Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Amazing, unbelievable, powerful

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:10 PM
3-172IN MTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazing, unbelievable, powerful

Alright, so I might have gone overboard.

I have been spending all winter pretty much getting my trucks ready to go and finally there is a break in the weather and I was ready to go.

We all know I sent my ClockWorks modded Picco 28 to BudBud to see what the issue with it was as it was overheating and this would be my first real issue with it.

So, yesterday I went out and a servo went out on me after about 30 seconds. The servo for my throttle and brake. Thank god it was at an idle when it died. To continue.... Today I changed out the servo, changed my 52 tooth spur for a 49 and went outside to test it out.

This engine is amazing, I cannot believe how powerful it is when things are working the right way. Even with the taller spur it wheelies on command, even at a roll, and it is impossible for it to stay planted while it is shifting gears. I was blown away.

I am sorry that I did not take video today as it was just a test run, but there will be more in the future.

This post was basically to say supertib, your work is beautiful, your engines are strong and anyone who says differently is out of their tree.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Amazing, unbelievable, powerful

ORIGINAL: 3-172IN MTN

Alright, so I might have gone overboard.

I have been spending all winter pretty much getting my trucks ready to go and finally there is a break in the weather and I was ready to go.

We all know I sent my ClockWorks modded Picco 28 to BudBud to see what the issue with it was as it was overheating and this would be my first real issue with it.

So, yesterday I went out and a servo went out on me after about 30 seconds. The servo for my throttle and brake. Thank god it was at an idle when it died. To continue.... Today I changed out the servo, changed my 52 tooth spur for a 49 and went outside to test it out.

This engine is amazing, I cannot believe how powerful it is when things are working the right way. Even with the taller spur it wheelies on command, even at a roll, and it is impossible for it to stay planted while it is shifting gears. I was blown away.

I am sorry that I did not take video today as it was just a test run, but there will be more in the future.

This post was basically to say supertib, your work is beautiful, your engines are strong and anyone who says differently is out of their tree.

That is awesome news.... I love hearing these stories... LOL ... Its funny that everyone who buys one of my Picco's has high expectations based off the videos and reviews, however every single person is still surprised by how powerful they really are when they run them... I try to warn people these engines are beasts, but until someone runs one they truly will not understand .... Awesome work Earl I look forward to seeing some video's...

Old 03-08-2009, 04:32 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good deal! The weather is turning here and I think sunnier days are coming I can't wait to get the XL out in some nicer conditions. I had it out a few times during the winter But not enough. I want to finally get it out and see what it's all about. It is also one of bud buds.... however I don't think I was lucky enough to get one on steroids. But from what I've seen the 5-6 times this winter it still is a wild motor.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:07 PM
BudBud

I took some video today... imagine that... got a nice tumble that cost me another ten dollar Hot Bodies shock, I am about out of spares and will soon be going back to stock, this was the front shock on the left rear corner. What makes one shock kink? Anyway, this is my first Clocked Picco and I am trying to set the transmission. It is hard to do when you are having so much fun ripping through the grass and smoking tires. I came home for another shock and to let my thread locker dry a little... there will probably be video tonight. No collision with my knee or hand yet and no diving under the fence yet, but I AM headed back out. So far my three speed has sounded like a one speed and I think that speed is high.... see ya!

I will second the pat on the back, I have four of his engines now and they are all amazing, even the experimental two.... I was lucky enough to send him a 5.9 to look at and he went crazy on it! Then he did his first Picco 27 for me, took a gamble on the boost port and it is an absolute rocket! Glen
Old 03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Glad to hear you got to run it some man! I bet it is a rocket. Im gonna run this .25 into the ground and then i might upgrade. I thought about trying my own port job on it, but i hate to mess with a good thing. It has been running great, and i hate to mess it up. Of course there is always that chance i could turn it into a screamer.[8D]

Now, get some video up! It is raining here, and i need a new OWB, so i need some videos to watch. Should have the OWB for mine tonight, but its still raining too unless it clears up and is nice tomorrow, no running for me...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM
BudBud

I ran both modded 28s this afternoon, the old one first, after messing with it for over an hour, I was finally walking beside it as it went by and it shifted. It does not have low gear, but I cannot tell that it needs low gear. I ran the new one for a few minutes too, I probably need to make it shift a little sooner as it goes past peak before shifting, but this transmission is set up for my modded 27, when it gets back, I will toss it back in the X. I will be back with a link later...

The newer engine is pulling hard and I got it hot today, about 325. I put the Blazer body on and it was not getting enough air flow. It started high idling, I should have known something was up. Ran it a little bit and brought it in to check the temperature. 317, but I had to pull the body to access it and it idled for a few, so it may have been closer to 350. I went to restart it and my glow charger needs charged, my plug was a dull orange, daylight was about done anyway. It was fun, maybe not the most exciting to watch, but fun. Glen
Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
cummins driver

Hey Glen, what are some symptoms of a hot engine? I dont have a temp gun yet, so i just tune by ear, but im wondering what to look for as far as overheating. Will it start high idling, and have run on? Thanks!

Eric
Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
BudBud

Normally the exhaust note has kind of a ring to it, they are slow coming down off of a high speed run, not the cackle like a lean low speed has, they just keep turning rpm, a lot of times they will stall on acceleration or will not pull high rpm, like a lean engine, really, a lot of the lean conditions show up in a hot engine. A lot of engines, especially Piccos and even worse for modded Piccos will be very rich cold and it may take several minutess to get the temperature up, adjusting them before they get warm enough will cause a lean condition as the engine temperature rises, it needs more fuel.... fuel means oil, lubing and cooling. It is a pretty thin line that is easy to cross as conditions change...like putting on a body with no cooling holes. Glen
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
mhovanes21

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Normally the exhaust note has kind of a ring to it, they are slow coming down off of a high speed run, not the cackle like a lean low speed has, they just keep turning rpm, a lot of times they will stall on acceleration or will not pull high rpm, like a lean engine, really, a lot of the lean conditions show up in a hot engine. A lot of engines, especially Piccos and even worse for modded Piccos will be very rich cold and it may take several minutess to get the temperature up, adjusting them before they get warm enough will cause a lean condition as the engine temperature rises, it needs more fuel.... fuel means oil, lubing and cooling. It is a pretty thin line that is easy to cross as conditions change...like putting on a body with no cooling holes. Glen
Anywhere I can find a list of vid or sound clips of all these conditions? I'm wondering what this "cackle" sounds like...
Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 PM
BudBud

You want to hear the low speed setting too lean? About half the 5.9 videos have it!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1z09AutLA&feature=related]Axial 32 video, one of mine and loaded with lean low end sounds.[/link] Listen to it as it comes in from speed runs, instead of falling to idle, it has that nasty nanananananaaaaa on the way down. Glen
Old 03-12-2009, 06:30 PM
mhovanes21

Whats wrong with the Savage in this video? Its not mine but this is the exact sound my Savage makes after letting off the gas following high speed. I'd describe it as a "pulsing" sound

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZR5zWdIzDs&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
cummins driver

Its too lean on the low end. The low speed needs to be richened. It should fall right to an idle without doing that.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 PM
mhovanes21

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Its too lean on the low end. The low speed needs to be richened. It should fall right to an idle without doing that.
ok, so is that the infamous "cackle? guess I've got to tweak that a bit on mine. Is it normal for that sound to only develop after the engine has warmed to normal running temp? I usually don't notice it until maybe 0.5-1.5 tanks
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM
BudBud

Too lean on the bottom end or low speed. When it is cold out though, it is much tougher to get a good low end idle down. For us who do not race, it is not a huge deal. For a racer though, when they let off, they want it to shut down immediately as they use rotating mass to control their air time. For us, it is just a warning sign that we are too lean. Besides that, I do not care for that nasty death cackle. In all probability, the engine will not be damaged because of the low rpm involved. You are also sacrificing some low end power when it is that lean. The K5.9 is very hard to balance between power and too lean... I think their problem is port and timing, as Supertib fixed mine when he did the engine mods for me. Glen
Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 PM
BudBud

Wow!! We have some speed typers in the neighborhood!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 PM
cummins driver

I have noticed that it is hard to keep my LSN just right in the cold. The HSN is easy, but the LSN is a little more tricky.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
BudBud

That is a fact and the wildly fluctuating engine temperatures just add to the aggravation.