Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

issues with ProLine Bowtie 40's

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues with ProLine Bowtie 40's

What do you all think about these tires for running in grass, infield and regular dirt; or are they strictly for racing?
So, I got a set off ebay, and unfortunately they are not in as good of shape as i thought from the picture. the glue job was sloppy and they were used in dirt before they dried.
What I am concerned with though is
1) The "flat spots" in the tire where it seems like the foam is very thin compared to the rest of the tire.
2) How would I separate the tire from the wheel. I have heard of baking it in the oven but I dont know the details on how to. I would like to take them off the wheel, sort out the foam issue, clean and re-glue the tires. Any suggestions?
3) I installed the wheels tight with the proper adapters, but they seem to wobble a bit when I throttle up with the wheels off the ground. I dont notice a wobbly difference when driving, but that was on grass. A week later i go to check the wheels and the adapter is loose(from last run). I re-tightened it, but it was so loose that if I was driving then the wheel would have come off due to the adapter unscrewing itself.
thanx for any input or opinions on this.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Flux Driver

Default RE: issues with ProLine Bowtie 40's

I'm not sure what to do in your situation but others here might. To remove tires, some people put them in a pot of water and boil them. Or come to a near boil. Then pull the tires off the wheels carefully. I think the best way to buy tires is to just get them brand new. If you get them used, you take a chance if they're already glued.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 PM
SAVAGEBANE

you are right about buying new tires/wheels, i have learned. where would i find more racers who are more likely to use bowties40s. i know we have mostly bashers here, but i could be missing something when it comes to the adapter screw backing itself out.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah just boil in water for a bit, then flip, thats what i've heard and seems better than baking, as for the flatspots the foam could be shot you may need to get new foam or just remounting it will do the trick,
as for the wobble they're not balanced, you'll need to do that, just use the search and you should get something, i'd try : balancing tires... tho that could be from the foam i'd re-mount um before you try balancing...

the lug
Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Have several sets of wheels that have had 2 or 3 sets of tires on them. I boiled them to get the old tries off. I tried backing them but it sure stinks the house up. [X(]
Old 02-28-2009, 12:20 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE

you are right about buying new tires/wheels, i have learned. where would i find more racers who are more likely to use bowties40s. i know we have mostly bashers here, but i could be missing something when it comes to the adapter screw backing itself out.
I have the Proline beadlock Commandoes on two of my Savages. Surprisingly, they have not backed out at all. A a basher, I chose the beadlocks so I can take off the tires without doing the pesky boiling or baking trick. But they do make the wheels very heavy. But beleive it or not, the higher wheel weights do help tons in pitching the nose of the Savage up and down in mid-flight.

As for the bow ties, they are for me at least all purpose; good on grass and on-road as well as some dirt. Not the best in any one terrain, but a decent compromise for all.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Flux Driver

I'll have to consider the beadlocks for my Flux if I use 3s lipo packs. Because the weight of the truck won't be that much of an issue with that kind of power, especially if the weight is on the wheels and not putting more pressure on the shocks.