Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

NITRO DUCTED FAN IS NOT DEAD LOOK!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

NITRO DUCTED FAN IS NOT DEAD LOOK!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NITRO DUCTED FAN IS NOT DEAD LOOK!

Yes I wish I could have a jet but for now with a little creativity nitro ducted fan can still be fun . The pictures are of my new scratch build it started as a 60size delta. One day I decided to run the wing through the band saw and turn it into ducted fan delta. I just started the plywood formers/wng joiners. I am using a K&B 45 RIRE and turbax. When done it will look like the great planes electrifly miglet. That is what gave me the idea. What do you think will it FLY??? Please keep in mind it is in the very rough stage to please be gentle with the negative comments.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25018.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1082982  
Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: NITRO DUCTED FAN IS NOT DEAD LOOK!

It will probably fly fine. My buddy and I got bored and mounted a kyosho 15 ducted fan on a parkzone stryker. it goes pretty well but wing loading went way up.

Kevin
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they seats from an airliner in the background? Makes an interesting sofa !!

Dan
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM
iflyg450

Yup they came out of a nordic airlines 727. I found them at Goodwill they had about 30 rows. It was in great shape and only cost 20 bucks. They reclice pretty far back they tray tabels work and their were even a few barf bags and peanuts in the seat back pockets. Also due to the older nature of the seats they are very comfortable. feels more like a 1st class seat rather them modern coach. On the delta the nose gear is going to retract into the right side of the wing its very off center but it should get the job done Hey it works in the A-10
Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

Yup they came out of a nordic airlines 727. I found them at Goodwill they had about 30 rows. It was in great shape and only cost 20 bucks. They reclice pretty far back they tray tabels work and their were even a few barf bags and peanuts in the seat back pockets. Also due to the older nature of the seats they are very comfortable. feels more like a 1st class seat rather them modern coach. On the delta the nose gear is going to retract into the right side of the wing its very off center but it should get the job done Hey it works in the A-10

Hey ur my kinda guy!!, i love to collect real aircraft parts also for my collection, i have few on me now and this reminds me, i have similar set of B767 seats sitting at a friends house for sometime now, i'll see if i can get them back as he loved my set and took it for his enjoyment.

Yep your offset nose gear should be ok, it's just not on A-10 but also on Hawker Siddley's Trident airliners!, take a look at those trijets, they have more offset then A-10s....

Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My opinion:

1) Yes, it will fly as long you dial it up the right CG and control throws, and a fly it on a smooth surface. A positive angle of attack on the ground is a must, as the main gears are well aft the CG area, making rotation quite difficult.

2) The thrust tube and fan are "thinning" the wing right in the middle of it... you can shift up the fan and tube without problems and keep the wing thicker at this point making it much stronger.. a spar system connecting both wing panels would be welcome.

3) you may use now this space to put the fuel tank right on the CG, and you will also have a place for a central nose gear.

Enrique

(a humble member of the TBA... Tibetan Bureau of Aeronautics)

Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 AM
iflyg450

The formers also act as a spar connecting the two wing halves. Each former extends into each wing section. The first former extends 4" into the wing the second and third go 12" into each wing and a sloted with the ribs. I have made them from 1/8 aircraft plywood. Thank you for the tip on positive AOA on the ground! I have about 420sq in of wing area and it should come in around 5-5.5 lbs that should give me a very light wing load and the K&B gives plenty of thurst. I ran the engine on a old midwest jester (you can see it in my hangar on my profile) That plane was about 6.25 lbs the airframe wasn't clean, and my wing area was much less. But it all worked great. It was a great test bed.