Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

35% Yak???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM
golfingguy27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Yak???

Hey Guys,
I am getting ready to buy my first 35% plane in several years. I haven't decided for sure if I want to just buy something used for the sake of getting something already set up that I can just go fly, or buy new and get exactly what I want. But at any rate, I really like Yaks. From the reading I have done about them, I like the sounds of the TOC-Extreme/aviation Models/SD (whatever other names they may have been sold under) Yaks. I went to Troybuilt models page and they no longer have them listed. Have they stopped selling them? Does anybody else sell them? Should I look at any other brands? I know Extreme Flight's Yak comes highly recommended too. I actually have the smaller 74" version sitting unfinished on a shelf at home. I am also looking at WildHare's Sukhoi which seems to have a lot of fans on here as well. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 PM
turboratt

Default RE: 35% Yak???

toc is now sold under ace hobbies hope this helps but have you looked into aeroworks yaks i got one im building and is very good plus i have flown another guys yak and is very sweet flying
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Todd
The only 2 I would even consider
are the EF Yak or the QQ Yak.

Both are great flyin planes with great service.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
golfingguy27

Why would you not consider the Ace/Toc-xtreme Yak? Pretty much anybody I have talked to or read about that has them says they are the biggest/lightest Yaks out their and that they fly 3D like big foamies. I'm just curious why you would eliminate them. Stristly customer service or????? One reason I am not super crazy about the Extreme Flight or QQ Yaks are covering schemes. I am pretty picky when it comes to covering schemes and I don't like any of there schemes and they don't offer an ARC or all white version.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM
T. Bob

Ace/Toc-xtreme Yak
I had a 30% and a friend has a 37.5%.

Quality is the main reason and the planes came in fat.

People will disagree with me, but thats my personal experience

Service is also very important I had a problem when it was TOC with a cowl and they told me to live with it.

It may be different now.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:27 PM
T. Bob

My brother lives in Frederick, MD.

Nice town
Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM
golfingguy27

Frederick is where I live. Does your brother fly? I wonder if I know him!?!?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 PM
T. Bob

No

He's a deadbeat

I agree with ya r/e the schemes but somethings are more important.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, golfingguy (No, not goldfinger )
You should check out the WH Sukhoi. It is an awesome performer and good looking aiplane. It comes with those nice pocket hinges. That feature alone makes it worth to buy. The whole plane weighs not more than 26 + pounds with a good twin. The quality of the kit is second to none. Can't beat the price and the service you get from Wildhare. I am telling you.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I have to 2nd the EF Yak.. it's over a foot longer than the WH and overal much larger for a similar weight with 300 sqs more. It looks like a 40% yet still comes out 27 - 28 pounds.. You can do close to 26 with a DA 85 and CF Pipe.

Excellent quality and for some reason there has been a waiting list for the last year Couple in right now, but more due in Jan and I think the waiting list is finished. I am hoping to get one myself.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

I agree the EF Yak is the largest Yak in the 35% range. It is built light and flies closer to a 40% than a 35%.

Here is a picture of the EF Yak sitting nose to nose with the 37.5% SD models Yak.
That should give you an idea of how big the EF is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69853.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1092027  
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM
T. Bob

To compare the Ef with a Wh is not even a fair fight.
The EF is a far better product.
Again this is from personal experence so no fighting.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
thevirginian

Well, if you mean the EF Yak 54 with 110" WS this kit runs $1049.00 +SH, whereas the WH Sukhoi costs you $849.00+SH. It's like comparing apples with oranges.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
golfingguy27

Well, here is my take on the cost thing though.. If I am going to be spending in the neighborhood of $4000 on a new plane, I'm not going to let $200 sway me from one plane to another. I just need to decide what plane I am going to be the happiest with. If Extreme Flight had some more appealing covering schemes and were readily available, I would almost no doubt buy one. That being said, I am picky with covering schemes and need to like my covering scheme in order fo rme to be happy with the plane, regardless of how well it flies. I suppose I could consider seeing if I could add to the scheme or re-do parts of it to make it "my own". I don't like having the exact same thing anybody else has. I like the fact that the Extreme Flight is big. I really want a 40%er but don't want the added expense. I will have to check the dimensions of the EF with the vehicle I would be transporting it in to make sure it would fit before I consider it. I don't have a trailer, but am getting ready to buy a Dodge Durango which I know the Sukhoi would fit in, but not sure about the EF Yak. Decisions Decisions........
Old 12-18-2008, 01:11 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

EF Yak all the way.

If you are looking for the biggest/lightest, there is no question which yak to get. I have owned the SD 35% and the Extreme Flight. I know Chris had an all white one in the first batch.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: golfingguy27

Well, here is my take on the cost thing though.. If I am going to be spending in the neighborhood of $4000 on a new plane, I'm not going to let $200 sway me from one plane to another. I just need to decide what plane I am going to be the happiest with. If Extreme Flight had some more appealing covering schemes and were readily available, I would almost no doubt buy one. That being said, I am picky with covering schemes and need to like my covering scheme in order fo rme to be happy with the plane, regardless of how well it flies. I suppose I could consider seeing if I could add to the scheme or re-do parts of it to make it "my own". I don't like having the exact same thing anybody else has. I like the fact that the Extreme Flight is big. I really want a 40%er but don't want the added expense. I will have to check the dimensions of the EF with the vehicle I would be transporting it in to make sure it would fit before I consider it. I don't have a trailer, but am getting ready to buy a Dodge Durango which I know the Sukhoi would fit in, but not sure about the EF Yak. Decisions Decisions........

Remember the Extreme Flight’s Stabs come off very easily. I take mine off most of the time so it doesn’t take up as much room. I know if I could haul an 88†in a Prius the 110†should fit in a Durango. I just bought a camper top for my truck so I can haul the 110†without pulling my trailer.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Taildragger726

Pilot-RC ???

Maiden flight, felt very comfortable. Pilot-RC will also do a custom scheme for ya!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4eSjKB7H2w
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Rush7

This is were I always get cracked up where people want to talk about compairing plane to plane.
Why is it like comparing apples to oranges? They look pretty close to me. Those bottom dollar prices that you gave are a little misleading.
No harware at all is included in the Sukhoi kit so add another $85 dollars for hardware. Now you are up to $934. The Wildhare does not come with any wing bags, canopy cover or stab bag like the EF does. Add another $65 just for giggles. Now you have total price of $999.00. EF also has a dash panel and a pilot in there kit. That should be worth the $50 difference between the two.......dont you think.

With that being said those apples dont taste that much different than those oranges.

To me this is what it comes down to.
Customer service: Wildhare is top notch. EF is top notch.
Do you want a plane that is more like a 40% with a 35% price tag. EF hands down. Its bigger and flies bigger.
3D: Pretty tight race
IMAC: Again tight race
HINGES......why? The EF has robart hinges. Pretty easy to repair. Wildhare has pocket hinges, these can be a nightmare if you need to repair.
Covering scheme: That all depends on what you like. Either one can be made into a beauty or a beast.

I noticed that you said that you have to be happy with your scheme. You might want to check out the Pilot RC line. They will custom cover one for you.

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

Well, if you mean the EF Yak 54 with 110" WS this kit runs $1049.00 +SH, whereas the WH Sukhoi costs you $849.00+SH. It's like comparing apples with oranges.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM
golfingguy27

Hhhmm.. I've been curious about pilot rc... who sells them? I think TBM is starting to sell them. How would I find out about a custom scheme?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Rush7

Man Tony......... I guesss I was just a little late to hit the post button.
I kind of said the same thing.......lol
ORIGINAL: Taildragger726

Pilot-RC ???

Maiden flight, felt very comfortable. Pilot-RC will also do a custom scheme for ya!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Rush7

Call TBM or you can contact Pilot directly.

Haha I hope I beat you on this one Tony.

Hhhmm.. I've been curious about pilot rc... who sells them? I think TBM is starting to sell them. How would I find out about a custom scheme?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Taildragger726

ORIGINAL: Rush7

Man Tony......... I guesss I was just a little late to hit the post button.
I kind of said the same thing.......lol
ORIGINAL: Taildragger726

Pilot-RC ???

Hey Clarke, yup, about the same thing!

As you can tell, I really like the Pilot-RC Yak,,,,, ( I also really like the EF Yak too, I just can't say that!)
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Taildragger726

ORIGINAL: Rush7

Call TBM or you can contact Pilot directly.

Haha I hope I beat you on this one Tony.

Of course you can contact TBM, should have a bunch of them early January, 941-342-8685

Or Pilot-RC direct http://www.pilot-rc.com
Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Here's one for you and it's on sale. 150cc size plane for a 100cc price. [link]http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MHYAK-118[/link]