Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets and Airliners

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets and Airliners

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jets and Airliners

HI all, has anyone brought a jet in case on a airliner . Did you have any problems, and what did it cost you.
Any info would really be appreciated.
Rcpete
Old 12-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jets and Airliners

Since 911, many new chemical sensing devices have been installed and and are in use in many airports gate areas. Any liquids including bottled drinking water cannot be taken to the gates or aboard airliners unless purchased beyond the TSA inspection station. Good chance that hydrocarbons would be detected in the JetCase unless completely purged.
Unlike kerosene, DX330 evaporates without leaving a residual odor.

The last time I transported a JetCase on an airliner, it went as baggage, and at no extra fee....but that was in 1999.

It might be adviseable to contact the airline you intend to use and get all of the facts from them before travelling.

If you find that you can use the JetCase on an airliner, it is a good idea to completely purge the fuel system of any residual kerosene, and then flush it with PPG DX330 "Acryliclean"wax and grease remover to rid the jet of the kerosene fumes and odor.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pete: There's NO WAY they will let you carry it in lugage. You'll have to send it by cargo.
Just ask Frankie Mirandes about it. Last time we went to Fla. Jets several years ago, they
made us open the jet case and sent us running to the cargo area, less than 15 mins. before boarding.
AND if they smell something that resembles fuel, no going.

Hector
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
tahfiet

Hi Pete!

A year ago we made a trip half around the world (and back) with two jets packed in cardboard-boxes. No single issue and my friend even forgot to defuel and turned it the wrong way around before we left his home. Well, the box was soaked with kero....

Made it in one piece from germany to Dubai/UAE and then from Dubai to Australia and back to germany.

BR,

David
Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Mike Emilio

ORIGINAL: tahfiet

Hi Pete!

A year ago we made a trip half around the world (and back) with two jets packed in cardboard-boxes. No single issue and my friend even forgot to defuel and turned it the wrong way around before we left his home. Well, the box was soaked with kero....

Made it in one piece from germany to Dubai/UAE and then from Dubai to Australia and back to germany.

BR,

David
And it didn't need a passport!
I'm tell'in.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I have a letter from the director of Air Canada hazardous goods. It states that my model can be carried as checked baggage providing the fuel is drained and flushed with mineral spirits. If this is done, it isconsidered non hazardous and can be checked as regular baggage. I have not tried it but at least I have the letter. This letter was after 9/11.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Mike Emilio

This is what I got.
Full calibration checked yearly.

Just let an air hose blow in the tank etc for a bit. All the fumes will be evaporated/blown out.

Any explosive mixture of fuel/air puts the indicator needle in the red.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27258.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1090396