Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The Tailpipe..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The Tailpipe..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Pete737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tailpipe..

I'm thinking about how important it must be to have your thrust directed EXACTLY in the center of the pipe.

I'm also thinking that I need some help in finding the best way to do it.

I have my turbine where I want it (fore/aft location) but before I lock it down I want to make sure it is properly oriented with the pipe. Should I fasten down my turbine or pipe first? What method would allow me to best set the distance from the thrust nozzle to the pipe?

Thanks! Pete
Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Tailpipe..

typically the aft end of the pipe is fixed with a former so you can't adjust it much so you're left with adjusting it via the front mounting tabs. some pipes have long tabs and can be adjusted quiet a bit others not so much. as far as mounting the turbine, the jet should already have mounting rails that set the centerline of the turbine then just match the front of the pipe to it and you're good in most cases. if you have it offset it'll hot spot the pipe and if off enough it'll burn a hole in it. also if you mount the turbine too far forward your pipe may come up short, you also don't want it too far aft or the pipe hangs out the back too much (looks bad)
Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hung a laser from the ceiling to center the turbine and the pipe....there is quite abit of side to side movement available before the engine mounts are screwed down... the laser line makes it easy to line everything up.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eyeball it and you'll be fine.

Les