Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

what battery should i get?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

what battery should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 10:52 PM
skylark_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what battery should i get?

for my skylark helicopter i need a new battery because the one i have isnt giveing out the needed power. the battery is a 8.4 v 750 mah 7 cell battery and i want something with more power.

do you know what kind of battery i should get and if i need a new charger to charge it, the charger i have came with the skylark and doesnt have the abilitie to charge in different frequencys.

please tell me what battery to buy if you know of one!!!!!

skylark_man
Old 06-03-2003, 01:49 AM
ZIZI
My Feedback: (2)

well since your running a nimh pack...8 cell is the prefered 8 cell pack...although nicds are usually 7 cell (have less resistance and more punch) I would just get a nice 8 cell powerex pack if you wanna use that charger...but if you want ultimate power then a nice 2 cell kokam lithium pack is the way to go...but its pretty expenssive with the charger
Old 06-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Dodgey99

and one more thing. The charger you have, if it is the same as the one that comes with the hummingbird, has no peak setection, so rapidly damages batteries
Old 06-04-2003, 09:25 PM
skylark_man

hay if i did get the 8 cell nihm, how long would i have to charge it with my charger.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:59 AM
staggerwing10
My Feedback: (1)

im not sure but trickle chargers of any sort are not good for batteries in the long run. i just purched li poly cells for my fun picollo. i found a cheap place that sells e tec and kokam packs and chargers at very reasonable prices. http://www.lightflightrc.com . they also sell ac adapters for thier dddc chargers at just above retail. they also have wonderful tech support. i would wholeheatedly recommend them.
cheers
Old 06-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Dodgey99

How long to charge...

It works like this... It depends on the Mah rating of the entire pack and the Mah (Milli-Amp Hour) rating of your charger.

If your pack is 600Mah and your charger is rated at 600Mha then it should take one hour (well, about 40 mintes, as packs never fully deplete). This is known as charging at 1C (1 x cell capacity) - a standard charge.

So, a 600Mah charger will take 2 hours (well, about 1 and 1/2 hours really, same reason) to charge a 1200Mah battery pack.

If you plug your 600Mah charger into a 300Mah pack then it shoudl take half the time (a bit less than half an hour). In this case you are charging your battery at 2C (we are now fast charging).

You could charge a 600Mah pack at 60Mah, this is known as a trickle charge, or C/10. This is good for topping up the individual cells in a pack to their maximum without overheating the pack.