Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
get the Savage XL
54.55%
get the Savage X 4.6
45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

First Nitro, Help me decide :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
DuranSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Nitro, Help me decide :)

Hello. I decided to buy my first monster truck nitro as they look tons of fun. The tuning and upgrading part looks very interesting to me and i think it will be a nice hobby. I cant decide between the Savage X 4.6 and the Savage XL. I like the fact that the XL is bigger and it looks faster on paper but is there much difference?

The XL is also £120 more expensive here in UK. But i am wondering if the XL is £120 better and faster than the X 4.6... for that money i could buy a new pipe or for a bit more a new engine in the future. I can afford either of them but which one do you think i should go for? When i start a new hobby i like to get the good stuff otherwise i'll end up upgrading sooner or later so please dont tell me to get sth cheaper because i'm new. any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
yoster

Default RE: First Nitro, Help me decide :)

I Believe the 4.6 is actually a faster truck out of the box. Put the CEN pipe on the XL though, and it really wakes it up.

If you have the cash, go for the XL. The biggest difference is its better handling. Note though, if you're bashing, the 4.6 tires will last a lot longer than those terra-pins on the XL, and tires aren't cheap.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
DuranSD

ORIGINAL: yoster

I Believe the 4.6 is actually a faster truck out of the box. Put the CEN pipe on the XL though, and it really wakes it up.

If you have the cash, go for the XL. The biggest difference is its better handling. Note though, if you're bashing, the 4.6 tires will last a lot longer than those terra-pins on the XL, and tires aren't cheap.
really? hpi advertises the k5.9 as the more powerful engine. i could get the savage X and the XL chassis conversion set plus a tuned pipe for the same cost of an XL. anybody can reccomend a good pipe for the 4.6 and will i need a new body shell afer i add the XL chassis as its longer?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Yes, but is the XL with a CEN pipe going to outrun an X4.6 with aluminum clutch shoes and an 053 pipe?
Doubtful.

We recommend going with the X 4.6. Aluminum clutch shoes, 1.0 springs, and a pipe would put you about $75 USD, and the truck will be far better than the XL IOHO
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 AM
BudBud

I am of the other side of the field, the 5.9 runs much better on the 086 in my opinion and I have run both. The XL is a longer truck and the X body will fall short. I do not know where these fast wearing Terra Pin stories are coming from, but I have some with over five gallons of fuel on them. Also, they have recently been available for less than 30 dollars shipped for a set of four. The XL has a better steering servo, comes with a hump battery, has heavier axles and dogbones, drives nicer and is easier to jump with. It also has the overdriven three speed. The X 4.6 RTR is the faster truck from the factory. One thing to remember is that XL eats up a lot of space! I say buy the XL, it is a great truck for the added money. I think the F4.6 in the 4.6 RTR is the best of Hpi's engines. A lot of guys are wanting to try the 5.9 in their trucks and the price on new engines removed from new trucks has been holding up pretty good. It would seem to me you would be far better off to buy the XL, sell the 5.9 and get a decent 28 or the n32 LRP 30 for not much difference. If you decide to stick with the 5.9, I would be glad to help you along with some of its weaker points. Glen
Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 AM
DuranSD

Thank you Bud, really appreciate it. Your plan about replacing the 5.9 sounds good but i have absolutely no experience on these stuff. I am going to get the XL and stick with the 5.9 for some time to learn some things and then move on to a better engine and pipe. However, i could put the 086 pipe straight away. will it be an improvement even with the 5.9 engine?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 AM
BudBud

You will find it easier to tune, cooler running and making a lot more top end. The 5.9 does a good job of pushing the truck around.... there is a bunch of good guys here willing to help you with it too. Glen
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
yoster

I haven't run the Terra-pins personally, but I just make the comment based on similar tires. I know for someone new to the hobby, such as DuranSD, he will be doing the usual mix of street show-off burnouts, etc. Most tires such as the terra pins, bow-ties, etc go bald quickly on hard pavement abuse. The X RTR tires aren't built for racing; they've got more rubber so should do him better in those conditions.

Concerning speed, assuming both bone stock, I've heard that the X is slightly faster (not enough to notice, this is based off the magazine review radar. Again I have no personal experience here as I haven't seen the XL run in person). DuranSD- When they say a truck is more powerful, that doesn't always mean faster.

Anyway- I would still go with the XL, for all the reasons that BadBud mentioned. I wish I had. It's just a better overall deal in the improved steering servo alone! Not to mention all the other advantages.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
-SomeGuy-

Another vote for the XL. If its just a question of engine difference, the XL still outweighs the RTR with all the advantages it has over the previous models. Just the added length allows you more room to use different headers, the fuel tank is protected from the shock tower bending inwards and punching a hole in it (been through that enough times [:-]). The beefed up drive train is also very nice etc...

Either learning with the 5.9 or selling it to fund a better engine are both good options.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Although I haven't had my XL out a ton of times yet. I do think that the XL over the X is a good way to go. The factory upgrades make it stronger most of all. And the size differance definately causes it to handle easier... I have also softened my shocks a bit though, not much.

The downside is probably the bodies.. there aren't enough variety out yet. But as well as a center skid, I'm sure they will be out soon enough.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Concerning speed, assuming both bone stock, I've heard that the X is slightly faster (not enough to notice, this is based off the magazine review radar. Again I have no personal experience here as I haven't seen the XL run in person). DuranSD- When they say a truck is more powerful, that doesn't always mean faster.
yeah look at rock crawlers, i'm sure they're way more powerful than say nick case's 163MPH car, but hardly as fast, with a 143:1 FDR, i'ld go XL on this to if you can afford it go for it, i think if the Xl was out when i got mine i think i may've gone with it.... just because of all the great upgrades it has stock....

the lug
Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
DuranSD

thank you all. i will place an order for the XL today. cant wait actually! i think i'll post some pictures when i get it to share my excitement with you