Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Non Return Air Fill Valves - £1.00

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Non Return Air Fill Valves - £1.00

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:44 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non Return Air Fill Valves - £1.00

I have several air retracts on various planes and I have to say I am fed up with the fill valve leaking.

You can now spend over £20.00 for a simple non return valve and I think this is unacceptable. I have used the chinese ones that come with many retracts and I am fed up with them leaking.

I would therefore share with you all the following very cheap....... Can be free ! excellent alternative. This is not my idea I learnt it of a far better modeler than me.....

All you do is take a trip to you local car tyre firm and ask for some car tyre valves for tubeless tyres....... I am given them free when I get new tyres and I usually come away with a small handfull but at most you will be charged £1 each....... Motorbike ones are nice as they are shorter.

Then just strip off the rubber.......... Solder a nipple into the end of them....... I remove the inner valve to do this...... and there you go a very reliable non return fill valve...... It has the added benefit that it will fit most of our puup ends.

I recon if it is good enough for a car tyre it is good enough for our jets

Nice and cheap and very reliable

Dennis Norman
Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Non Return Air Fill Valves - £1.00

Sounds like a neat idea. Do you have any before and after photos of the unit?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

I was going to take a pic but the whole process is so simple took about 10 mins.

Just salvage a nipple from any faied air unit or a metal tee piece make it fit the end of the tyre valve buy crushing it a little with plyers. Solder in, Test and away you go.

Far better than any valve you can buy in our hobby IMHO

Here is a pic of my Falcon 120 with the wheels Dowh which was the motivation to get the valve sorted

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91756.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1135954  
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 AM
3d flip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-
Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 AM
3d flip

[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77115.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1135973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59674.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1135974  
Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Hannibal_Lecter

Is sufficient a simple tin soldering?
Regards
Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 AM
3d flip

Silver solder or tin solder should work. Just test it be for you fit to model.

These valves work and are very reliable
Old 02-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Tire valves are for 30 psig and retrcts valves are for 100 psig.

Isn't there any problem with overpressuring?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 AM
3d flip

I have seen tire valves used a 150psi with out any problems
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

I just use ordinary electrical solder and the psi is fine...... I have seen these used on many models and they work very well

Dennis
Old 02-15-2009, 02:28 PM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Guillermo Ibanez

Tire valves are for 30 psig and retrcts valves are for 100 psig.

Isn't there any problem with overpressuring?
10-speed bike tires ( the narrow ones) get pumped up to 95 psi. Same valve stem. Also, my 30 gallon air compressor moisture trap started leaking so I went to Autozone and bought a package of valve stem "valves", (I think it's called a schrader valve) and used that....fixed the leak... tank pumps up to 150 psi. Been working for over a year now.

Les
Old 02-15-2009, 02:43 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Idea,

I am going to have to try this..

David
Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

OKThanks
Old 02-15-2009, 04:30 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Well my valve has been holding all day with over 100 psi behind it...... That will do for me............ Someone needs to let BVM know !

http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupsto...?pc=6335&Desc=

Oh and I am sure that was £19.99 before the vat reduced to 15 % from 17.5 % ! so who got that 2.5 % not the chancellor or the Customer ! lol

With the price of things at the moment we all need to save a quid or two

BTW Quid = £1 for you lot over the pond.

Anyone got any other simple money saving ideas....... Other than don't get into jets lol

Dennis
Old 02-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

No Dennis we kept the 2.5%! It helped off set the shift in dollar price from 2-1 right down to 1.3-1. Not to mention the rise in shipping costs.
Enjoy your valves. They look very..... interesting!
Luckily for me, and even more so BVM there are allot of guys out there that like the fit and forget peace of mind that a great valve such as the BVM one offers them. After all a £20.00 outlay to protect an investment of thousands is considered wise spending by some ( but not al)l, and thats what makes this hobby so diverse I guess.
Regards Al
Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Cool idea Dennis.

I dont like BVM valves myself, i saw BVM valves leaking before.
i personally use Festo's which are aluminum and have a quick disconnect - always worked perfect so far in many models.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

a £20.00 outlay to protect an investment of thousands
Ahhh, that old line again! Every time some new (usually expensive) gadget comes on the market for turbines out rolls the same story.

The only thing bad about bigplumbs' valve? I didn't think about it before buying a Robart one! I have a heap of old bike tubes I use for lashing down models & have been throwing the valve stems away. - John.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ali

No Dennis we kept the 2.5%! It helped off set the shift in dollar price from 2-1 right down to 1.3-1. Not to mention the rise in shipping costs.
Enjoy your valves. They look very..... interesting!
Luckily for me, and even more so BVM there are allot of guys out there that like the fit and forget peace of mind that a great valve such as the BVM one offers them. After all a £20.00 outlay to protect an investment of thousands is considered wise spending by some ( but not al)l, and thats what makes this hobby so diverse I guess.
Regards Al
Well the 2.5 % was supposed to be passed onto the customer. Not kept by the shops..... Didn't see prices come down very quick when the dollar shifted the other way. That comment is just smoke and mirrors the fact is many shops simply kept the 2.5 % for themselves. I guess the chancellor should have guessed this.

Retailers need to remember that their income generally comes from us modelers.

As for the car valve. I have seen them in many models and indeed many cars and I and others I know have not had a failure yet. The same is not true of the BVM Style valve.

Oh and as for protecting our jets...... The valves in car tyres protect millions of peoples lives so I will leave it to others to guess which one is probably made to the higher standard.

£19.99 for a simple valve is just madness

Regards

Dennis
Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Dennis,
Feel free any time you like to pop in, and I will happily run you through our buying price, and selling price of items such as this valve. I would be happy to spend as long as it takes to work through with you how much is made now on each valve and how much was made 6 months ago one. No smoke, no mirrors. Just simple business.
Oh I am very very aware where my income stems from, and I am very grateful that quite a substantial amount of my customers like to own, and enjoy to buy products such as the BVM valve. Remember the choice is theirs! The fact that I have just placed yet another order for 50 of them shows to me that some people ( like myself ) are happy to buy a simple reliable, ready made valve.
The thought of having to make a valve up out of car parts, and solder items together may seem like madness to some. Just as it seems like madness to you to spend £19.99 on a valve. Me??? I can see the attraction in either way, but wont be fitting anything other than BVM valves to my models.
Regards Al
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Just salvage a nipple from any faied air unit or a metal tee piece make it fit the end of the tyre valve buy crushing it a little with plyers. Solder in, Test and away you go.

Far better than any valve you can buy in our hobby IMHO

Tempting?????? but since i do not have any failed air units as i use BVM gear i will have to stick with the reliable, good quality BVM valves.

BVM has a superb reputation for a reason . . . . . great products!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

I have several air retracts on various planes and I have to say I am fed up with the fill valve leaking.

You can now spend over £20.00 for a simple non return valve and I think this is unacceptable. I have used the chinese ones that come with many retracts and I am fed up with them leaking.

I would therefore share with you all the following very cheap....... Can be free ! excellent alternative. This is not my idea I learnt it of a far better modeler than me.....

All you do is take a trip to you local car tyre firm and ask for some car tyre valves for tubeless tyres....... I am given them free when I get new tyres and I usually come away with a small handfull but at most you will be charged £1 each....... Motorbike ones are nice as they are shorter.

Then just strip off the rubber.......... Solder a nipple into the end of them....... I remove the inner valve to do this...... and there you go a very reliable non return fill valve...... It has the added benefit that it will fit most of our puup ends.

I recon if it is good enough for a car tyre it is good enough for our jets

Nice and cheap and very reliable

Dennis Norman
how often do you fill your car tyre?

most common problem on leaking valves is that there is some debree on the rubber oring that seals the filling valve.
a tip what you can do , is to release air from the valve so the debree comes out again.
you will get the same troubles on a part that comes fromn a car tyre.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I have used this exact valve style on my hostpot for 6 years and it still works fine. FYI these type of valves are used on hydraulic accumulators that are charged with nitrogen up to 1800 psi. so no worries about holding pressure.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Jamie C
Tempting?????? but since i do not have any failed air units as i use BVM gear i will have to stick with the reliable, good quality BVM valves.

BVM has a superb reputation for a reason . . . . . great products!
I too am a fan of BVM for the great quality of most of their products. The BVM air valve, and the Smoothstop though, are about the only 2 BVM items I refuse to ever use again due to my repeated experiences of inconsistent behaviour and leaks from both. I have converted all my equipment to use Clippard valves instead. They are a little bit larger, but I've never had one leak yet – and even if one did go bad they are so cheap that you could replace them on a regular basis without feeling any pain.

http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...asp?sku=MQC-V3 for $1.90 (or http://www.clippard.com/store/displa....asp?sku=MQC-3 if you want the chuck with it).

A handy benefit of these valves is that the threaded end lets you screw in all manner of connectors – from http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...ku=11752-2-PKG for a simngle barb for 'regular' air line, to http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...ku=11752-4-PKG
for larger (e.g. 4mm) line, or http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...ku=XT2-202-PKG for a built-in T, or a gazillion other types inclusing swivel connectors etc.

Gordon
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
SinCityJets

Gordon,

Do you have to use their supplied "chuck" to fill the valve, or can you just use a regular tire inflator connector?

Chad
Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Gordon,

Do you have to use their supplied "chuck" to fill the valve, or can you just use a regular tire inflator connector?

Chad
Not sure. I always use their chuck - I don't like the conventional connector because engaging and freeing the 'lock' puts on a sideways load that can do damage when transmitted to surrounding parts. If you like, once I get my garage back in some sembleance of order (everything got moved out for my painting session on Friday) I can find a spare and test it without the chuck.

Gordon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.