Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Richmodel 100cc Airplanes?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Richmodel 100cc Airplanes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Richmodel 100cc Airplanes?

Anybody have experience with the "new' Richmodel 100 cc airplanes. They look very promising and AK Models has an Extra 260 and an Extra 330L in stock with FREE shipping at very reasonable prices. http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=GIANTSCALE
Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Flyfalcons

Default RE: Richmodel 100cc Airplanes?

That has a shoulder-wing and a single seat canopy. How do they figure that is an Extra 330L?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Bass1

Yeah, I just noticed that. It kinda looks just like their Extra 260 http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=GIANTSCALE
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
clankford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recieved the Extra 260 from AK Models before Thanksgiving. I'm almost finished putting it together and hope to maiden Wednesday if the weather is good. So far everything has went together very well. I have been flying the Rich Model 50cc Yak 54 for about a year and it flies great so I had no worries about getting the 100cc. This is the 6th plane I have bought from AK Models and have always received great service from Alex.

I too noticed that the 330L appeared to be exactly the same as the 260 except the color scheme.

A word of caution if you get this plane. THE HINGES ARE NOT GLUED AS STATED IN THE MANUAL!!! It appears the manual is copied from Aeroworks or another company. Some of the pictures do not correspond to this plane. You can download the manual for the Pacific Planes 100cc Extra 260 which is exactly the same plane except for the color scheme. There are also a couple of great videos on the Pacific Planes website. Here is a link to a thread about the PP 260: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71...tm.htm#8188513

In my opinion you can't go wrong for the money. I bought before the free shipping was offered but payed $456 plus $108 shipping which is about the same overall price. One thing I noticed is that most other places charge around $189 for shipping for a 100cc plane.

Hey Bass1, I am in Suffolk if you want to stop by and see her first hand.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Bass1

Clankford, I have the Richmodel 50cc Yak also. That's basically what sparked my interest in their larger models. You certainly can't beat the prices through AK Models. I did have a few minor problems with it but after taking care of those issues it is a darn good flying airplane. I also used the Pacific Planes manual for my Yak. What engine are you powering your 260 with? As far as their "330L", I think they must have miscalculated the 10% rule by quite a bit (Chinese arithmetic?) and I would have to peal off the 330L stickers and call it a 230 or a 260 Keep us posted on the maiden!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I have the Pacific Planes Extra 260, which is essentially a Rich Models airplane with some minor improvements and much better covering.

It is a decent plane, very good flyer and the hardware is pretty good, especially all the CF parts.

The only thing one needs to keep in mind is that this is a very loose copy of the Aeroworks and in some areas the woodwork is not as good. I would rebuild and seriously add significant ply support to the entire landing gear area. What is there right now will pop out after the second or third smooth landing...

Other than that, the 260 is a great 100cc plane.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Bass1

Yarom, I chose to reglue and add a few cross braces to the gear box in my Richmodel Yak, I was a little worried about it as an aquaintence has one and his gear box failed (insufficient glue) after a few routine landings but mine has held up well with the little bit of preventive maintenence. The covering on my Yak is excellent (Oracover/ Ultracote). Not sure what they're using on the 100cc models, I would assume it's the same stuff?? The Richmodel airplane is about $200 less than the Pacific Planes airplane and with the free shipping, it's probably closer to $300. That's almost half the cost of a new DL 100. Not a bad budget combo for the "penny pincher" set!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
clankford

Bass1, I am using a DA100 with standard mufflers. I had it on a QQ 102" Yak that I lost back in the summer due to a radio problem. Unfortunately I bought it before the DL 100 came to market or I would have definately gone that route to save some dough. With this plane you can put together a budget 100cc for less than a 50cc would cost you a couple years back. I paid around $550 for a TOC/SD Models Yak not including shipping. My DA50 with pitts muffler costs about the same as what you can get a DL 100 for nowadays.

As for the covering, the 100cc Extra is top notch. I am not that crazy about the scheme but it is very nicely done.

Thanks to yarom's and other's posts in another thread I added some reinforcement to the landing gear area. As I also learned in those threads this plane comes in very nose heavy so I started out with the rudder servos in the tail in push/pull configuration. The fuse already has the servo mounts opened up for it.

Yarom, where did you end up with the CG. The Pacific Planes owners manual says the CG should be 8 3/8" back but the center of the wing tube is a good starting point, which is about 8" according to my measurements.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I am half an inch behind the tube and like it there.

Ignition battery is right behind the tube and the two radio batteries are towards the aft end of the canopy bay behind the power expander.

Plane used to weight 26lbs. even and now weights 4oz. more because I added ply to the gear box.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Them planes are a steal. It's cool that they include good hardware.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
2robinhood

I had the 50cc Richmodel Yak 54 and loved it.
I always wanted the 100cc Richmodel Yak 54.
The only one I seen have the 100cc Yak was EastRC.
They don't even list it anymore.
They ( EastRC ) wanted $999.00 for it. At that $ I would go with Aeroworks, Extreme flight, PAU, ect.
Right now AK Models is having a Christmas sale.
Enter code ( FLYAKM ) and you get 20% off.
So that would be $460.00 for the Extra 260 and $468.00 for the 330L.
You can't go wrong for a 100cc plane for under $500.00
I like the quality of my 50cc Richmodel Yak.

Here is a video of the 100cc Extra 260 flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY-3Z...29403526.20213

Old 12-18-2008, 10:40 PM
clankford

Well I couldn't stand it any more. The weather was cold and overcast today but it was better than any of my days off in the last couple of weeks so I went out for the maiden flight today. This plane flies great no matter what the price is. I only got in two 10 minute flights. One pleasant surprise is how well this plane knife edged all the way across the field with no coupling. From what I had read I expected some pitch coupling but could see no pitch or roll coupling. Also she does a beautiful inverted flat spin, just floating down. It will do waterfalls better than any plane I have ever had, including the QQ 102" Yak. Power was great, a rocket with the DA100.

Can't wait to get the CG a little further back to see what she can really do!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Bass1

Good news! Keep us posted. Is Matt M still flying out there? He really helped me out with some great photos of the Smithsonian Wagstff 260 for a project I was building several years ago.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 PM
clankford

No Matt started getting out of the hobby and sold everything off at least a year ago. I haven't seen him since then. I hated to see him go because he was a great pilot and a very knowledgeable guy. I also enjoyed watching him fly his 40% Carden Extra 260.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Bass1

Oh well, He'll come back eventually. They always do. Been there done that!