Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Anyone have final thoughts on the 4pk?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Anyone have final thoughts on the 4pk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
racer/flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have final thoughts on the 4pk?

I'll be racing a Baja 5b SS this year, and to do so I want the best radio available. I need to install a kill-switch to be on the safe side, so I need a radio with atleast 3 channels. I was using an MX3 FM, but have been having range issues. I have been looking into a 4pk, and have heard of heat issues and defects in the software. If I drop $500 for a radio, I plan on it being my only radio for years to come, and setting up all of my models to this system.

What is the the final verdict of this radio? Have the problems been worked out in the later shipments?

I would hate to spend this type of money on a radio and end up having problems. I would appreciate any advice from people who own this radio, and ones who have recently bought this, just incase some of the flaws have been worked out.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm wanting the latest information to determine if this radio is worth the cash. Thanks again.
racer/flyer
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
ket2175

Default RE: Anyone have final thoughts on the 4pk?

ORIGINAL: racer/flyer

I'll be racing a Baja 5b SS this year, and to do so I want the best radio available. I need to install a kill-switch to be on the safe side, so I need a radio with atleast 3 channels. I was using an MX3 FM, but have been having range issues. I have been looking into a 4pk, and have heard of heat issues and defects in the software. If I drop $500 for a radio, I plan on it being my only radio for years to come, and setting up all of my models to this system.

What is the the final verdict of this radio? Have the problems been worked out in the later shipments?

I would hate to spend this type of money on a radio and end up having problems. I would appreciate any advice from people who own this radio, and ones who have recently bought this, just incase some of the flaws have been worked out.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm wanting the latest information to determine if this radio is worth the cash. Thanks again.
racer/flyer
For me I think for a off road buggy or truggy or even monster truck, we do not need such a high end transmitter for it. I am playing off road, and I just sold away my 4pk. And change to a DX3S instead, as for 4pk there are too many function as we seldom use at all. Unless you are playing a on road gp car.

And the 4pk use a 1700mah ni mh batt pack, and I ask you how long can a 1700mah batt pack last. the most angry part is when you are playing half way and your 4pk start making noise. Warning say low batt.

As for DX3S it use 4 AA size batt that all. you can bring as many spare batt as you like. It also have a 40 memory car list , where the hell ,got people have 40 rc car. Think that is too much, 10 is more than enough.

Not only that DX3S come with 2 (3 channel receiver) as for 4pk come with a 4 channel receiver. Where the hell do we need 4 channel for off road car. 2 channel or 3 channel is more than enough. Cause if you want to use it for playing plane the channel support is not enough.

So dont waste the $$ like me , in the end sold it.

Think carefully when buying, $$ dont come easily.

Hope all this help.

Cheers
Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
racer/flyer

Thanks for your point-of-view. I too thought it was pathetic that the battery was only 1700 mah, kind-of a joke, huh. They say it will last a whole 2 hours, but that doesn't impress me. I use rechargeable AA batteries that do alright, and I was hoping to use these. Do you have to use the included pack to power the radio? If so, I thought I could wire up some of my rechargeable AA's in the same configuration. You guys think this would work alright? Thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:07 AM
ket2175

ORIGINAL: racer/flyer

Thanks for your point-of-view. I too thought it was pathetic that the battery was only 1700 mah, kind-of a joke, huh. They say it will last a whole 2 hours, but that doesn't impress me. I use rechargeable AA batteries that do alright, and I was hoping to use these. Do you have to use the included pack to power the radio? If so, I thought I could wire up some of my rechargeable AA's in the same configuration. You guys think this would work alright? Thanks.

Hi sorry for the late reply, dont think the AA batt fix in. As the 4pk batt pack size dont look like AA batt size. Is a bit shorter than AA batt.

Funny no know what size is that, or maybe is a homemade batt from Futaba.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 AM
racer/flyer

I think it's all a sells gimmick, just to get your money. If you can't buy a replacement with a higher mah, you would be forced to buy multiple stock packs. My car runs anywhere from 40 min. to an hour, so I would only get 2 runs per transmitter charge. For a radio of this caliper, (and price[X(]), it should come stock with a lipo, which I've heard can't even be used in this system as an upgrade.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten more replies, at least from people who have wondered the same thing. Maybe some people just have better sense than to spend this much money on a radio, but I'm still interested in it.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Dan H

I have the 4PK. It is extremely expensive. I only wished I waited 2 weeks to get mines, since they are running a promotion right now for an extra free 603FS receiver!

Anyways, back to the main topic. There have been teething issues with the first few batches of 4PK's. Lately, I have not heard of any new ones. Frankly, the fact that this radio had issues in the past surprised me, since Futaba has always offered the highest quality radios on the market. They still do have relatively good customer service, so any issues with the 4PK could be taken up to them.

General consensus is the stock NIMH battery pack lasts about 2 hours. Trinity makes a 2200mah NIMH pack right now for only $20-25, so its not too big of a deal. I plan on picking one up so I can have all day fun with my Baja if I wanted to. Hmm...what else...the radio outer body feels a bit like cheap, thin plastic to keep weight low. So don't drop it! With that said, it is probably the best car radio currently on the market and its feature list is endless. It was expensive but even though I buy and sell cars quickly, I tend to keep my radios around a LOT longer (I still use my Hitec Lynx 3D for my other RC's). Since I keep my radios long and wanted to step up to 2.4ghz technology, I went ahead and bought the best....the 4PK!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
ket2175

Indeed 4pk is very good transmitter, it has lot of function that others dont have. But for a back yard basher like me think DX3S is more than enough for me.

I am very happy with my DX3S, so far so good.