Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Detailing Warbird

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Detailing Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Warbird

I need advice on how to go about detailing an older P-51D that is an older KMP kit. Nice looking, covered, but no panel lines, etc...the body is fiberglass, wings are sheeted.....I;m thinking about etching the lines, rivets, etc....then dusting in a color, then oil streaks, wear, etc...then spraying with a clear matt....any ideas, etc appreciated Thanks WC
Old 12-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Detailing Warbird

Whether this is appropriate for your situation I do not know but it is a different idea. I never had a lot of luck with ink panel lines, the pen would miss or blob. Mistakes were very difficult to remove. For the panel lines on my Cosmic Wind in the picture I used a collet pencil with 0.5 mm dia lead and "H" hardness. The line thickness stays constant and if I made a mistake I just rubbed it out and did it again. There is no danger of smudging wet ink. The pencil might not work too well on a gloss finish.

Good Luck

Ed s
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67919.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1084180  
Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

That looks really good....what a beautiful plane. I have thought about using a point to make the lines and then rub some paint across to put in a shadow. I have also thought about using the thinnest pin stripping I can find...put it on, clear coat with a matt finish and then remove the tape, leaving a groove. Thanks WC
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
rcuman

If the whole plane is fiberglass it may be possible to sand the paint off a little, use thin tape for the panel lines, then put primer on the plane painting over the tape. Upon drying remove the tape and you have your panel lines. Paint said plane whatever color you wish. It will take a little time to do it this way but it will look good once it is done.