 I get only about 4.5 mins.air time.With the set up I'm using any wind up to aprox.10 mph is possible.When the wind is any more than that it is'nt any fun,so I get out my Nova.There is enough pitch range to climb out inverted also.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Dodgey99

Well, I've taken delivery of the R22 and build some of it last night. The quality of the kit is tops. I'm not suprised the flight times are low compared to the Eco 8. The bevel tail gear and drive shaft setup has a lot of friction.

Anyway, I would say that if you are looking fro the next step, after a micro, you might want to consider the Eco 8. I bought my R22 as an "in between" toy. If I just had a micro and the R22 then I know I'd want something bigger again. The Eco hovers in all kinds of winds.

Not tried the R22 in the air yet, but size-wise, that's my impression.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:18 PM
aashu

The bevel tail gear and drive shaft setup has a lot of friction.

I didn't have that trouble in mine ! mine is smooth as silk . Don't push the boom harder in the housing that sometimes makes it tighter fit . Also I used the free upgrade from Robbe and that made a lot of difference .. Before the free upgrade , the tail had minor vibs will fly this weekend .. lets see how it goes
Old 06-05-2003, 08:04 AM
Dodgey99

Yeah. I've put the head together now, and the upgrade kit arrived this morning. When I refered to friction I was comparing it against the ECO 8 which has a near friction free belt drive. Also, the tail drive shaft runs through two plastic collets which suprised me. Thought they would be bearings.

Anyhow. Looking sweet so far. Blinkin tough to build though. Especially the push rods. My fingers are soooo sore!

Doen not half look sweet. Sooo well made.

Can anyone tell me how to balance flybar paddles easily. I am running in the motor and I get a little wobble on the heli at low throttle. Never bothered balancing paddles before, but since I'm at this stage now, though I might get it smooth before adding the tail etc.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Wright Flyer

Dodgey,

I'll be REALLY interested to hear how the Eco and Eolo compare once you've got your Eolo into the air. I currently have a Corona but am thinking about a CP second e-heli and the Eolo and Eco8 are right up there near the top of the list. I need an opinion from someone who has both as to which would be better to go with.

Cliff
Old 06-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Dodgey99

should / will be in the air in a day or two...
Old 06-05-2003, 02:19 PM
aashu

Default Dodgey

I love belt drives myself.. much less of hastle ..
Old 06-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Dodgey99

Well, nearly completed now. I have to say though, looking at what I've built.... If I were making the next step from a micro like the Pic I would recommend skipping the Eolo and going for the Eco 8 or similar size. The Eolo is a real odd size kind of micro but bigger. We'll see.

Flight report tomorrow....

:-)

p.s. will build the CP Pic Pro next week :-)
Old 06-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Dodgey99

Eolo R22 is in the air.

See new post "Eolo R22 - get one!"
Old 06-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Dodgey99

Bacon boy! In reply to your original question.. I've flown the Pic Pro and the R22 now.

The Pic pro (mine is running brushless) is a FAR more "serious" machine than the basic or HummingBird. It is a LOT more responsive than the Hummingbird. It maintains a steady hover height much more easily but requires a lot more concentration.

The HB is a piece of cake to fly indoors, due to it's relatively low head speed, fixed pitch, and duller responses. The Pro needs a lot more care. The HB has crashed into all sorts of stuff in my house and is fine, as is my furniture. I would not want to crash the Pro indoors.

I spooled her up first time and immediately tipped her over! Then I tried again, but with more care. I have not gone outside yet, but I can tell it will be 100% better than the HB.

I have to say, unless you have a good large indoor space to fly the Pro, keep the HB for indoors and get an R22 for outdoors. I can't express how easy the R22 is to fly.

On my second pack yesterday I was flying over my house for the first time ever, and I have a very narrow garden!

The R22 is like 10 times easier to fly.

I'm getting 7.5 minutes on the R22 with 3000Ni-Mh, and about a minute less with 2400Ni-Cd - both 8 cells.

The Pro is running on - Hacker B20-36S, 9 tooth, Phoenix 10 ESC, GWS 50 for tail, HLG200 Gyro, E-Tech 1200mah Li-po High current battery. I have not managed to flatten the battery yet!! (although you should never flatten a Li-Po).

The B20-36s is supposed to be a "tame" motor. I'm running on gov mode at 85% throttle and if I hit the throttle it would end up in the attic in seconds!

My summary so far

HummingBird/Pic FP - Perfect for indoors. Tough, cheap. Sh@te outdoors.
Pic Pro- Need big space indoords, very entertaining, should be good outdoors in moderate breeze.
Eolo R22 - Fantastic Outdoors, unbeatable, could be flown by the brain-dead!
Eco 8 - Awesome, large, fast, frightening, much more flighty than the R22 due to being much lighter and the R22 having duller cyclic responses. Want 3D, then this is the one.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Dodgey99

OK, just flown her outside with mild breeze and small gusts.

YIKES! it's awesome (Pic Pro). Clibms like a demon, faster than my big helis! I've had to add 40% expo on the cyclic to calm it down. Absolutely perfect outdoors!! It's looney!!!!!

Running E-tech 1200Mah 3S pack (11.1v) - it got dark before the pack even got low!

Love it.

Updated verdict: Pic pro outdoors - yes indeed!
Old 06-13-2003, 03:14 PM
McKoi
My Feedback: (1)

eolo or piccolo ? humm I fly both and sell both,
they are 2 diffence classes of helis

the pic is micro and the eolo is sub 30size

the eolo has all the goodies that a full size ship has unlike the eco 8(no thrust bearings in the head) etc etc /...

the piccolo need serious upgrading if you want arobatic preformance and it will drive you cazy like most micros do...

want to see the eolo fly look at my short videos

they are at the bottom of the front page
http://www.rchover.com

thanks
Jeremy
Old 06-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Bacon2002

Hi,

I couldn't take listening to Dodgey99 go on about new helis and all the fun he's having with his Pic Pro and R22 so I've ordered one myself (Pic Pro).

Thanks for your feed back everyone.

I know the R22 etc is probably a better heli for me to move onto after a DF/HB but I can use some of my existing stuff on the Pro (Battery, motor and some spares etc).

Cheers,

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.