Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Edge. You boys with this plane. I have a CG ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Edge. You boys with this plane. I have a CG ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 12:40 AM
gil-RCU
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Edge. You boys with this plane. I have a CG ?

I'll be done with this very soon. I need to get the CG right. My book says to have CG 4 1/2-5 1/4 from L.E. of wing, measured at the fuse. Is this right? I have been told that the CG stated it the book is not right. Thanx. Jim
Old 03-24-2002, 12:42 AM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Having the CG in that range worked well for me. I recommend that the CG be in the forward end of the range until you are sure of yourself.

--Edge
Old 03-24-2002, 01:02 AM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I just flew mine for the first time today! Mine balanced at the forward CG mark and did very well. I think I will move it reaward a little and see. But the forward CG (4 1/2 )location seemed safe, and a good place to start. If yours flies as well as mine your going to love it. I would sart forward and move back.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:41 AM
gil-RCU

Default CG

KO. oops, I was just thinking about a inverted spin:^) OK. I can't wait to get her going.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:08 AM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

Do you balance a Edge 540 in the upright or inverted position?

4" is what I heard works really great. Mine seems almost tail heavy at the 4" point.

Thanks for a response.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:51 AM
capthis

I balanced mine upside down at the 4 1/2 inch mark and it flies great! I am going to move the cg back a little more yet but I think for normal flying the 4 1/2 inch should be fine. It will flatten out pretty well in an inverted flat spin. I have only flown mine 3 times now ( I cooked a elevator servo on the 3rd flight) but I already love this plane. I am going to try a 17-6 apc soon as I get mmy servo fixed (replaced) and hopefully I will have a little more thrust. I am currently running the 16-8 apc on the saito 180 and am in need of some more motor! Hope this helps, I think you'll love this plane too once you get it flying.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:25 AM
pmartjr

Gil, be sure you follow the recommended settings for the elevator throw. I know it doesn't seem like enough, but trust the book, it is plenty. If you get too much elevator, this baby will snap right now, but other than that, they fly great. FWIW, I have my CG more near the rear of the range and still very stable. Maybe why my elevator is as sensitive as it is though.

Capthis, you will indeed like the 17-6 APC. That is what I use and mine is truly a power house with "unlimited verticle", as they say. I do use the 30% Heli fuel that Horizon recommends, that could make a difference also.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:19 PM
capthis

I just hate to put 22 dollar a gallon fuel through it. I have some 30% and haven't had time to try it yet. I have way more throw then what the manual calls for and I like it that way. But I am used to these airplanes and to sensitive controls. Mine doesn't seem to want to snap real bad and slows really slow for landing a lot slower than my cap. Happy flying!
Old 04-06-2002, 02:23 AM
gil-RCU

Default edge

Hi all. Thanx for info. I'm still waiting for the weather to come around here in WI. My plane is right at 12#. It has a Saito 1.80 in it with twin elve. servos. I would think this Saito would pull this thing out of sight. I will be using a 16x8. But, I see some of you have used 17x6. Is thier really more pull to the 17x6?
Old 04-07-2002, 12:34 AM
wildthng

Hey gil what did you use to connect your elevater servos.I,m thinking of using carbon fiber rods on mine but could use some advice.What servos are you using also.I have 605 hi teks for the wings and elevators and a 615 for the rudder.I'm using a OS 160 to power up this bad boy.Its getting broken in and is now spinning a 18/8 master air screw at 9100 with my jet muffler on 5% OMEGA.My favorite motor so far.I'm going to ballance mine at 4 1/2 to start.Did you use the sullivan hardware to hook everything up.I used there set up on my wings but am new to the big birds and don't now if it is strong enough and will hold up long.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:08 AM
PineBaron
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a Saito180 16x8 on 10%Cool Power and it leaps into the air after a few feet; hover it all day, unlimited vertical, 9800rpm. I am happy with it. I have maximum elevator setting for 3D; watch how much elevator you give when doing loops etc. it snaps; apart from that it lands like a trainer, looks great on the ground and in the air. I tried a 17x8 and I was not happy; may need more nitro which I refuse to increase. 17x6 may be worth a try.
All up weight is 12lbs 4ozs, no additional weight added. CG is 4 1/2 from the leading edge.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:29 PM
gil-RCU

Default wildthing

I put my servos in the tail. They are fut.9202(I think). Pritty much the same in the wing. I wanted alittle more torq. than stand. They all have H9 arms with 4-40 rods and Du-bro ball con. Everything turned out very solid. Your rud. sounds just fine. I'm also using a 6.4V batt. pack(5 cell). This , I'm told. Will give the servos alittle more torq. I put the batt. pack at the fire wall. The CG came out on the nuts. I have not put this bird in the air yet. But, very soon. Have fun. gil
Old 04-07-2002, 03:42 PM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

CAPTHIS, I appreciate the recommendation but flew mine yesterday for the first time @4". I figure I can always move it latter. What a blast!!!!
Contrary to the trend mine has a YS 140 with header and exhaust system fom Central Hobbies. I went with thw Hitec 5645 for rudder and elevator (one each) and the standard hardware for the elevator. While I wasn't too keen on the elevator push rod set up it worked fine.
I don't have a scale but guestimate a 12# rage being that I did no additional beefing up.

CAPTHIS- what kind of servo did you cook?

I ran a 16*10 prop and had "touch the sky" vertical! I am willing to give up some speed and will look into a 17*8 prop as you mentioned. What RPM will your Saito spin the 17*8 prop?

What a great plane!
Old 04-07-2002, 07:19 PM
wildthng

Gill were you located at in wi,Im up in land o'lakes(20 miles north of eagle river)we still have a foot of snow up here but the lakes are great to fly on rite now were the snomobile trails cross them.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:47 PM
gil-RCU

Default On the lake!?

Now that would be fun! I'm down by Madison. Just a bit cold and very windy. The field that I would be flying off would be all mud.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:10 PM
capthis

Big ben, The servo I "cooked" was a hitec 77bb It is a low profile aileron servo. I have one of these for each elevator. I know this is an aileron servo but I had them. On 6 volts they are supposed to be over 60 once inches of torque. I talked to the hitec rep at toledo and he said send it in, and they would take care of me. Your YS 140 is a heck of a motor. The guys in henderson are running the 18-6 carbon fiber prop on this engine. On similar planes. Its a mejlick (spelling) I think. I don't have the saito 17-6 apc prop rpm reading yet. I plan on going and getting the prop today. They didn't have any at toledo! I will get back to you on that. But I garuntee your YS is a little stronger. And your right you can always move the cg back. I hope you like your plane. As soon as I get a servo I'll be back in the air!