Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 40 / Saito 72 throttle hook up?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick 40 / Saito 72 throttle hook up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 40 / Saito 72 throttle hook up?

Greetings! Okay, on the Ultra Stick with the Saito 72 (engine horizontal like most), I ran the throttle pushrod out past the carb, then bent it back towards the firewall, then in towards the throttle arm, put a nylon ball and socket connector on the throttle arm because it would allow some angle as the pushrod hooked up to it. Well, it works.... but as the throttle arm travels through it's arc it puts some funny strains and flexes on the whole business. It just drives me crazy thinking that there must be a better way to hook it up.

Any ideas???

Ernie
Old 06-13-2003, 12:52 AM
f2titan

Seen these???

Dubro 4-Stroke Throttle Linkage

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD939&P=7
Old 06-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Ernie Misner

Originally posted by f2titan
Seen these???

Dubro 4-Stroke Throttle Linkage

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD939&P=7
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the head's up. Actually I have seen them in ads. I sure wish I could see a photo of one with the Saito mounted horizontally on the Stick.

Thanks a bunch!

Ernie
Old 06-13-2003, 07:26 PM
bentgear

Ernie, how sharp of a radius did you have to make in the 180 degree turn. What if you had reversed the carb 180 deg.
Ed M.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Bolter

Ernie, I am in the process of putting together an Ultrastick with Saito 72 as well. On page 42 of the April 2002 issue of Model Airplane News there is a picture of a Saito 72 setup. I would scan and copy this for you but that might be an infringement of copyright. It just appears to be a matter of drilling another hole for the throttle tube at the top of the firewall and routing it accordingly. My new Saito came with the throttle arm in completly the wrong orientation so I just loosened the setscrew and turned it down 90 D . Should be a straight connection with no fancy u-turns :-). Hope this helps!

A friendly Nova Scotian.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Bolter and Bentgear!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did reverse the carb first thing. Otherwise the needle valve would have been on the bottom.

Unfortunately I don't have that issue of MAN around here any more. I would love to see the photo and hopefully it wouldn't ruffle any feathers.

I think if the hole were re-routed to the upside of the firewall, that a small flexible type of cable would have to be used because of the arc the throttle arm would travel in.

Thanks for your ideas.... and when you get your throttle hooked up, please let me know how it works for you.

thanks ~

Ernie
Old 06-18-2003, 09:46 AM
bill100

earnie: just maidened ultra-stick .40 ARF w/ .72 saito this past week. (i filled in the original mounting holes in firewall and
re-mounted the engine upright.) rather than use the original throttle rod provided with the kit, i substituted a dubro engine control flex-cable assembly (dubro # 165 ) with dubro kwick grip E/Z connectors (#608) at the servo and the throttle. solder both ends of the cable to prevent unraveling. you will have almost infinate adjustablility in the throw. and easy to thread through the bulkheads. e-mail if i can assist in any way. bill beardsley
Old 09-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Bolter

Hi, I know it's been a long time since I first replied to you Ernie but for the sake of others who might be interested I'm sending a couple of photos of my completed set-up. Have had numerous fun flights with this plane and it is a great flyer! Hope you are enjoying yours as much :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107512_23968.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	50194  
Old 09-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Bolter

Here's another view.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107517_23968.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	50195