Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7 & AUX 2 channel

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 & AUX 2 channel

I have a DX7 and am trying to get a FlyCamOne2 connected to an extra ch (AUX2), in order to rotate the camera's lens (straight ahead/45* dn/90* dn). The DX7 'Flap Mix' switch has the 3-position switch needed, but I'm not sure how to program the DX7 to do this.

I'm using the 'Gear' ch to trigger the camera shutter, and 'AUX1' is used for flaperon. All other ch's are being used.
So, I'm left with 'AUX2' as my remaining available ch on the reciever.

This is on a Mini Ultra-Stick, with an AR7000 reciever.

How do I program the DX7 to use AUX2 to do what I want?
Suggestions please?

Jim L.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
a1pcfixer

Default RE: DX7 & AUX 2 channel

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

I have a DX7 and am trying to get a FlyCamOne2 connected to an extra ch (AUX2), in order to rotate the camera's lens (straight ahead/45* dn/90* dn). The DX7 'Flap Mix' switch has the 3-position switch needed, but I'm not sure how to program the DX7 to do this.

I'm using the 'Gear' ch to trigger the camera shutter, and 'AUX1' is used for flaperon. All other ch's are being used.
So, I'm left with 'AUX2' as my remaining available ch on the reciever.

This is on a Mini Ultra-Stick, with an AR7000 reciever.

How do I program the DX7 to use AUX2 to do what I want?
Suggestions please?

Jim L.
Reply from HH;

> Just plug the servo into AUX 2 and set the travel adjust where you want
> it. You would not be able to control the servo between the two points
> but it would work from side to side.
>
> Thanks,
> Kory
> Product Support Team Member

That at least gets me some control over pointing the FlyCamOne2 lens.
I can now (remotely) control camera lens angle by 2 positions, using the DX7 AUX2 switch.

Jim L.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM
widgeon

I have an dx7 tx and want to bind it to a 2.4g e-sky 4in one in the lamav4 heli. can this be done? If so, how? Widgeon
Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the E-Sky compatible with the Spektrum radio?

The 2.4 Rx and the 2.4 Tx must be the same brand. If you use JR/Spektrum they are the same. If you use Spektrum modules in another Tx, the Rx still needs to be JR/Spektrum. Also true with Futaba 2.4 module or XPS 2.4 module.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 PM
widgeon

Rich, thanks for the shoutout. I had a feeling that was the case. Jack(widgeon)
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: widgeon

I have an dx7 tx and want to bind it to a 2.4g e-sky 4in one in the lamav4 heli. can this be done? If so, how? Widgeon
What has THAT to do with THIS subject (DX7 & AUX 2 channel)???

Go start a new thread with YOUR subject!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM
BuschBarber

Thanks!! I imagine that at some point there will be 3rd party Rx's for any brand Tx.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

Jim,

I am outfitting a Mini-Ultra Stick the same exact way you are, but without the Cam. My question to you is what kind/size of Rx battery are you using. The mini-stick I bought has a 4.8V 720mah nicd already in it. I am planning on using an AR7000 Rx in the mini-stick with my DX7 Tx. Do I need to go to a 6V Rx pack or is this small 4.8V pack sufficient. I am concerned about weight with the 6 Volt battery, or is this something that I shouldn't be concerned about? I'm mostly curious what your using in yours. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
BuschBarber

Use a 2cell LiPo. I use them in all my aircraft whether they are Electric, Gas, Glow, or Turbine.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 PM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

Rick,

I am not familiar using lipos in aircraft for powering the Rx's. Can you give me any information regarding them and possible one's to use in 40-60 size aircraft. Thanks for the input!

Trent
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 PM
BuschBarber

The prices on LiPo's are dropping rapidly. Also, the ability to charge at higher rates higher than 2C (that means two times their rated capacity) means that they can be charged in a much shorter time than in the past. Also, because the newer LiPos can deliver a higher Current Draw ( up from 20C to 50C) you can use a smaller, lighter battery to power your Rx.

There are many vendors of LiPo batteries. Try HobbyKing.com for some extraordinary prices. You can also go to TBM.com, TrueRC.com and a number of other places. Hobby King sells Zippy, Turnigy, and LightPower LiPos. There is Thunderpower, Fromeco, and many others.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: tmenold

Jim,

I am outfitting a Mini-Ultra Stick the same exact way you are, but without the Cam. My question to you is what kind/size of Rx battery are you using. The mini-stick I bought has a 4.8V 720mah nicd already in it. I am planning on using an AR7000 Rx in the mini-stick with my DX7 Tx. Do I need to go to a 6V Rx pack or is this small 4.8V pack sufficient. I am concerned about weight with the 6 Volt battery, or is this something that I shouldn't be concerned about? I'm mostly curious what your using in yours. Thanks!
I set up mine as brushless with a 3-cell LiPo, so my servos/reciever only see 4.8v.(MAX-6.0v.) Without a brushless ESC, you'll need some means of dropping the voltage so your servos/reciever don't see anything over 6.0v. Even a 2-cell LiPo puts out 7.2v. fully charged!

I'm using a 2200mAh 3-cell LiPo, and vertical is unlimited!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM
goehrle

Returning to the orginal question, I too am having a simialr problem.

In my case, I am attemping to use the Aux 2 channel to drive flaps. I am using Flaperon
so I can get differential in my alierons (only way IS to use Flaperon) but I have regular
flaps as well and wanted to use Aux 2 and its switch to drive them to a preset drop.
Unfortunately when the switch is changed to go almost all the way down and the Travel Adjust is
is basicaly not existant. The "+" is 100% while the "-" is 0% and if is increased it drives in the wrong
direction and if decreased it does not have enough to raise them significantly.

I must be missing something.

Flap System with flaperon enable only changes the ailerons with its settings so it does not appear
the way to go either.

Gary
Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 PM
BuschBarber

The Flapperon mix is used to mix the Right Aileron Ch2 with the Left Aileron on Ch6 (Flap Channel). Using this program, your Ailerons are also your Flaps. You can also use the Flapperon mix to achieve Differential Ailerons, but not if your Flaps and Ailerons are a separate pair of control surfaces, then you would use one of the Programmable Mixers to mix the Master Channel, Right Aileron Ch2, with the Slave Channel, Left Aileron, on a free channel such as Ch5 or Ch7, to get Differential Ailerons, for example.

The Flap System is designed to put the Flap Ch6 on the three position Flap Switch.

Most of the JR/Spektrum radios default to this.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
goehrle

I can not say I think the default is aiding in customer satisfaction.

I will try mixing in Mix 6 as I am using it now for ailerons and Aux 2 per the
"Dual Ailerons with Flaps" on the Spektrum site.

Thanks

Gary
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM
BuschBarber

I did see another thread that talked about the DX7 and Dual Ailerons with Flaps. If Horizon has posted a procedure for this, they should know the programming options better than I do.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 AM
goehrle

I used the set up on http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm under
"Dual Ailerons WITH Flaps" where the right aileron is set up under Travel Adjust and
then compensated for the effect on the left aileron using the Mix 6 as the write up suggest.

What I found is the adjustments in the Mix are not wide enough to fully compensate for the
adverse effects. Especially in the down of the left aileron. Since I am trimming a fun flier it
will not have that great effect or so I hope.

Just seems like there should be an easier way .

Gary
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 AM
BuschBarber

I looked at the Dual Aileron with Flaps procedure. It is basically the same procedure I would use. Be sure to set Servo Direction before you set Subtrim or Subtrim could be in the wrong direction. Setting Aux2 to Inh will ensure that it only responds to the Aileron stick. Setting the Aux 2 Trim to Inh disables the Aux 2 switch so if it is hit by mistake, it will not affect your Aileron Trim.

For Ailerons, set the Aileron Sticks and Aileron Trim to Neutral with no Subtrim. Install the Servo Arms as close to 90deg as possible. Now use a small amount of SubTrim to move the Servo Arm to 90deg as possible. If you use too much SubTrim, it takes away from the total throw of the servo.

Travel Adjust is used to Match each Aileron for Up and Down Throw. Some people like to set Travel Adjust to the Max (150%) and then back off a little for each Aileron until both Ailerons match. Be sure to do this for both the Aileron channel and the Aux 2 channel.

When you are talking about Adverse Affects, do you mean the Elevator Coupling (Pitch Up or Pitch Down) when you deploy Flaps? That is adjusted in the Flap System.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 AM
goehrle

WRT to the Adverse comment, I was refering to the affect that turing the right aileron has on the left
in regard to inseting differential I have done {approximtely} what you stated above.

Without differential active, when I set my Travel on the right aileron the opposite is reflected in the
left aileron. My less down in the right is less up in the left vis-a-versa. This can not be totaly taken out
by adjusting the "rate" in the Prog. Mix. It is close but not as effective as with a differential setting done
via the program. But as I stated it is a fun flyer for me and not a competitive aerobatic performance I am
looking for. However, I was planning on using the same setup on a 1/4 scale Cub with floats where differential
will impact the turing performance less of a yawing turn.

Gary.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM
BuschBarber

Sometimes you run across these kinds of problems and you find that the next higher end model Tx has the programming that eliminates the problem. It is not so obvious when you first decided what model Tx to buy.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM
snuts

Rich you hit that right on the spot. A DX7 is only a middle of the road transmitter, yet more then enough for most modellers.

As for the original poster. Try to assign channel 5 to your Aux switch (3 pos). For your 0 - 45* - 90* camera angle. After that assign the 7th cannel to the gear switch.

Hope this helps.

-Snuts-