Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Kolibri Nano-Turbine - Video (crappy)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Kolibri Nano-Turbine - Video (crappy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kolibri Nano-Turbine - Video (crappy)

Well, I just received my new Kolibri turbine from the Motherland yesterday. I plumbed all the components together and mounted it in a FunJet for the purposes of getting familiar with the start sequence. My initial attempt to start the turbine, I used PowerMax and a trigger valve. BIG mistake. Since there is no valve or restrictors in the gas line, I was feeding WAAAY too much propane to the turbine. This resulted in failed starting attempts and when it did start, it was a big fireball.

A call to the manufacturer resolved that I need to use the supplied propane valve on a propane/butane mix OTHER than powerMax. A quick trip to REI and I found what I needed.

Cam home, hooked it all up, started first time. Now, this thing starts on the first attempt every try. While there is a proper sequence to the starting, once you have it down, there aren't any problems.

I threw the linked video together real quick just to go over the starting sequence and show you the throttle response. For those unfamiliar with the turbine, it provides ~3lbs of thrust and is 58mm x 125mm.

It's tiny! But it packs a punch. As far as the test bed plane, I have a plane that will be perfect for this little monster and will be getting it ready shortly. With a little help from a trusted friend and expert builder, this thing should be flight ready in a week or so.

Sorry for the quality of the video, (dark, poor lighting, sound is terrible, shadows). I will get a decent one done once the project progresses. Also, I'm not an actor, although I did serve a search warrant at a Holiday Inn last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IkvArA1gI

Oh, by the way, the fuzzy close-up of the GSU terminal is just showing you the RPM's going up to 240,000!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: New Kolibri Nano-Turbine - Video (crappy)

that thing looks like to much fun, I need a couple.

Kevin
Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 AM
SinCityJets

Man I can't wait to get this thing flying...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

You are going to love this little engine! A friend has one in a Multiplex Twinjet & it's fabulous.

Easy starting, reliable, powerful (for it's (tiny) size), this will probably be the turbine you fly the most often.

Almost a quarter of a million RPM, when people hear that the look says it all. [8D] - John.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

So you did get one ! Congratulations ! You'll have a lot of fun with it . I only have 5 flights on my TwinJet so far before the weather here got too wintery . I can hardly wait to play with it some more .

How long did it take to get it from when you first ordered it ?

Here's a short video of my Twinjet !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF4PEYZzAN0

Marc
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 AM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: 747drvr

So you did get one ! Congratulations ! You'll have a lot of fun with it . I only have 5 flights on my TwinJet so far before the weather here got too wintery . I can hardly wait to play with it some more .

How long did it take to get it from when you first ordered it ?

Here's a short video of my Twinjet !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF4PEYZzAN0

Marc

Marc,

You weren't kidding about short!

I've been talking with Martin for about a month now setting up the exclusive dealership. I have received my turbine, and I should have two more in my hands the week after next. As you know, these things are ubelievable! I really can't believe how precise these are. You hold it in your hand and it is like a feather, then you light it off and it turns in to a piece of technical marvel.

I'm impressed and can't wait to put it in the air! Once I do, I'll be sure to get some video. There are some great videos of this thing in action, but they are mostly on the foamies and mostly in German. I will probably mount it on a BobCat 25 initially.

I really want to put it in Eflite's new BAE Hawk, but that will take a little modification. Can't wait!

Chad
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
SpiderJets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Well, I just received my new Kolibri turbine from the Motherland yesterday. I plumbed all the components together and mounted it in a FunJet for the purposes of getting familiar with the start sequence. My initial attempt to start the turbine, I used PowerMax and a trigger valve. BIG mistake. Since there is no valve or restrictors in the gas line, I was feeding WAAAY too much propane to the turbine. This resulted in failed starting attempts and when it did start, it was a big fireball.

A call to the manufacturer resolved that I need to use the supplied propane valve on a propane/butane mix OTHER than powerMax. A quick trip to REI and I found what I needed.
Chad,

I had problems also with gas starts in cold weather ; if the (external) gas container is too small and you do repeated starts, the gas pressure drops to a too low level inside the container and/or simply freezes the gas injectors inside the turbine, and as a result the kero injection flames out the turbine. Some gas brands work better than others, that is correct. I have three Kolibris now and they all have their own "character" and "preference".

For your start-up, try to reduce the gas flow on start-up some more, letting it spit flames through the back cone means overheating the rear ball bearing and hence a reduced BB lifetime. The more gentle you let it climb to its idle RPM of 99.000 while keeping temp as low as possible, the better.

I would also recommend to try the Autostart Kolibri version ; I wouldn't switch back to manual anymore, not only for easier & hassle-free starts and cooldowns, but also because you can install these motors much easier inside any fuselage. If not now, then surely for future use.

You can also make yourself a "full" autostart version with a small onboard propane tank (like common these days) BUT you must also put a manual regulator valve in between to control the pressure better when the gas valve opens (in brass, like used for retracts).

For landing, despite the auto cool down sequence, I prefer to go very high and switch off the turbine. The following glide will cool the turbine very well. Of course, with a plane like the Falcon25, I prefer to land with idle RPM.

Best Regards, and good luck with the sales,
Nicolas.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Duncan

they must be addictive turbines as depite keeping my eyes peeled for over a year, I've not seen a secondhand one for sale yet!!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Im sure the powermax will work fine if you turn the can upside down.

Thats how we start our old wren 44
Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
SinCityJets

Nicolas,

Thanks for the info. Fortunately in Vegas, we do not have to worry too much about the propane getting too cold (most of the time)

As far as the full autostart, I would LOVE to have one, the only problem is the little difference of almost 500 Euros!! [X(] For 500 Euros, I'll walk around with my 12v blower

I agree with you on the cool downs, I will probably have to keep the turbine at idle for the landing, so I'll be quick to get out there and cool it down. I'll just have to see how the landings are with the little 25.

Ronnie,

You are probably right about turning the powermax upside down. The only problem is the trigger valve I use let WAAAAAY to much gas out at a time. THe valve supplied with the turbine lets you just barely crack it open. There are no restictors or valves for the gas, so I like have a valve that I can use to regulate the flow. WIth that being said, this other gas is damn expensive, and I may just have to find a way to use the powermax.....or green propane cans.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

Did I see you will be the US distributor and stock turbines? WHMC
Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

You are going to love this little engine! A friend has one in a Multiplex Twinjet & it's fabulous.

Easy starting, reliable, powerful (for it's (tiny) size), this will probably be the turbine you fly the most often.

Almost a quarter of a million RPM, when people hear that the look says it all. [8D] - John.
Hey John,

Does it sounds doable now to have 6 puller and 4 pusher hooked with with couple of these babies on OB nacelles of D and J versions for true realism!!!, Juss wondering the possibilities.....

Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: WHMC

WHMC,

Yes, that is correct.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Chad
Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: WHMC

WHMC,

Yes, that is correct.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Chad
Price and delivery?

Dave
Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
SinCityJets

Dave,

They will be $3,000 delivered to you. That covers all international shipping/insurance fees and the import duties. This also covers the shipping charges to you.

I have two left available that are coming in next week. One has already been taken. First come first served of course.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chad
Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats great a US dealer. My friend got one and I still have not seen it... I have been wanting one for a long time but that US dollar is just too week... Cant wait to see it fly. I might come to Las Vegas just to see....

David
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 AM
SinCityJets

David,

They're expensive, no doubt. But, I don't have any turbine toys that aren't. This is definitely not something you'll "need", but it will be a blast!

Chad
Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey John,

Does it sounds doable now to have 6 puller and 4 pusher hooked with with couple of these babies on OB nacelles of D and J versions for true realism!!!, Juss wondering the possibilities.....
Possible, but it would be a BIG model. 4 of these little suckers would give 12 pounds of thrust plus the props.

What was that? You would be paying for them? - John.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 AM
SpiderJets

David,

They're expensive, no doubt. But, I don't have any turbine toys that aren't. This is definitely not something you'll "need", but it will be a blast!

Chad
Don't forget that your "jet kit" is costing 60 US$, and the servos less than that. The whole average plane in this nano size class is less than 300$ without the turbine....
And the fun... is incomparable !

And... you do great savings in fuel !

Nicolas.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 AM
SinCityJets

You know, that's true too. While the turbine is the same price as most any other good size turbine, the cost of your airframe will be significantly less....and probably just as fast, and possibly even more fun...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Duncan

Do you know if the prices on his website are correct? they are currently stating around £2500 but $3000 is around £2000. so does this mean you are selling them cheaper than he is?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Hey John,

Possible, but it would be a BIG model. 4 of these little suckers would give 12 pounds of thrust plus the props.

What was that? You would be paying for them? - John.
Well John on second thought with those high 4 digit numbers $$$$ i'll say EDF is still economical way to do it..hehe, Damn these little guys are expansive!..

Unless you would be paying for them..hehe
Old 01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: Slam_Dunc

Do you know if the prices on his website are correct? they are currently stating around £2500 but $3000 is around £2000. so does this mean you are selling them cheaper than he is?
Of course, everything from the USA should be cheaper, as they aren't charging our common European VAT !!! (Here in Belgium it is 21% !!! In Germany 19% !!!)
Suppose you buy it from a US dealer, you'll pay on arrival a fix customs fee, plus eventually some % import duties, and on top of that the mentioned VAT (not even talking about the shipping charges).
You'll end up easily paying for an extra 25%... Unless....
Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

i'll say EDF is still economical way to do it..hehe, Damn these little guys are expansive!..

Unless you would be paying for them..hehe

Props4ever,

Errr... ? EDF ? I thought you are Props For Ever ?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Duncan

Spider LOL fair point, I guess I'll have to wait to see if a secondhand one comes up or maybe a trip to the USA and sneak one back in my luggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.