Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Steering servo glitch on 2.4ghz

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
spiftacu1ar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering servo glitch on 2.4ghz

So, basically, I just set up my new burhsless set up, with the ESC right behond the front tower, and the reciever behind the rear tower. SO, basically, there is a huge space between the antenna and power lines. WHat I am noticing is that the throttle does not glitch at all, but as I start to go forward or backwards, the steering servo starts going side to side rapidly. It is a JR DS8711 (not sure if thats the right model number, but it is the 400oz/in one.), I am able to recreate the problem when holding the truck in my hand (by the roll bar), and accelerating. WHen I thorttle forward, the steering starts goign from side to side rapdily, while the throttle reamins smooth (so its not an antenna problem, i think). As soon as I let go of the throttle, servo response goes back to normal. I am not sure what the problem is. Coud a really long servo wire cause this? I needed an extension wire, but the only one I had was 3 feet long (pwm extension cord we use on my robotics team, has the same connectors as servo cables). I didn't cut it to length, but I didn't think it would matter. Anybody have any ideas what could cause the glitching?

Also, it was wet out (it was raining earlier today and last niught), and I haven;t water proofed anything. When I was running nitro, it wasn't a problem though, and I hadn't waterproofed then either. I am running a nomadio radio system, so basically FASST, not spektrum.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
KILL--ROY

Default RE: Steering servo glitch on 2.4ghz

Bad servo, put a new one in, that should solve the problem.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
3-172IN MTN

I have the same JR servo, two of them actually and I know that JR has a 3 year warranty. If there is an issue with it then they might be will to replace it with no issues.

Otherwise it is a great servo. I can almost sit on my truck and still turn the wheels.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
spiftacu1ar

99% sure its not a bad servo. It works perfectly in a nitro envirnoment, as well as when the brushless is not running. Also, its $120, i'm not just gonna chuck it, lol. Given the fact that it ONLY spazzes when the brushless motor runs, there has to be some sort of interference somewhere, right? If more people think its the servo, I may send it to JR for replacement. Until then, I would like to see other peoples ideas.

I am not going to accept that a 3 month old, $120 servo went bad all of the sudden when it saw that brushless monster. That tower pro might go "MOMMY, MOMMY, there is a huge monster next to me", but I think the JR would be more like "OOh la la, Now there is some power that can match my strength, hahaha" lol, jk, but srsly.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
tizer33

I think i would take the 3 foot long extension out of the loop as thats gotta be picking up some interference.
Try it with the servo plugged direct to receiver then run up the motor maybe?

Tim.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:08 PM
MattVid
My Feedback: (1)

I am a computer engineer and work with EMC (electro magnetic compatibility) stuff with work all the time. A super long cable of any sort basically just acts as an antenna. Any wire is an antenna, a longer wire is just a better antenna.

One thing you could try is shortening the servo wire, but that might cause damage, and be more difficult. Another thing you could try is shielding the cable. Basically wrap it in some metal something to shield it from outside noise. You could do this with tin foil, copper tape, or the best thing would be some shielded wire cable. But it could be worth a shot. Motors can cause some serious noise on cables sometimes, we see it all the time at work.

If you could actually scope the line and see what the signal is doing, you could see what the issue is for sure. But shielding that cable, or shortening it should help. Honestly, I would try to shield it before you start cutting up your servo wires.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
ArancioC5

Show me a picture of your wiring set up that is crystal clear and I'll most likely tell you the problem. The Nomadio tranciever should be away from everything. To minimize the long wires, it is a good idea to braid them so you can organize them with zip ties. I would also check your nomadio settings to see what you have stored and saved.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 PM
spiftacu1ar

Sorry it took so long to reply, I had midterms this past week, and have not been checking regularly. Anyhow, I ordered some 6" hitec brand extensions from tower hobbies. That should be enough for me to get from the servo to the reciever, and from the ESC to the reciever. I am gonna ditch the long cables I am usign now. Hopefully that will help. Also, I have the wires from the esc to motor braided already, It is not possible to braid only two wires, so I did not braid the battery wires. Also, it is difficult to braid the serov cables considering that you have to braid it before the connectors are peut on, and I don't want to undo the factory made connections, which are probably better than I could do on my own. As I said, the reciever is as far as possible from the high amp lines. The ESC is directly behind the front shcok tower. THe motor is in front of the tranny, so right behind the ESC. then comes the tranny, and behind the tranny are the batts. Behind the batts is the rear shock tower, behind which is the reciever.

Plenty of pics can be found here. There should be enough for you to see all the wiring. If you need more pics, let me know, and I will post more.
http://picasaweb.google.com/sutyen/B...65109898135634

ALso, what settigns you want me to check for on the nomadio. THere is no channel mixing enabled. Not exactly sure what to be looking for.