Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3 speed tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
hghflyrjd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 speed tranny install

a friend has a savage 3 speed will any savage 3 speed fit the X 4.6 and is it easy to install and do they work good or cause more problems then its worth
Old 12-31-2008, 01:01 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 3 speed tranny install

The biggest PIA is adjusting the 1-2 shift point once it's intalled. You could get lucky though and it'll just work...

Anybody else here install a 3-speed in a 4.6X?? Have to adjust the 1-2 shift point??

Also, be careful with the grub screw in the brake hub.. If there's too much locktite in there and you can strip it(as there was on my RTR X), and then you're screwed.. So be careful with that..

I liked my 3-speed, but currently have the 2-speed in, and just find that it runs so well the hassle of reinstalling the 3-speed isn't worth it.. I've done it a few times, so it's not that big a deal. But I generally take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix - or mod - it.." approach...

So I don't know, it does bring like a %10 performance increase.. And the sound effect is cool. But depends, if the Sav is running well and you're happy with it, well, do what you want.... Intalling it is not really that bad.. If you're lucky you won't have to adjust the 1-2 shift point - the major hassle of the 3-speed. If not though, well, that is a PIA IMO....
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM
hghflyrjd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i can get one real cheap tht why i was wondering is the adjusment done the same as the current 2 speed
Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get it "real cheap" I'd go for it... I gotta run out, but do a search and you'll see about adjusting the 1-2.. You basically gotta take the rollbar and the whole top of the tranny off, then take the gear cluster out and fiddle around in there to make the adjustment... Kind of horrible the first time you do it, but as with everything it becomes easier the more you do it.. I'd rather do it than shim a diff, if that gives you anything to go by...

Happy new year....