Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat NEW Li-Po ECU Batt

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat NEW Li-Po ECU Batt

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JetCat NEW Li-Po ECU Batt

Hi Guys,

I have just received the latest P-200, Kero Start, and the ECU Battery is now a Li-Po / 2s / 7.4V / 3300 mAh (see photo)

It’s very light at only 220 grams (including the 2 feet of cable), this is a great move on JetCat’s behalf and definitely the way forward, here are some results.

After setting up the ECU for Kero Start, Learning RC, adjusting some Limits, doing all the tests, purging the fuel and kero system … etc … etc. Then doing a Start Cycle and a run at full throttle (increasing the throttle very slowly to allow the fuel pump to learn), then a few slam tests … etc … etc (as you do), then the shutdown and finally the cool down cycle.

Then the battery was put onto my Schulze isl8-936g Charger and the total charge was only 283 mAh. So a normal flight should use about 500 mAh which means a very safe 3 flights for the day. I guess my point is that with the kero start system and heavy duty starters in these big turbines the old Ni-Cad pack that came with the turbine wasnt up to the task, at least the manufacturer has catered for our needs.

As you know the P-180 and P-200 share the same Heavy Duty starter motor, in fact these turbines are exactly the same length but the P-200 casing diameter is about 10mm bigger than the P-180.

So well done to JetCat, they get a thumbs up from me yet again!!!

Darryl Tarr

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61244.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1163057  
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JetCat NEW Li-Po ECU Batt

Sweet!

Now get rid of it and get yourself an A123 pack!

You'll be a lot better off (and safer) down the road.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Mace
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: darryltarr

Hi Guys,

I have just received the latest P-200, Kero Start, and the ECU Battery is now a Li-Po / 2s / 7.4V / 3300 mAh (see photo)

It’s very light at only 220 grams (including the 2 feet of cable), this is a great move on JetCat’s behalf and definitely the way forward, here are some results.

After setting up the ECU for Kero Start, Learning RC, adjusting some Limits, doing all the tests, purging the fuel and kero system … etc … etc. Then doing a Start Cycle and a run at full throttle (increasing the throttle very slowly to allow the fuel pump to learn), then a few slam tests … etc … etc (as you do), then the shutdown and finally the cool down cycle.

Then the battery was put onto my Schulze isl8-936g Charger and the total charge was only 283 mAh. So a normal flight should use about 500 mAh which means a very safe 3 flights for the day. I guess my point is that with the kero start system and heavy duty starters in these big turbines the old Ni-Cad pack that came with the turbine wasnt up to the task, at least the manufacturer has catered for our needs.

As you know the P-180 and P-200 share the same Heavy Duty starter motor, in fact these turbines are exactly the same length but the P-200 casing diameter is about 10mm bigger than the P-180.

So well done to JetCat, they get a thumbs up from me yet again!!!

Darryl Tarr

Safety should be an absolute must. The Li-po pack should perform well but always regard it with utmost precaution and it will work well.

MACE

Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Sweet!

Now get rid of it and get yourself an A123 pack!

You'll be a lot better off (and safer) down the road.
Well don't forget to add that the ECU has to be sent back to Jetcat to be made A123 compliant.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 PM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

.and what are you putting this monster into Darryl ? My 200 is loooking for a model.

A123s are very good too, both of my 160s have modded ECUs and start beautifully on the 123s which are safer, it seems, than lipos. Not that I have had any trouble with lipos except early failures.

I am also using A123s to power my PowerBox Royal, perfect except the battery "guages" don't display correctly. Going to try them on the Weatronics too.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:19 PM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi David,

Thanks for the info on the A123 Batteries.

The P-200 is going into the Skygate Hawk. The Hawk has flown with the G-Booster 160+ but I am not happy with the performance here with our high density altitude.

I was considering putting a P-180 in but the P-200 is only 75 grams heavier. My P-200 has a narrow nozzle cone and produces 56 Lbs of thrust (248 Newton’s). I have turned down the RPM quite a bit as I would rather have less stress on the turbine as opposed to running a P-180 with its guts hanging out (like the G-Booster was).

My Hawk is purposely heavies at 24 KGs DRY (the NEW weight with the P-200 installed), so the P-200 should be great. I have also installed a couple of extra BVM fuel tanks so my total fuel capacity is 5.6 Liters. As you know the P-200 fuel flow at Max RPM is 750ml a minute but with the RPM turned down I expect to get about 680, similar to the P-180 but with more thrust. I had to move the turbine back a couple of inches due to the extra lenght of the turbine and longer starter motor.

Hope all is well your neck of the woods.

Cheers,

Darryl

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59078.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1163955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53097.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1163956  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Darryl, don't forget that 750 ml/min is at 220N of thrust. You'll burn around 900 ml/min at 250N ( slightly less ).

So plan your flight time accordingly.

Let me know when you'll fly it. It's gonna be impressive...

P.S: I'll have the FOD screens at the end of the month, back from Houston.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Darryl, Thought it might be a SkyGate Hawk. Lovely model and increasing its weight will , I am sure improve its flying appearance.

Love to have one for my 200 but just too big to transport without a trailer.

Never had a problem with lipos but after some of the horror stories, I am increaingly using A123s where possible.

Hope to see you on a SYD transit !

Regards,

David.