Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nitro
59.79%
electric
40.21%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Nitro vs. Electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:40 PM
python661

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro vs. Electric

Ok. So just vote for your favorite and post a comment on why.

There has been alot of disscussion on this. This poll should sort it
Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
happywing

Default RE: Nitro vs. Electric

Oh yes. This poll will finally end all of the speculation.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
savagecommander

i vote neither- gas will beat them both.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Another nitro vs. electric thread! Haven't we had enough of these things!!!!!![&:][:@][sm=drowning.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
mkoresh12

Need a both option. No power source is truly better than the other. It all a matter of opinion and everyone has one of those. Like the previous poster said, this poll will sort nothing, just create more of the same areguments.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM
TornadoGuy

Well, as for me I would definitely vote electric. This is because with nitro there is many steps to keep it in top shape, such as the breakdown cleaning after every run, the storage procedure, and the extensive amount of just overall labor. As with electric either the standard brushed motor (may require some maintenance such as changing the brushes), or the brushless motor (virtually maintenance free), mostly do the job. Lastly, electric is much cheaper then nitro (in most cases). That is why I vote electric.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:14 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

i own both i vote nitro all the way
Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither, 1/5 gas is my favorite
Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Snipin_Willy

Wasn't there a "beating a dead horse" smiley somewhere?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Old 12-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Dokioto

Nitro gets my vote..

This poll should end the discussion? What about the other 10,000 polls on this topic? I would list all the links but you didn't find the time to look either...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I think there should be a bot on RCU that automatically locks threads titled "Nitro vs Electric" or "Electric vs Nitro" or "Losi vs Associated..." ad nauseam.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
qaiz

Nuclear Power FTW.!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:31 AM
J4K3SHNEG

There are too many threads on this, there is no outright winner its just opinion!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Yub, yub, cmdr!

I think there should be a bot on RCU that automatically locks threads titled "Nitro vs Electric" or "Electric vs Nitro" or "Losi vs Associated..." ad nauseam.
I agree....
Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 AM
rc rock

ORIGINAL: qaiz

Nuclear Power FTW.!
+1
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Access

Just like some of us like nitro and others electric, and most of us just likes to drive, there is a segment of the hobby that doesn't like either, doesn't really enjoy driving or racing, but they do enjoy coming to different forums and posting threads like this or trying to start the general controversies that will never, until the end of time, be resolved. Some states are pretty close (or already have) passed ordinances outlawing carbureted 2-stroke engines, or 2-strokes w/o direct injection, but otherwise, nothing is really going to change beyond what it already has here. Fortunately most of these ordinances have been limited to boating or gardening / landscaping and nothing has really touched RC yet.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guys....I disagree, to some extent, that this topic is old, old, old. The fact is, electric has come a long way recently and at least one old arguement (nitro engine vs electric power) has had the tables turned over the last few years. So, some useful discussion could be had, but not so far.

And I can't contibute for the electrics, because I'm a nitro snob and electrics don't interest me. But someone could speak up, and highlight the recent changes on the electric scene and how they affect this age-old argument.

ps: Unrelated, but seeing as how a couple of posters have already commented about gas......gasoline is almost as boring as electrics...great for drivers, but no fun for us mechanically inclined guys who find tuning a fun part of the hobby.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Axxis

Ijust started this hobby and I'm a huge tinkerer. Eventually I plan on having a "race only" vehicle. Gotta find out what the locals are racing. Basically Iwanted speed of hobby level RC's but Iwanted to clear the ground out back. (I'm in KY) Gas Powered Monster Truck, so I built a T-Maxx. Well it's not gas, it's nitro-methane fuel. Throughout construction Ifound Ineeded different oil for everything. The white crap in tranny, diff oil, air filter oil, shock oil, after run oil. Then when you look at CAglue, threadlock, air duster, degreaser/motor cleaner, glow fuel and glow plugs and Tyres, that's a hell of a lot of CONSUMABLES. Technically we have lots of hardware (c-clips, screws) that needs upkeep as well. Idont know about you but I'm a tool guy. Ibelieve in them, they are what set us free thousands of years ago. I'll spend 100 bucks on the right tool quicker than any part or upgrade ANY-time and EVERY-time. Ihad precision screwdrivers(had to buy hexdrivers) pliars, wrenches, hobby knifes, clamps and vises, then; powered dremel, soldering iron, cordless drill and multimeter. I could go on and on but, my point is I need 90% of this stuff! Most hobbyists are gonna have some tools but what about the young guys. The life of ANYsport depends on the new talent. There is no such thing as standing still. Iknow many people like the sport now but the fact is either it moves in a positive direction or crash n burn. Becoming stale and stagnant will cause the latter. Everyone in the hobby likes to tinker and tune to some extent, I'm not complaining a bit about having options and ways to tune and individualize your vehicle. But Iwill say most of this stuff is extremely over priced. 3 dollars for a tube of white grease thats half the size of a ketchup pack? Gas or electric?I'm not going to rehash this thread but Elec. has a lot of momentum right now. Obviously nitro has the cool factor but it's main 'ACE" in the hole has always been power/speed. IF they can logistically market and manafacture a NEW nitro engine that outperforms everything while staying affordable, nitro will never die. Noone is going to spend thousands of dollars on tweaking some brushless race car when someone can show up with a RedCat Racing car that is built with $3.00 parts and a $300.00 engine and just dusts your ass all day. IT's always going to boil right down to POWER. Raw, unbridled acceleration and speed will always sell! there will always be someone trying to tame it and tweak it for racing. Problem is can they continue to make engines that can win races without being twice the price. Because electrics will drop in price, that's a given. The nitro engine manufacturers better stick to their ace in the hole.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 AM
lez1troubles

Nitro rocks always, no charging, just love to tank it and run it as hard as I can.
I do however still own an old Tamiya Sand scorcher(Electric) and run it around the track for fun.
Actually they are both just as much fun as the other.
Gas is for in my motor bike(KTM SX525)
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If there is one thing I hate it's when member tells a new guy to use the search function but in all honesty this topic has been gone over so many times it's ridiculous. Every thread ends up a a crying match between the Nitro and electric guys.

I refuse to vote. If you want peoples opinions use the search function. You find 20 threads in the last year.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Nitro Fumes

Nitro for me. When I got into this hobby it was in 1983. Electrics were more toy like. Then I learned about the more serious electrics because I was into racing. So during the winters we raced 1/12 electric indoors. I know they were more primitive then. But electrics were always a bigger pain to keep running well then nitro. And the only noise they make is gear whine. Give me noise and smoke! Nitro has always been quite trouble free for me too!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 AM
nitroholic

I like nitro,i do like electric also,but being so out dated on electric i don't no nothing,last electric i owned was a hornet in the early 80's,when they all just had the brushed 540's and the racing 7.2v or the 7.2v hump back.I think a really top of the line electric would out run me,for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45218.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1568616  
Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 AM
22johnq

I pick both...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

I own both. I just like nitro more because I like to mess with tuning and starting. There is also something about the sound that I really enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.