Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Heat Cycling LRP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
smeyers2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Cycling LRP

I'm going to heat cycle my new LRP Saturday inside the garage at work. I'm assuming I need to lean it out to get the temp up around 200. Anyone have a rough idea of how much to crank the screw in to accomplish that. I won't be able to throttle it up to check for smoke, so I'm kinda out in the dark on this one.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM
IvanG
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Heat Cycling LRP

You definetely dont want to lean it out!!!

Wrap the head in tin foil to get your temps up !

Here's a good read by BudBud this should work just fine for your lrp

"I use the heat cycle method or a version of it. The Picco s come with tremendous pinch and can be a real pain to start, especially when it is cold outside. You will want a heat gun to warm the head with. Lately I have been blocking the truck up on a 50 caliber ammocan and letting the wheels hang. Heat the head by aiming the heat gun right down the center at the glow plug. They come from the factory pig rich on fuel and very easy to flood. I just prime until it is almost in the carburetor by pressurizing the fuel line. Put the glow charger on and let it draw the fuel. Once started, with the radio and rx off, I use the servo to set up a medium speed, not idling, not racing and let it run. Normally the pinch and lack of air flow will allow it to reach 250-260 without wrapping the head. If not, I lean it a little and grab the tires on one side, so it has to drive the differential gears. If that is not enough load, I use a foam block and trap it between the front tires and the side of my pickup box... once I get it warmed up, I will either put a fan on it, take off the load, and or idle down some to get the temperature back under 200, I go through this three or four times and usually burn a quart of fuel in the process. Then I turn the radio on and get a decent idle setting, one fast enough to keep the clutches engaged a little and start driving and tuning. I leave it on the rich side for the first quart or so and drive it like I stole it. No low speed circles or slow idle for X number of tanks... it should be rich enough that it always blows smoke and I run them lean enough that they can reach a fairly high rpm. I just put it to work right away and if nothing breaks or dies, I might run a full gallon of fuel through without ever shutting it off. Be careful about running without a roll cage or body as I have flipped them over backwards and scarred new heads during break in runs more than once. Even pig rich and tightly pinched, they have a lot of punch. It will take up to two gallons to really see the power really start to roll on. I watch the temperatures pretty closely through that first gallon, but after you have been around the Picco for a while, you can hear the change in the exhaust note as they get hot. Hot is normally an air leak, I just seal all of mine at the normal trouble spots before ever starting them."
Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Sugafree

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=397
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
smeyers2

Thanks all... I printed all the info... Will give it a try this weekend. Take care... Have an awesome weekend all !