Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Constant gas flow, has anyone tried this ?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Constant gas flow, has anyone tried this ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Albatross
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant gas flow, has anyone tried this ?

Hi all

I wonder if this gas tank set up has ever been used by anyone succesfully and if it really works on gas engines?

Reason why I am asking this (or perhaps I am beeing too paranoic?), check out this:

[link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=41325231501487529]gas flow video[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28759.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1154246  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Constan gas flow, has anyone tried this ?

Basic header tank. Yes, it has been used but it's not even a little bit necessary for sport or competition flying. If you feel the need for the extra parts, work, expense, and weight, go for it.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Thats just a large tank feeding into a smaller or "header" tank. You would plug what I would refer to as the filler line on the smaller tank for flight. Not really necessary for gassers because the pump in the carb assures a constant fuel supply to the engine in most any attitude.

You see this basic setup used on helicopters (less the fill line on the small tank) and on some glo power airplanes. Again used to assure a constant, bubble free fuel supply to the engine. Glo engines die when bubbles go through the carb where the spark ignition on gassers keeps things going with maybe just a bit of a hic-up if the line goes dry for a bit.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Albatross

mm... makes sense, also the more complex the easier to fail.

I had a have had couple of dead sticks in the past due to a seemingly unknown reason, I wonder if what the video shows could ever happen to me.hh
Although this ariplane lands safely, its clunk will eventually be outside the flotation line.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting video. I always thought the fuel would stay at the back of the tank when the nose of the plane was pointed down. I guess not. I learned something.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
RTK

Default RE: Constant gas flow, has anyone tried this ?

I guess the argument about which way the fuel goes in your tank on a down line has been answered. Where was that video when the debate was hot and heavy.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Tired Old Man

Nice to see what happens. You still need to balance the position of the gas against what would normally be a substantially reduced fuel demand on a down line.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Albatross

That´s the point around the gas tank set up described in the schematic above.
I rarely do long down lines; however I do a lot of 3D.

The only other time where I have had thousands of questions in my mind aboout what did really happen to my airplane is right after experiencing a dead stick.
I wonder if this could explain some of them.
Anyway since the gas tank set up is rarely used I guess we don´t have a valid statistic data to confirm that this could bullet proof agaist dead sticks due to fuel starvation.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Most common cause of dead sticks in gassers is probably having the idle speed set too low. In glo engines, its probably fuel flow interruption. I have solved unexplained dead sticks on glo engines by using a small header tank mounted in the cowl area near the engine. Just never seemed necessary with gas though.

Gassers usually have long fuel lines. Just the fuel in the line can sustain a gasser for a very long time at low throttle or idle during downlines. The pump pulls fuel as soon as the clunk is back in fuel and the spark ignition assures the fire never goes out in the cylinder. All in all, things just work out to prevent problems. Just another reason people like gassers.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Albatross

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Most common cause of dead sticks in gassers is probably having the idle speed set too low. In glo engines, its probably fuel flow interruption. I have solved unexplained dead sticks on glo engines by using a small header tank mounted in the cowl area near the engine. Just never seemed necessary with gas though.

Gassers usually have long fuel lines. Just the fuel in the line can sustain a gasser for a very long time at low throttle or idle during downlines. The pump pulls fuel as soon as the clunk is back in fuel and the spark ignition assures the fire never goes out in the cylinder. All in all, things just work out to prevent problems. Just another reason people like gassers.

After reading your reply, I feel more comfortable now.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Too bad it is not clearer, but still a very cool video. Interesting....

AV8TOR
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Tired Old Man

The header tank concept is used quite a lot for gas engine installations. Engine stops from fuel starvation just don't happen unless the tanks are dry. However the planes aren't used for aerobatics either.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Lnewqban

The fuel in the header tank behaves just like the fuel in the main tank, just as shown in the video.
Note that the fuel is always sucked from the central point of the header tank.

When bubbles arrive from the main tank, they go to the top of the header tank, regardless the position of the airplane, and stay there.
As long as the growing accumulation of air does not reach that central point, the engine receives fuel.

Later, when refueling, that big bubble of accumulated air is pumped back to the main tank, and the next flight starts with an airless header tank.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Same system used in turbines. Main tanks feed a hopper tank to keep air out of the lines. A must for jets. The hopper tank is tilted at a angle to keep the air on top. Dennis
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
kenhiraihnl

ORIGINAL: lnewqban

The fuel in the header tank behaves just like the fuel in the main tank, just as shown in the video.
Note that the fuel is always sucked from the central point of the header tank.

When bubbles arrive from the main tank, they go to the top of the header tank, regardless the position of the airplane, and stay there.
As long as the growing accumulation of air does not reach that central point, the engine receives fuel.

Later, when refueling, that big bubble of accumulated air is pumped back to the main tank, and the next flight starts with an airless header tank.
the 2oz header tanks in my helis are always full (no air)...when i see air in the header tank, it's time to come down and land...or be prepared for flameout autorotation...lol...ken