Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Superstar 40 - Do I need to remove Aelerons to glue the hinge?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbico Superstar 40 - Do I need to remove Aelerons to glue the hinge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 06:52 PM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Superstar 40 - Do I need to remove Aelerons to glue the hinge?

Hi - On my hobbico superstar 40, the instructions talk about removing the aeleron (and rudder) in order to be able to glue the hinges to the wing and the control surface. There is an addendum added on a slip of paper that says if you have CA hinges you do not need to remove them from the aeleron itself for glueing.

My problem is that the aeleron and rudder will not come off of the wing of the tail no matter how hard I pull. I pulled so hard i was scared of ripping the control surface to pieces! Is it possible that the hinges are ALREADY glued in to the wing and tail? I am really hoping someone is going to say yes.

Regards,
phoTToniq
Old 06-12-2003, 07:27 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an ARF Superstar 60. On that plane, the control surfaces were pre installed. If you tug the hinges firmly and they won't budge then leave them, they're glued.
I've also got a Brightstar in a box. The control surfaces on that are pre-installed too. I suspect the same goes for all the Hobbico ARF's that have the sticky backed covering.

My Hobbistar however, has iron on covering and the control surfaces are not pre hinged. To secure CA hinges you install the control surface first then apply a few drops in the crack.

I learned this the hard way when building a Hobbico Sturdy Birdy. The instructions were not specific and I applied the CA before sliding the ailerons onto the wing. This stuff dries instantly! The aileron was halfway pushed in when the glue suddenly cured...
Old 06-12-2003, 10:31 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

If they seem firm then they are probably pre glued, but a little drop of ca wont hurt if they are, and you'll know for sure that they have been secured.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:58 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

If you purchased the airplane as a preassembled ARF then all the movable surfaces are preinstalled and glued with CA glue. I'm talking baout the ARF kit where you still have to join the wing halves and install the horizontal and vertical stabilizers.

Hey we all have to start somewhere and it certainly helps to have an experienced friend to inspect your work as you go. Before you fly it make sure you have an experienced pilot check it out, inside and out. Likewise, I would encourage you to epoxy the wing halves together and not simply rely on the metal connector that holds the wing halves together with two small wood screws.

This is a great trainer. My son and I both learned on this airplane. Make sure you have an experienced pilot help you on a buddy box. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:58 AM
photoniq

ok i should own up and mention that this plane has sat in my attic for over 6 years unbuilt. It is probably a lot older than your one and did not come with a metal connector for the wings. Instead, there were three pieces of wood which I laminated together. I used copious amounts of epoxy as you suggest in anticipation of some very exciting landings

Thanks for your great advice I think the wings are preglued as you suggest but will drop some thin CA in there just to be sure.

I love this forum - its great with very speedy replies.

Thanks again,

phoTToniq