Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Can I apply Monokote or Ultracote to plastic ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Can I apply Monokote or Ultracote to plastic ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I apply Monokote or Ultracote to plastic ?

Actually it's painted plastic. I also have a little pinstriping to apply to my cowl as well which is painted fiberglass. Can I iron some pinstriping down on my painted plastic turtle deck or to my cowl? Just wondering if this is an option and has anyone done this with success?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Can I apply Monokote or Ultracote to plastic ?

Yes, but if you're not covering the entire surface (Like adding a stripe or shape) you'll have to be very careful about melting the paint at the edges.

You'll also be better off with Ultracote as it doesn't need as much heat.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Flyboy1958

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I would like to add a star about two inches in diameter and some pin stripes.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
MinnFlyer

In that case, you may want to use MonoKote and "No Heat" trim solvent
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Flyboy1958

OK, you don't think the trim solvent would do anything to the paint?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 PM
MinnFlyer

Don't know for sure, better test it first
Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM
r2champion

I would try the monokote and windex method before using trim solvent. Trim solvent is very powerful and will almost certainly destroy your paint. The windex shouldn't due any harm to the paint, will adhere the monokote well, and is also heat free. Do a search for monokote and windex, works great.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Unless you need to exactly match the colour of the moneycoat elsewhere on the model I would use contact vinyl or similar from a sign shop. You can pick up scraps for very little $s and for small amounts weight is not an issue. Seal the edges once applied with clear nail polish to fuel proof. If you need to use moneycoat to match I agree that the windex method is the way to go.

Merry Christmas,

Colin
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

I have had good luck with the Hanger 9 trim sheets (adhesive backed). I have a 1/2" on a LT-40 I built for my son 3 years ago and it has had no problems from fuel. I used the Top Flite Trim cutter to cut, it works great.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Flyboy1958

Thanks, I'll check into the trim sheets, good idea!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:10 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: r2champion

I would try the monokote and windex method before using trim solvent. Trim solvent is very powerful and will almost certainly destroy your paint. The windex shouldn't due any harm to the paint, will adhere the monokote well, and is also heat free. Do a search for monokote and windex, works great.
Hi.....after 35+ years of building I'm going to use a film type of covering for the first time. Please tell me about this windex on film thing??? I'm going to cover a Giant Aeromaster and need some tips on how to apply any trim colors I may use on it.
Don't ask me why it took so long to get around to iron on film but I just didn't accept it why back when and used what I knew best.........some type of fabric and paint.....It has worked well for me and I do it very very well....had a guy ask me what type of film I used on my last build.......it was Stits polyfiber not film but the glass like finish fools some people.

Anyhow what about this windex thing?? does the windex hold the trim down forever? or is it just a way to position the trim till you apply heat to it??

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

flyboy1958,

I've used Monokote on painted cowls and plastic parts many times. Tried the trim sheets and fuel made the stuff ooze goo. Messy! Have some Monokote stripes and glare shield that have been on a Calypso cowl for 20+ years.

Technique is: Thoroughly clean the surface and rub the MK (while hot) behind the (covered w/ cloth) iron. No edge raising. No fuel soaking under. No paint burning.

Terry in LP
Old 12-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Clay Walters

Cover in monokote (base cover). Clean the covering where you want to place the trim or decal and then spray with regular Windex or equivalent ammonia based window cleaner. Make your stripes or trim from monokote, (remove the clear backing) and place (slide) onto the monokote base cover. Use your fingers, a credit card, or any other squeege you're comfortable with to firmly press the trim to the covering and simultaneously work out any air bubbles. Let dry overnight. Usually you're good to go but you can followup with an iron if you wish.

I've done the same with monokote trim sheets. Don't know if the adhesive is the same but the results seem to be.

Regards,

Clay
Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Flyboy1958

Thanks, I did just that. Cut my stripes and stars and used the windex to position the stripes and stars, got the bubbles out and let it dry overnight. Followed up with my iron and it seems to be perfect. Only time will tell. Thanks again. I did it on the fueslage and the fiberglass cowl as well, no problems. I LIKE IT !!!